Spartans Home

Kalxen, MH6, I'd like to respectfully request your assistance...

Yoshi

To help me with creating a dedicated server. I've been looking around trying to find a manual of some sort but am having no luck. How did you guys learn how to do it?

ETA: Arma2Server says it's running and I get a little window that says "Arma 2 Console version 1.05 port 2302 Sockets".

ETA2: I got the server up, but now Battleye isn't initializing. And when i try to connect I get stuck at waiting for host.

Edited by Yoshi

To help me with creating a dedicated server. I've been looking around trying to find a manual of some sort but am having no luck. How did you guys learn how to do it?

ETA: Arma2Server says it's running and I get a little window that says "Arma 2 Console version 1.05 port 2302 Sockets".

Sounds like its running then. Have you tried starting the game from another computer and logging into your new server?

I doubt the server will allow you to host and play on the same machine, but I could be wrong.

Sounds like its running then. Have you tried starting the game from another computer and logging into your new server?

I doubt the server will allow you to host and play on the same machine, but I could be wrong.

I can see it now, But when I try to connect, I get stuck at waiting for host.

Edited by Yoshi

Here you go. This is a fairly in-depth guide; you could probably get a server up and running with less, but this will give you the most control over everything.

1. Right-click ArmA2Server.exe and create a shortcut.

2. Rename this shortcut to Dedicated Server.

3. Create a folder in the ArmA2 root directory. Name this whatever you want.

4. Right-click the dedicated server shortcut and select properties. Add the following to the end of the Target field.

"<path to arma>\arma2server.exe" -netlog -port=[port you want to use] -name=[Folder name] -config=[Folder name]\Server.cfg -cfg=[Folder name]\Arma2.cfg -profiles=[Folder name] -mod=[Any mods you want to use]

Where [Folder name] is the folder you created a second ago (i.e. -name=MyServer). The entire thing should look something like this (this is mine):

"S:\arma 2 dedicated\arma2server.exe" -netlog -port=2305 -name=MyServer -config=DedServer\Server.cfg -cfg=DedServer\Arma2.cfg -profiles=DedServer -mod=@SpartaLib

Now then, create the following two files in the server folder you created in step 3: Arma2.cfg and server.cfg.

In Arma2.cfg, put:

language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=8021;
Resolution_W=160;
Resolution_H=120;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
viewDistance=10000;
terrainGrid=10;
MinBandwidth=15000000;
MaxBandwidth=100000000;
MaxMsgSend=1024;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=1024;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=64;
MinErrorToSend=0.0024999999;
MaxCustomFileSize=15000000;
Windowed=0;

In server.cfg, put:

password = "";  // password to protect server access
passwordAdmin = ""; // password to protect admin access
hostname="Yoshis Dedicated Server";  // This is the server name that will appear in gamespy

motd[]=
{
    "Welcome to my server",
    "Blah blah blah"
}; // Welcome message

motdInterval=50;  // period between motd rotation 

voteThreshold=1.5;  
maxPlayers=30;
reportingIP="";
voteMissionPlayers=0; // start voting when 1 players connect
logfile = "Server.log";

class Missions
{
    class MPCTF_01    // name for the mission, can be anything
    {
      template =co40_SPARTA_BIGDom_c_17TA2_West_R.Chernarus; //name of map
      cadetMode = 1;   // difficulty 0=veteran 1=cadet (not only AI, but radar, map etc)
    };
};

kickduplicate=1; // do not allow duplicate id
equalModRequired=0; // require equal mod
disableVoN=1;  
vonCodecQuality=7;
VonID=1;

timeStampFormat=full;

NetStats=1;
DeathMessages=1;
persistent=1;
BattlEye=1;
regularcheck="{}";

verifySignatures=0; //do we want to verify signatures? should do it for public servers!

Change whatever you want in server.cfg, for instance the hostname, MOTD (message of the day, which you see when you connect to the server), password, adminPassword, etc. Also make sure you set the Missions template field to a valid map you have, or take it out entirely. If you set it to a mission, it will default to this mission when you join the server. If you take it out, it will require you select the mission you want to play when joining.

To install BattlEye, download the BEServer.dll here, and create a folder in the folder you created in step 3. Name this folder BattlEye, and stick the BEServer.dll into it. Create a file in this same folder (where BEServer.dll resides), and name it BEServer.cfg (CASE SENSITIVE!). In this file, add the following:

RConPassword passwordYouWantToUseHere

This will allow you to use BattlEye's RCON commands.

Finally, open ports 2200 through 2400 for both UDP/TCP and forward it to your server box.

Double-click the Dedicated Server shortcut and enjoy.

So you're saying that just double clicking on the server .exe icon won't do it?

Yes and no......if you have missions in your MPMissions folder ready to go you can actually log into server as admin and force the server to start a mission, but understand that even the admin password and needs to be set in the config. Also you need to make sure what mods you want to run are activated as well since the exe just starts vanilla ArmA. There are a few server tools that make setting this up alot easier, I used to use Armatech's for ArmA 1, but dont think there's been a release for 2. There is however this nice tool from Gareth Clough (its kind of cumbersome I found though and if you want to get into the nitty gritty you still have to modify your CFG's.

Gareth's Dedicated Server Tool:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6156

And yes if your machine is powerful enough you can run a dedicated on your machine and play on it, as well as have others connect. Kind of rusty as I haven't done this in a few months, but you might need to set your game to launch at a different port then the dedicated, but be sure to run between 2303-2304, and have server run at 2302 or others will have problem connecting possibly. Its been a while but you have to do some "fandangling" to get it to work. In essence if you want to "host" a game, other then a dedicated, it might be an easier option for you. I do both in testing but haven't had a dedicated in a while!

Edited by SirSmokalot

Thanks for the template MH6! I've got it up and running now. Now I just need a way to determine what my limits are with my connection.....

ETA: Can I open the Dominatioin maps in the mission editor and add or subtract stuff?

Edited by Yoshi

The Domination map is much different than others. 1% of the "map" is in the mission.sqm that you can edit in the mission editor. The rest of it is actual code that you would need to edit in something like notepad++. To test, you'd need to run the code on a dedicated server, etc. So the development activity is much different than many of the canned coop maps.

That isn't really my point. I enjoy learning about things having to do with computers, In fact, I'm currently in training to get my Net+, A+, and Security+ certification. Simply, I'm trying to learn how to create and run a dedicated server. It's something I find interesting and this is the place I know of to learn how to do it, you guys run a great server so I figured you'd be the people to ask.

I'm not asking people to actually join on my server and play a real game, I just don't know what my connection will support. Right now, the only feedback I have is from being on by myself, and that doesn't give me any useful data.