Spartans Home

Noob Happens

Yankee~SPARTA~

So I figured it would be comical if people posted their most noobish moments in ARMA history.

Here's mine:

When I first started playing ARMA, I really had no idea what type of game it was. When I was running around I saw people were building ai controlled assets and figured this was across the board. So the second or third time I played on the SPARTA server I went with MG gunner. As I approached the AO i saw a flanking group of infantry coming my way. Thinking I was super sneaky i decided to plant an MG nest in their path. As I stood there thinking I was the greatest war strategist ever i saw my awesome MG nest sitting there, almost beautifully waiting for a perfectly laid ambush.

It was about 15 seconds and 5 rounds to the chest later that I realized not only was my MG nest not firing back, but the AI was using it for cover.

Noob Happens.

So there we were... 6 of us huddled on the smaller ARMA2 map, nestled into a small copse of trees and tall grass atop a small hill overlooking an enemy fort.

Patrols to each side of us... armed technical patrolling the road back and forth...

We'd taken out the bulk of the tangos inside the fort that were near the entry on our side. I spotted a sneaky-bastage-sniper making his way towards us and the fort off to our right... he disappeared behind a wall momentarily and then I caught sight of him poppin his enemy ass out ever so slightly from the corner of the wall.

I held my breath and filled the bastage full of lead. He fell over dead and I was elated! My only real solo kill of the day! Huzzah!!!!

One minor issue...

It was Durka.

Before you all knew me very well, I gained a reputation for killing my teammates in unique and interesting ways. "Durka Nades" they called them.

As for Arma2, my most noobish moment came a couple weeks ago playing TacDom. Chopper 1 was busy lifting stuff, and a full Alpha team needed to get back into the fight after being killed in a helo crash on landing a few minutes earlier. I was MC, and decided I'd show these guys how to properly fly and land into a hot AO. I was coming in hot, about 240mph and about 8ft off the ground, slightly pulling up and throttling down, when the phone rang, I adjusted my view the wrong way, and hit a 5ft tall Christmas tree about 200m away from the LZ.

When I first got the game, never played original ARMA, didn't even play a minute of single player.

Jumped on the first public server on the list, there were tons of noob players shooting anything that spawned, I though the base was overrun, so next spawn, went all john rambo on them, only to be kicked and banned!

Really should have RTFM!

Hmmmm there are so many to choose from. I think this is the best though.

After a 1.5 hour long Spec Ops mission in ArmA1 w/ ACE and with no friendly KIAs, that Medic asshole suggested that instead of humping it back to base it would be faster to commandeer a couple UAZs and roll back to base in them. As we approached our friendly base, the FRIENDLY base gunners lit us up and we all died.

Some of you remember this I am sure. ;)

Oh and my first halo jump came about and I jumped and as I was about to hit the ground I realized that I hadn't figured out/asked how to deploy my chute yet. SPLAT! The following jump was a bit smoother though.

Too many to mention but this tops oh shite now I really am embarrassed list

Arma coop mission hours of work everyone in evac chopper 10 feet off ground (having completed all objectives)

Woop woops and all that hoorah stuff had broken out

I lay satchell in chopper and boom all dead, kin sixth sense mod had fuked me again

^lol :D

can't think of anything particularly special but killed a whole friendly squad when firing the arty gun, thought i would risk it but someone stepped infront of the gun when i fired. took us forever to get there to.

hit my mouse against the keyboard and fired a shot or two during coop missions to, kinda embarrassing.

might be better to ask other ppl what your worst moments were :D

My stupidest moment? Oh god there are lots to choose from, but I'll pick one that stands out in my mind.

We were attacking Stary Sober or Novy Sober, I forget which, and I was piloting the extraction bird. As I was coming in I noticed a few red blips on my radar which I made the mistake of ignoring not thinking they were very close. After landing and picking up a full helo of troops I was ready to move out, the mhq was already being taken care of. It was then I heard someone warn me that there was a Tunguska off to my right side (one of the red blips I ignored) I immediately went evasive and, knowing that I didn't have an mhq to worry about I decided it was a good time to get some low level flying in and impress the helicopter full of ground pounders that I had on board. I was doing great out to 150 yards, then at about 200 yards away from the LZ I ran head long into a tree, killing everyone.

I remember one of my first sessions on the Sparta server, where we were doing this "capture the general" sidemission.

We finally found the general but unfortunately it was not a rescue operator who find the general first. The effect was that this stupid general was not reacting to anything.

This was the moment when I stand in front of the prone general pointing my Dmr at his head and scrolling my mousewheel for changing the weapon I think. Anyway the action menu entry disappeared while I thought it was still there so I klicked the mouse and the general was dead.

Now try to explain this to somebody. New on the server, lost his patience and killed the general. Sidemission not resolved.

lol.. there are many of Noobs moments on my roster, however, i am still a noob, not having much time to really playing this game... so many to come I belive.

However, one pretty nice just happened yesterday .. uauauaua.. i m still laughing at myself !

I was on Sparta Server (where else I could be anyway??) and was supporting my team at my best, made a few kills, pertty cool so far.. so.. on my GPS minimap, close to my location i see NICO in blue, (I guess was NICO, but could be anyone else...) which usually means someone is down. So in my effort to help a nd revive a down teammate, on TS I said (and I hope noone heard me really) .."Nico, I m close to your location, hold on, getting there..."

Now, when i got there, there was this pretty nice red cross tent built there, showing on my minimap exactly where NICO was supposed to be... so I started going around the tent, up and down, searching for my teammate down.. and could n t find him....

Afte a couple of minutes, i notice someone passing by and removing the medic tent... and Pufff the blue mark disappeared !!!

There I understood i was trying to cure a medical tent......

I am still laughing !!!!

Yar, back i the day.. I learned that as an engineer you could drive a Salvage truck up to a D30 in the AO and steal it to redeploy for your own needs. Well, I would drive all night long all ove rthe map to find a D30, finally load it up, and took it to the hill overlooking the current AO, Novy Sobor. Durka was trying to do some tactical play just below me. I thought I would help out, ooh, there is a tank nearby!

So, after about 10 minutes of apologies for mistaking the MHQ for a BTR-90...... lets just say I hid from everyone for that weekend.