Spartans Home

TOYOTA

Athlon64~SPARTA~

To be Fair I do like my Toyota's and they have always been a good car. And a friend of mine did get a recall notice on a 12 year old one once.

I think there are problem's with many cars in this day and age. And I think Toyota have been big enough to admit it.

Take the FORD Ranger, a mate of mine had 3 gear boxes replaced under warranty once, when he went reading about it lots of people had the same problem. But FORD waited for the problem to happen before doing anything.

They really should have recalled em. But by doing a recall is bad publicity and many motor company's don't need this right now.

Just my penny's worth.

It actually happens all the time, many things that should be recalls are hidden from the public with "service bulletins" sent to the dealers so they fix the problem when the vehicle comes in for service.

It is possible this recall will spread to other manufactures as many share various parts suppliers.

My wife brought her 2007 Toyota Camry in for an oil change, informed her that the water pump had to be replaced. Took care of it no charge. Warrenty was way up. Could have been a future recall?

Still very happy with Toyota (so far).

Denny

To be Fair I do like my Toyota's and they have always been a good car. And a friend of mine did get a recall notice on a 12 year old one once.

I think there are problem's with many cars in this day and age. And I think Toyota have been big enough to admit it.

Take the FORD Ranger, a mate of mine had 3 gear boxes replaced under warranty once, when he went reading about it lots of people had the same problem. But FORD waited for the problem to happen before doing anything.

They really should have recalled em. But by doing a recall is bad publicity and many motor company's don't need this right now.

Just my penny's worth.

Well, i owned Explorer for 3 years. During that time i got like 4-6 letters from them calling me to come to dealership to fix recalled parts and have record of 10 of them from previous owner.

So , its not true they do nothing

All car companies work on the same basic principle, when it comes to known faults and potential recalls.

They will balance the cost of the repair and likely quantity that it would cover against the negative financial impact of making a recall.

For instance lets say a car has a faulty part that cost $100 to replace and they know they have a maximum 1000 cars at risk (confirmed through batch traceability), so total cost if all were faulty would be $100,000. A recall could cost many times this through bad press, lost sales etc so they will put out a service letter to the 1000 car owners and do a quiet fix, with no poor publicity.

Even if the faulty part could cause injury / death they will still look at the cost model to see if they can avoid a recall and the subsequent bad publicity.

Well they failed there and then the antilock brake problem rose its ugly head as well. Oh well. One good thing it will make the outher car makers do better.

Now I read the goverment is after them as well. In trouble! 8.5 million in the recall ouch! the sinking sun.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

They have been trying to undermind the U.S. economically ever sence ww2. They failed then, and they failed again, and again. The yellow menice is sinking in the sun set.

I say take all the metric bolts off of american cars as well. You want our cars, you buy the tools to. Put the american tool companys back to work. And stop this ass kissing.

20 years ago a European car maker had a model with a throttle cable that got excessive wear and caused it to stick, instead of fixing it with a recal they got a court injunction stopping it from being reported.

All car makers make cock ups Toyotas just happens to be on a large scale.

Oh ya, Can't beleve that crap. They rather cover it up then be up front and fix it. The only reasion they are doing it now is becouse the news media got ahold of it and broadcast it all over the planet exposeing them.

Like a little car from our past that exploded into a fire ball of death if hitt from behind @ 30mph. It was found that $7.00 part would fix it. They wouldent fix it. They figured that they would just pay the law sutes instead.

Wow - you are many years out of date, Japans bubble burst a long time ago.

The economy of Japan is the second largest in the world,[2] after the United States at $5.07 trillion in terms of nominal GDP[2] and third after the United States and China when adjusted for purchasing power parity.[3] The workers of Japan rank 18th in the world in GDP per hour worked as of 2006.[4] The Big Mac Index shows that the wages in Tokyo are the highest among principal cities in the world.

For three decades, Japan experienced rapid economic growth, which was referred to as the Japanese post-war economic miracle. With average growth rates of 10% in the 1960s, 5% in the 1970s, and 4% in the 1980s Japan was able to establish itself as the world's second largest economy.[5] However, in the second half of the 1980’s sliding stock and real estate prices caused the Japanese economy to overheat in what was later to be known as the Japanese asset price bubble. The ‘’bubble economy’’ came to an abrupt end as the Tokyo Stock Exchange crashed in 1989. Growth in Japan throughout the 1990s was slower than growth in other major industrial nations, and the same as in France and Germany. From 4.5% per annum in the 1980s, real GDP rose just 1.5% p.a. in the 1990s and 0.8% p.a. in the 2000s. The problems of the 1990’s may have been exacerbated by domestic policies intended to wring speculative excesses from the stock and real estate markets. Government efforts to revive economic growth throughout the 1990’s was not very successful and when the global economy slowed in 2000-2001 the Japanese economy was in a serious economic situation. The economy began to recover under the policies of Junichiro Koizumi and revived strong growth in global trade, rising an average of 2.1% a year in 2003-07. Subsequently, the global financial crisis and a collapse in domestic demand saw the economy shrink 1.2% in 2008 and 5.0% in 2009.

Ya, after the U.S and allies rebuilt their country after ww2 and gave them all new factorys. They put the U.S steel production dam near out of bissness. Bethlaham steel for one. They were caught in the late 70s and were fined millions. Forfitting alot of property due to insider tradeing and unethical trade practices. They even owned Rockafellar center at one point and alot of property in america. Maybe they would have done better if they were not disshonest.

But, water under the bridge.

Oh NO! More woes for toyota

Toyota Motor Corp. said Wednesday it's looking into complaints of power steering problems with its popular compact car and is considering a recall as one option. That would be another blow to the world's largest automaker grappling with a spate of safety lapses ranging from sticking gas pedals to braking problems.

President Akio Toyoda also said he's not going to Washington to appear at congressional hearings next week, preferring to leave that to his U.S.-based executives while he focuses on beefing up quality controls ? though he would consider attending if invited.

"We are sending the best people to the hearing, and I hope to back up the efforts from headquarters," Toyoda told journalists at his third news conference in two weeks.

Eager to show that his company is taking consumer concerns seriously, Toyoda promised a backup safety system in all future models worldwide that will override the accelerator if the gas and brake pedals are pressed at the same time. Acceleration problems are behind the bulk of the 8.5 million vehicles recalled by the automaker since November.

But Toyota's woes could spread.

The executive in charge of quality control, Shinichi Sasaki, said the company is examining fewer than 100 complaints about power steering in the Corolla, one of its best-selling models.

Sasaki said drivers may feel as though they were losing control over the steering, but it was unclear why. He mentioned problems with the braking system or tires as possible underlying causes of the steering problem. U.S. officials are also investigating the complaints.

He stressed that the company's internal investigation was still preliminary and no decision had been made, but that the company was prepared to supply fixes ? including a recall as one possibility ? if it find defects.

The company is putting customers first in a renewed effort to salvage its reputation and will do whatever is necessary, Sasaki said. Toyota sold nearly 1.3 million Corolla cars worldwide last year.

The step suggests the company is responding more quickly than earlier, said Ryoichi Saito, auto analyst at Mizuho Investors Securities Co. Ltd.

"The company's announcement of the probe before a recall is a big positive step for Toyota," Saito said. "It really shows the company has already learned a lesson from the recall debacle by announcing every probe very quickly."

Analysts had mixed views about Toyoda's reluctance to show up at Congress ? some critical but others saying it was OK.

Toyota's top North American chief, Yoshi Inaba, will likely face a grilling next week from U.S. lawmakers over safety lapses. Inaba has little involvement in design and engineering issues handled by its headquarters in Japan.

"They want to talk to the really top guy at Toyota," said Koji Endo, managing director at Advanced Research Japan. "I also think Akio-san should be a little bit more proactive and should go to D.C. with Inaba-san."

Unlike Western chief executives, Japanese presidents are not always expected to be an authoritative figure and plays more of a team leader role in a culture that values harmony and consensus. That role is even more pronounced for Toyoda, the grandson of the company's founder.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and NHTSA Administrator David Strickland also are expected to testify at a Feb. 24 hearing by the U.S. House Oversight and Government Reform Committee on Toyota's gas pedal problems and one by the House Energy and Commerce Committee the next day. The Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee plans a March 2 hearing.

Toyoda does plan a U.S. visit, mainly to speak with American workers and dealers, but he said details of his trip are not yet finalized.

Toyoda also acknowledged his company had grown too quickly globally, and the measures in place in Japan to check on defect reports hadn't been enough to deal with "the scale" of America.

But he stressed again that he and his company have nothing to hide.

"We are not covering up anything, and we are not running away from anything," Toyoda said.

The automaker said it was also dealing with questions about whether the gas pedal flaw was electronic and reiterated its investigation has not found any electronic problems.

But it has commissioned an independent research organization to test its electronic throttle system, and will release the findings as they become available.

Scrutiny of Toyota is growing. The U.S. Transportation Department has demanded Toyota hand over documents related to its massive recalls. The department wants to know how long the automaker knew of safety defects before taking action.

Reports of deaths in the U.S. connected to sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles have surged in recent weeks, with the alleged death toll reaching 34 since 2000, according to new consumer data gathered by the U.S. government.

Toyota told NHTSA in January that the problem appeared in Europe beginning in December 2008. Toyota has said it began fixes on that in August 2009, but the company failed to link that with gas pedal problems in the U.S., which surfaced in October 2009.

Toyota took full-page ads in major Japanese newspapers Wednesday to apologize for the recalls in Japan, which affect the flagship Prius hybrid and two other hybrid models.

"We apologize from the bottom of our hearts for the great inconvenience and worries that we have caused you all," the black-and-white ads say.

I don't know, I don't think they will shut down totally. They will do the recalls and move on. They sell to many of the dam little things to fold up. Mean wile I saw on the news that all the american car sales are up due to this. Thats good!. I don't mind forgen cars, but they need to be limmited so they don't screw up our econmony And as you gessed it , I don't like JAPS! or their little cars. But thats just me. They will suffer the bad reputation for awile. We will have to wait and see.

[3.8] Vulgarity, Racism, Prejudice: Swearing are not permitted, it only degrades the forum and dilutes the debate. Posts of a sexual nature or of inappropriate images are included in this rule. No form of racism nor any other type of prejudice will be tolerated in the Legion of Sparta.

Of course the rules apply to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

More woes, Congress is looking in to possible covered up data from crash testing data that revealed the runnaway throttle problem and subsquint brakeing failure. Of wicth was COVERED UP! Probley be congressional hearings and or fines/charges/leveys/trade sangstions implamented. Sun has set! SORRY! I won't owen one.