Spartans Home

ATI 5870 arma 2 no activity

EMT~SPARTA~

So I play any other game and my activity monitor in the ati control panel is doing something...

But when arma 2 is up, Nothing! NAda... No activity, and it seems to run worse then my nvidia 9800gx2 (just this game)

Any suggestions?

So I play any other game and my activity monitor in the ati control panel is doing something...

But when arma 2 is up, Nothing! NAda... No activity, and it seems to run worse then my nvidia 9800gx2 (just this game)

Any suggestions?

-What driver version? "activity monitor"? did you install this card AFTER installing game? Windows OS? If Win 7, verify card shows up properly in direct x 11 and possibly see if update to DX11. To get into direct X, hold down win key (key with flag left of left side Alt key on most KB's), then type "dxdiag" in run box. Also use option to save to a file and post here.

-Did a full uninstall of nvidia drivers? make sure that all .dll's are removed with their driver uninstall tools or search for one called NFR, this looks for driver files and wipes em out, be sure you don't remove the ati drivers with it though, you will see it where to unselect what drivers to search for.

Edited by SirSmokalot

Did you hit it with a hammer yet?

Sorry but I am an nVidia fan so the best I can recommend ar eht egeneric reinstall steps.

I would Uninstall EVERYTHING that came with the card including drivers. Run a driver cleaning tool. Physically uninstall and re-seat the card, checking for damage and/or built up dust. Also make sure your PSU is providing enough power.

Reinstall the latest drivers in SAFE MODE and reboot immediately. Hopefully this clears up the issue.

When stuff like this happens, it is best to just start over and be as careful as possible with each step.

Just want to clarify something. Athalon64's post made me rethink.

I assumed ArmA II would run but was running worse than your old gfx card and if you alt-tab'd and checked, the activity monitor showed nothing.

Is this correct or is it as Athalon64 intimated, that you get nothing (ie no screen) when you start ArmA II?

No, not a problem. Just its funny just the game shutts down on him and everything else works ok. I had a simular problem and was just gessing as to what his is. Becouse some of the games would black screen on me as well. Maybe but if you know more please tell.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

EMT,

Please post a few info:

- OS

- catalyst vers.

Then:

what procedure did you go through when you installed the card.

Situation may differ depending on OS you have. Visit the AMD/ATI driver doawnload page and be sure to download and install the most recent Catalyst 10.2 for your OS and card

Before trying any driver install you should totally clean up any previos version. Procedure is different depending what OS you are using.

There are no reports on Internet about Arma 2 and HD5870 incompatibility, then this is a matter of wrong installation, wrong driver, other issues local to your machine.

With some patience we will be able to pinpoint each one possible issue. Dont get in "panic mode'. You got one of the best cards on the market, you are going to enjoying it. Period.

What Batwing said is basically getting at but was fairly out and I was slightly faded.

Yea you should be running ArmA 2 pretty well honestly, I run a 3850 overclocked from HIS and I have way less stream processors then your card!!! Like almost a 1000!

Make sure one of your other games didn't do something crazy with your direct X especially if you're running XP. This sounds like something I had happen a long time ago with ArmA when I updated Battlefield 2 and it updated my Direct x and fubar'd it and when I would fire up all black screen or the world in the background was all corrupt looking.

I saw that you didn't post anything about your OS type as what version of Direct X you are running is key. THIS IS ALSO KEY, the 5800 series is the first cards to fully use Direct X 11, and this has caused some issues for those not running Vista or Windows 7. So this bit of info is key to help ya.

Also are you running drivers off the disc that came with the card? Batwing mentioned that you need to upgrade if not done so already to the whole catalyst package 10.2. You can find your driver updates here:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Edited by SirSmokalot

Is your GPU/CPU clocking up for arma?

I had that issue on XP with a 9800gtx, and ati 5850, sometimes the cards would not clock up, or when I went into the map they could clock down after a while and not clock back up. I was able to fix that using ATI tray tools and making a profile for arma2.

Using windows 7 64bit now and have had no such issues

You can get ati tray tools here that work with the new cards.

http://atitraytools.tk/