Spartans Home

Is this a real picture???

It looks like The UK to me. would be hard pressed to recreate it. My question is if England and Scotland are snow covered, then why is the part of Ireland that you can see GREEN? Makes me wonder.

Why the inquiry?

This was January? We had a lot of snow, ground some of the country to a stand-still. Siberian winds from the east meant that the snow didn't hit Ireland to the west.

Edited by andrewman~SPARTA~

It looks like The UK to me. would be hard pressed to recreate it. My question is if England and Scotland are snow covered, then why is the part of Ireland that you can see GREEN? Makes me wonder.

Why the inquiry?

I was thinking the same thing, which made me wonder if it was real, that and the whole of the UK being under snow was just mind-boggling. Also, an Irish friend told me they had dyed the snow green for St. Patty's day, so that explains some things.

Satalight imagery, Don't forget they can read the plate on you car as well. Change it over to thermal and tell how many people in your house and if you have metel strip money, how much money in your pocket and how long ago you have driven your car. Look up your name buy your address and then retreve your cell phone simms, and monitor all your phone calls as well. And track you as you drive anywhere in the world buy satalight or traffic camras.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

If climate change heads in the direction scientist are predicting, Europe and the UK can expect more of this in the future. But, wow, that is an amazing picture, I'd be interested to know from our UK friends how many times they remember seeing this happen in their lifetime?

If climate change heads in the direction scientist are predicting, Europe and the UK can expect more of this in the future. But, wow, that is an amazing picture, I'd be interested to know from our UK friends how many times they remember seeing this happen in their lifetime?

Over the last few years our winters have become colder but as far as snowfall goes, what we've had more recently doesn't even come close to snowfalls from my youth. Going back 30 years we would regularly get upwards of 6" of snow, compared with now when we're luckly to see as much as 4".

What appears to be the case now is the snowfall is worsened by the extreme temperatures, freezes causing hazards and lingers.

My kids struggle to believe me when I recall stories of walking to school in drifts pushing 3 - 4 feet.

I read one of those scientific articles somewhere a few months back that there was a theory the Earth is on a 30-yr cycle of cold/hot/cold, and it would make sense, because I'm 30 and remember the only snowfalls like the ones we had this year and last year were when I was about 4-5. Then it generally got warmer, and now, for the past 2yrs, it seems things are getting colder. Of course, my memories of snow don't match the snowfall my parents had, so it makes sense.

They have recorded thru out history, what they call mini ice ages. It goes in cycles. I don't agree with this global warming thing. They say to much carbon emissions is the problem. Everything on the planet is made from carbon. Just like the r12 freon scare. That was found to be false.

Well, I don't want to debate climate change, as it comes too close to politics here in the states, but global warming is a horrible title for the patterns scientists see in nature. The mini Ice Age was in the Medieval period and it was due to a massive infusion of fresh water out of the Great lakes (glacial lake Agassiz), the thought was that it caused a fresh water "dam" that shut down the Thermal-Haline circulation (the gulf stream, salty water moving south pulling warm fresh water north thereby cooling our planet), well redirected it really, it's ALL relative. The gulf stream is why the north of Europe is so much warmer than say the latitudinally similar US. Beer and other wheat and barley beverages are so popular in those parts due to that climate regime. Climate, like geology, is a long term process, and carbon is only half the story. But as temps go up, the extreme weather patterns will as well, and warm is a relative term, but globally, the earth has been trending warmer for last 18 to 20 thousand years, the next 2000 will be the tell tail in terms of our local climate impact. If I could divorce politics and fox news from the climate debate I would, suffice to say that it's 3 parts natural, and 1 part human (at least that is what the majority of real research has shown) and in there lies the debate.

Sorry to geek out on you guys about this, I've been a geologist and environmental scientist for the past decade, and it sorta just leaks out sometimes.

-B