Spartans Home

Did Someone say Cluster Bombs? *updated 7.10*

SirSmokalot

Just released these on the Forums at BIS.

Cluster Bomb pack Beta Release 1.0: CBU-87 / MK20 Rockeye / CBU-89 "Gator"

Hi all, thought I'd finally release the CBU's as a Beta release to the public.

YouTube Demo

A few things going on here, so I'll explain:

First off

This is a port and also a non-port of cluster bomb's in general. There''s been some nifty scripts out there simulating Cluster Bombs, but I personally just didn't think they fit for the effects. I've seen A-10's drop these and various other aircraft in Kosovo and the Serbian wars and they are quite a sight of devastation.

I still have some tweaks I'd like to do but I finally had to let go, lol.

Second part

The ported part is an improvement on the AT Rockeye release from back in ArmA 1. I got full permission from the guys at Arma Tactics before hand back in ArmA 1 and refreshed those rights when ArmA 2 came out. Thanks once again for letting me play around with them. I was further inspired to make my own model, but utilize the improved script and configs. I also wanted to make them as accurate as possible to the real thing yet also balance the bombs for gameplay. So I started modeling the SUU-64/65 carriers for the CBU-87/97 etc. So label it a port or not, semantics, really as these are to have fun with regardless.

The CBU-87 and 89 is what I've come up with so far, yet the CBU-89 is still in concept as its a mine laying cluster bomb instead of active warheads like the BLU-97 bomblets or MK118. I'm still working on this and may need some help as far as setting timers of how long the mines will be active then self destruct for gameplay reasons. Also seems at the moment the mines are hit or miss on being active. Hence BETA version, but the CBU-87 the main cluster bomb along with the MK20 Rockeye are ready and rockin'.

Also in development is the CBU-97 SFW. Details on this will come soon.

Last but not least

I've incorporated Fortran's camo and miscellaneous textures for the A-10. I think its nice addon to have and have incorporated textures modeled more for the Takistani terrain. This also was done with his permission, and thanks again Fortran!

++

In addition but not released yet with this, Mando has done it again....he has a heads up interface to work with the CBU-87 and various weapons on the aircraft. Its mission configurable and when he's given the ok to release it I'll tag it along with this release or even final release.

Thanks to:

Mondkalb and the AT team that put the Rockeye's together back in ArmA 1; Myke and his help on current IAWS; Mando for the interface work;Fortran for the Textures...good job; and any others I've missed so far!

NOTE:

• At the moment there's no server key at the moment till non-beta release.

• This also may need at least ArmA 2 to work properly as it hasn't been tested with just OpA as the standalone.

• The white stamp on the bomb is a tribute to the SPARTA community for setting up a test server and for all those that tested....too many names to thank in this regard so I'll leave it at that!

• Works with ACE but a dedicated release will come out that utilizes Flare and gun effects system. This will come out after non-beta release.

Download (filefront)

http://www.filefront.com/17012957/A2-OA_ClusterBombUnits-RC1.rar

Installation:

Extract file using an application like WinRAR.

Place sa_CBU.pbo into the addons folder of a particular Mod folder you have either created or that has been already created.

Activate addon folder with either a "launcher" or manipulating shortcut parameters.

Classnames:
Ammo:
MK20
MK20F35
CBU87
CBU87F35
CBU89
CBU89F35

Magazine:
MK20_2
MK20_F35
MK20_4
MK20_6
MK20_12
CBU87_2
CBU87_F35
CBU87_4
CBU87_6
CBU87_10
CBU87_12
CBU89_4

Weapons:
MK20_2Pod
MK20_F35Pod
MK20_4Pod
MK20_6Pod
MK20_12Pod
CBU87_2Pod
CBU87_F35Pod
CBU87_4Pod
CBU87_6Pod
CBU87_10Pod
CBU87_12Pod
CBU89_4Pod

Vehicles:
A10_MK20 //4x MK20 replace GBU's only on standard A10
A10_CBU87 //4x CBU-87 replace GBU's only on standard A10
A10_CBU //2x CBU replace Maverick ; 4x MK20 replace GBU's on standard A10_CBU89 //4x CBU-87 + 4xCBU-89, FFAR + GAU-8
AV8B_MK20 //2x MK20 replaces sidewinders on AV8B2
AV8B_CBU87 //2x MK20 replaces sidewinders on AV8B2
F35_MK20 // 4x MK20 replaces GBU's
F35_CBU87 // 3X CBU-87 replaces GBU's

A-10 with CBU-87's

a10cbu87.png

A-10 with MK20 Rockeye's

a10mk20.png

A-10 with CBU-87's and MK20 Rockeye's

a10cbumix.png

[still in development: Area Denial A-10 with CBU-87's and CBU-89's

a10ad.png

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Here's a video featuring these!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxQ-ftaCaW0

Thanks Z3no and the rest for setting up a server where I can test them.

As a tribute I applied the SPARTA sheild in honor of showing me the courtesy:

updatedcbu.png

I'll trim out the white around the sheild, but this will be a designation that a beta is being used FYI ;)

Final will have just a blackshield with the "Spartan".

Cheers!

Smoke

Edited by SirSmokalot

Glad to see you guys interested, I'll try to put together a beta for this weekend tonight!! I can't make promises as I like to make sure alot of areas are perfected and tend to get distracted with new ideas....last night possibly figured out how to do a BLU-108 similar to whats shown here:

(sorry for late replay and stagnant on forums, got caught up with work)

/add to airdom mod request list!!!

B52 is massive keep in mind and last I heard Gnat was working on a few details on it.

Keep in mind 144 of these bad boys is overkill lol.

one payload of my F111 variant (16x CBU-87's) can level a fair sized town like Chernogorsk (sp?).

Also a B52 vairant needs to be made with these loaded, doesn't replace current bombs (or replacement pack). I need to ask Gnat if I can add a B52 variant to the addon if anything.

(Proper permission is always the best in the ArmA addon community and all these addons have prior consent FYI)

Here's some final images!!!

Now finishing up an Alpha package of the F-111 with it so you guys can have some fun!!!

User posted image

(And yes that says WARNING: DO NOT DROP (ON FRIENDLIES!)

The Proxy object (or the model in which an object is attached to vehicle) is about the same as before but with updated textures, model shape hasn't really changed much that you as the user can see. Shares same texture though as shown above.

However here's the BLU-97 bomblet. Currently there's about 75 of these disperesed to keep the performance up. However in reality theres 220 of these nice shape charged bomblets ready to rock someone's world.

IPB Image

Edited by SirSmokalot

Hi fellas little update and question:

Here's what I've been readying for the package for fun:

User posted image

Its taken me quite some time to clean up the textures as alot of "materials" are refered from ArmA 1 and the locations have changed or material is no longer there!!!

Second part, who do I need to talk to about getting the addon uploaded to the server. I have an FTP but do I need to post links here or is there a place i can post effectively that will be somewhat private for initial testing? I'd like to have 3 phases of testing; 1st part a small select few test and make sure things work generally (I'll also do some testing before submitting to iron out major kinks), then have 1st phase group expanded for 2nd phase, and then 3rd be public sparta (only) beta.

Sound cool? Let me know!

The models look great. How much time did it take to make them?

F-111 model has been present since OFP but needed some updating. Currently the new one being built is taking about 2-3 months due to real life stuff. Alot of attention to detail is being made on this one.

The Bombs took me a total of about 2 weeks if you take out time at work, and other real life stuff, not to mention was learning along the way about a few things. Not to mention compared to regular bombs (which are very simple btw) the scripting takes more of the time adjusting this that and another thing. Yes more then messing with config I'll say, there's a"cluster script" that has been running through the BIS forums and some are ok and others just crap on ya. So I tried adjust these for game play, performance, new models, trying new things, and I finally have come to a point where they are playable and fun to use (not to mention real effective but not overkill from real thing, realism was the focus as well). They are fun but also decided to not make them too easy as the MK82, takes a bit of getting used to as the sghts don't take inot consideration of the bomblets so much. Still trying to figure out how to adjust the MK82 sight on HUD to coincide to drop.....ALOT of Calculations there. If anyone is aware of ways to do this let me know be glad to find out.

Now since we all here just play for the team work and really don't watch the score boards too much you won't mind but one flaw with these.....no kill points, yep no quid or notes for the sake of killing opfor. I tried and tried and still can't get the relationship of the bomb to bomblets to connect, inversely giving x amount of kills to pilot/gunner of said dropping vehicle (yes more then planes, talking about MLRS rounds in the works).

On a different note, realistically should have a solid release for beta first phase in a couple days!

Edited by SirSmokalot

I just tested the addon and it looks very good to me. I placed some T90s on the runway at utes and made a few bombing runs with the a10 in different loadouts.

The rockeyes and the clusterbombs were very effective against the tanks. But I need some practice for targeting. But they are a lot of fun.

I also unpbo ed the file to have a look at ur scripts and the explosion sounds.

For custom soundeffects I can highly recommend this page here:

http://therecordist.com/pages/downloads.html

Maybe u will find something more suitable for the explosion sound as these effects are high quality recordings and maybe you will find also something useful for your F111 model.

And it looks like the rockeye needs a texture.

Very curious to see the F111 model.

Great work

Nice glad you liked it!!

Yea the bombs take a bit of finesse to target and drop!! kind of like it as they aren't as simple as a MK82 drop.

As far as the textures for the Rockeye they do have some decent ones, but I modified the existing model by ArmA Tactics in order to make them more realistic (red nose cone) and more interesting. I'll look into making some new textures later if its necessary, but after all they are just bombs and some might not pay much attention to them I figured.

I was more or less going for a "shock and awe" with all the bombs though....glad to see you liked them!!

The F-111 has its own sound file that almost sounds spot on actually. I was referred to the site from the BIS forums actually and thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping they would have one for the F-111 honestly.

I can give you a "work in progress package, but have yet to put in work on the existing model for shadow textures and a damage model (model when the plane is damaged, uses existing).

I'll be forthright and say I'm not doing the final model for the F-111 as my friend local here in Austin is doing most of the work on that end (expert 3DS Max modeler) and he's looking to do alot more work over the Spring Break holiday coming up next week.

As a preview as to what the animations will be with the Flaps, PAVETACK assembly (the sight package mounted underneath the plane) unfolding and other animations here's a little treat for you on some progress we made a couple months back:

And another Model test, testing a few other animations, don't pay attention to textures it was a texture mapping test gone bad (lol). Also the afterburners were a bit exaggerated and that is being tweaked on at the moment:

I can give you a "work in progress package, but have yet to put in work on the existing model for shadow textures and a damage model (model when the plane is damaged, uses existing).

Thanks, but there is no rush. Take your time to continue your excellent work.

The previews are looking great aswell. I like the gear and the bay animation.

Any other plans for what comes after the f111?

Thanks, but there is no rush. Take your time to continue your excellent work.

The previews are looking great aswell. I like the gear and the bay animation.

Any other plans for what comes after the f111?

Thanks!

What may come afterwards? I was possibly thinking of doing the DPV variation that is highlighted in Battlefield 2. I like the model they have and have been looking at ways to introduce this, I figure ArmA 2 can benefit from a fast attack vehicle like this as the only thing thats fast in this category is the Motorcycle we've all been a costumed to in Domination. Other then that no other plans at the moment. Something might peak interest coming with the new ArmA release later this year. I'm sure there will be some migration work and after that might look into it at that time.

On a different note Jack (friend local to me) has some interest to make this custom futuristic attack drop ship he has modeled. Its quite interesting and when I have some images I'll be glad to drop them in. I'm not sure where it will tie in with ArmA but I'm sure the community in general will like it ;)