Spartans Home

OFP:DR

DaiSan

Very disappointing in so many ways, and most of that disappointment has less to do with the actual GAME, and more to do with the so-called "community".

I've only visited the official Codemasters OFPDR forums twice; after the announcement that dedicated server support had been dropped, and again today.

In each case, all I can say is, if I were on the development team for OFPDR, not only would I be dropping the game like a hot potato, I would probably find a new career.

To say that the posts in the CM forums sickens me is a severe understatement. I agree that the game could have been so much better, that perhaps it was rushed, and that it certainly has its flaws. But to suggest that Codemasters purposefully released a faulty product so as to turn a quick dollar is so far removed from reality that I can't even begin to imagine how it is that people seriously believe this rhetoric.

There are so many complaints about a "lack of communication from the development team", yet those making the complaints would certainly delete most of their email if it was comprised primarily of hate mail and vitriol without so much as a shred of constructive criticism or suggestions.

I decided against posting any of the above in the CM forums, because the responses would have only been insinuations about how I was secretly working for the company in order to improve PR or some other such (and much more obscene) nonsense.

While gaming in general has become much more mainstream and acceptable, it's situations like this that give gaming a black eye and provide fuel for the fires for people and organizations that look down upon our hobby. You don't see news stories about how a large group of people from diverse cultures and backgrounds can get together for a fun session of online gaming that involves teamwork and communication; it's the flame wars and the hating that gets more of the attention.

Yeah, if I worked for CM, I'd say, "Well, sorry about that. Perhaps you should make a better game, since you seem to know everything. And when it's done, I will tell you how much it sucks, along with your mother, your family, dog, wife, girlfriend, etc."