Spartans Home

It all started with a coat of paint

Then we thought why not the floors, too. One room done last weekend. A second started this weekend.

To the annoyance of all, I found this:

post-516-1267977434_thumb.jpg

And then, after realizing the rest of the house will continue to look like a storage unit until the office is finished, I found this:

post-516-1267977578_thumb.jpg

The toilet is above right on the opposite side of the wall, the shower is above left. The rot is the subfloor underneath tile.

So much for getting the office sorted anytime this month. The desktop'll remain a bookbag-shelf in the dining-room until an unknown future date.

Huzzah for crappy shower installers!

With the exception of the Flooring in veiw It appers just in the drywall so hopefully it will be an easy repair.

Good luck!

I'll need luck, because the damage around the shower *might* have run down an interior wall to the first floor. This is another corner. What I think you miss in the photo is a good sense of what is above that rot mark, which is the shower itself. This is viewing the back-side of the bathroom wall.

Anyhow, in plain English it means the bathroom tile has to come up, the shower is getting torn out, and the same for the toilet.

If it dident eat the beams/wall studs your ok. Remove the walls around the shower along with the tiles, Replace the green sheet rock with Durarock cement backer board and put Dupont Tyvec behind the durarock. Retile the area and fixed. I have redone a couple of bathrooms. Replace the floor plywood, then tyveck, and anouther sheet durarock, then tile that. Fixed and it will last for 50 years.

You see the green sheetrock they use in the shower area is only water resistant, not water prof. The Dura rock won't rot out becouse its cement board. Runn the dura rock down to meet the top edge of the shower tub. When putting down the tiles fill that area behind the first bottom row if tiles with silicone to fill in that area and to seal it, outher wise water will leak in behind the tiles and run off the corners of the tub on to the floor inside the wall like the problem your getting now. Make sure to use Marine grade plywood to replace that fiber board thats in there now.

On that second pic, it doesen't look like much holding up the floor. Make sure theres beams under that area to hold up that floor under the tub. Should be a 2x6" or 2x12 set on edge floor joist/beam every 12" to 24" or so for the entire second story floor.

IPB Image

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

I see one of the floor beams in the second pic at the bottom, I would put a couple of 2x4 in there to connect to the virtical 2x4 that are the support of the back wall of the shower. Whats to prevent those from moving. Nothing. Hitt against that wall hard and that wall might pull apart and open up from inside the bathroom outward.

I see one of the floor beams in the second pic at the bottom, I would put a couple of 2x4 in there to connect to the virtical 2x4 that are the support of the back wall of the shower. Whats to prevent those from moving. Nothing. Hitt against that wall hard and that wall might pull apart and open up from inside the bathroom outward.

That's what I thought, too. I don't see the benefit in having one of those studs perpendicular to its partners, like the builders did, but this was a DIY house that I'm renting from the home's 3rd owner (in 8 years). Anyhow, we'll just have to take the repairs in stride. The deeper we dig, the worse it gets. This AM I found the rot into the hallway as well, from the opposite corner of the shower.

Agreed as well that cementboard should be in the showerspace. It's a standing shower and superbly shoddy. Also, the molding isn't wood, it's MDF and shite for the selected use. (so the molding got mold). You see the backing to one piece I replaced a few weeks ago when I first found the rot. That piece is solid spruce. Too bad it'll have to go as well, but we pretty much have to remove that entire section of the house (two walls, floors, plumbing, tile, etc, etc). One of these days I'll get back to ARMA. No easy fix either when it's our only shower.

Well Gentelman, I have learned thru the school of hard knocks. Of haveing to do the repairs myself. Haveing my first house a small one built back in the middle 80s had only 1 shower as well. After a few years in the house, showering one day a tile fell off the wall in the shower and fell on my foot. So I had to learn the fine art of home repair as well. After reading on the subject and building stuff and many hours at lowes and home depot buying lumber and stuff for most all home repairs, you tend to pick it up after awile. If you don't you end up broke getting this stuff fixed. So I have become over the years fairly profishant at fixing this stuff. I am a mechanic so it comes second nature to me.

So if this house is rented, I would contact the owner and have him send a crew in to retrofitt the bathroom. He is soley responsible for its condition for major repairs. Unless you agreed to do all repairs wile liveing there. In wicth case I would cover it back up and look for anouther place to live quickly. It will cost alot getting this done buy a contractor, to the tune of a couple thousand bucks. If you are going to do the repairs expect to spend 20 hours and $500 or so to complete right. $200 or so for a cheap repair.

I don't mean to hog up this thread. I can guide you thru this repair if you have to do it, and have some skill and some tools. I am happy to assist you in any way I can. Let me know.

If a Fellow Spartan is in need, and I know how to help, Feel free to ask my spartan brothers! This is SPARTA! we leave no one behind!

So if this house is rented, I would contact the owner and have him send a crew in to retrofitt the bathroom. He is soley responsible for its condition for major repairs. Unless you agreed to do all repairs wile liveing there. In wicth case I would cover it back up and look for anouther place to live quickly. It will cost alot getting this done buy a contractor, to the tune of a couple thousand bucks. If you are going to do the repairs expect to spend 20 hours and $500 or so to complete right. $200 or so for a cheap repair.

The landlord and I have a good relationship. I've been completing some minor repairs and upgrades, like new flooring in some rooms, at my labor and his parts cost. (There's a huge housing crunch in my area, and I'll do what it takes to keep our rent stable-the guy could get so much more for our place). As far as the bathroom goes, I don't think he'll question hiring a contractor for that level of repair. The shower'll need to be replaced, since it is what was leaking in the first place, so that's $500 or so right there. Anyway, once the repairs begin and the subfloor is replaced, then I can probably begin reassembling the office while the rest of the work continues in the bathroom.

Good! im glade your not getting hung with that repair. Im sure you could handle it ok. But if your renting have the owner do it. Beleve me ive had to construct a portible shower in the back yard a time or to in the past.

Dureing the hurricanes of 2004 I was with out power for 7 days and had to do what ever it took to make it.

Update:

Landlord saw the damage and will work on pricing and contractors for the bathroom. Good. I also went ahead and finished repairs to the floor with a scarfed chunk of subfloor to replace the rot. Also took the chance to fix a squeak and a 3" hole left from some heavy construction tool, new subfloor secured by cleats, deck screws and PL Premium adhesive (the bugger ain't squeakin' anymore). The sheetrock is patched and faired, with a last bit of sanding later this PM.

Then, the fun starts. I found a classic-looking "sea spray green" to paint the room. That's what I wanted to do in the first place.

Maybe, fingers crossed, I'll have the room painted and the floor installed by Sunday. Still moldings to clean up and reinstall, and that will take a few more days.