Spartans Home

What i like to eat

IDAN

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kavlarakos I have a Question about cooking a lamb roast.

I have a bonless half Leg of Lamb about 3.3 lbs (1.5kg?) and have it marinating in about a cup of Bell'agio brand Chianti, crashed garlic,Basil,Black ground pepper,

a dash of worchestershire, crushed corriander and marjoram.

What Marinade would you use and what method would be best to Cook, Grill with hardwood or oven roast.

Please and Thank you!!!!

I have used this recipe lots of times it's from a J Oliver book

I buy shoulder not leg it's half the price, season to taste with salt n pepper

In a large roasting tray brown both sides of the lamb (a splash of oil needed)

Throw in some streaky bacon 3 onions (sliced) and 3 cloves garlic fry off for about 3 mins

Throw in 2 handfuls of herbs (Thyme rosemary and bay) your choice of root veg (potatos carrots celeriac parsnips) one bottle of red wine (Mr oliver uses white) and equal ammount of water

Bring to boil cover with tinfoil and transfer to oven at 170C cook for about 5 hours

Place whole tray on table and help yourself, its a favorite with the ladies

Kavlarakos I have a Question about cooking a lamb roast.

I have a bonless half Leg of Lamb about 3.3 lbs (1.5kg?) and have it marinating in about a cup of Bell'agio brand Chianti, crashed garlic,Basil,Black ground pepper,

a dash of worchestershire, crushed corriander and marjoram.

What Marinade would you use and what method would be best to Cook, Grill with hardwood or oven roast.

Please and Thank you!!!!

Hi Halli,

I hope that my answer is not too late as it is independence day and you you are probably going to roast it today.

The marinade looks good, but I would swap the basil with thyme or rosemary. Both fit very well to the taste of lamb.

A boneless leg of lamb usually need 2 hours+ to be soft and delicate. So it needs to roast at medium heat for a long time, otherwise it will be crispy from outside and hard bitten inside.

For me the best way to roast a lmab would be on a rotating spit at medium heat for at least 3 hours. And in greece for instance we do not marinade it from start. We just salt it and while rotating on the spit we drizzle it with a marinade from lemon-juice, olive-oil, rosemary and garlic. Less is sometimes more...:)

But your marinade looks really good. Just keep in mind to place it early enough on the grill. Maybe if there is too much heat at the beginning you could also wrap it in aluminium foil for half an hour. Don´t forget to add small amounts of coal after a certain time.

When done in the oven you should add some vegitables in your baking sheet like onions, carrots, garlic and celery and add some red wine aswell. Put it in the oven for 3 hours. Afterwards take it out cut it into thin slices and make a sauce out of the fond and serve it together with your slices...Both ways are very tasty.

I wish you a great independence day and let me know how it worked out for you.

Cheers

Thanks Bud I cooked it yesterday and cooked for about 2.7 hrs +/- 15mins to 145' f

I added mint and thyme under the string while cooking over hardwood. It was very good but I feel I can do Better.

I will try the rottiserie method next go round.

• 4 months later...

For LuggageTOOL

Onion Bhaji (makes 12 tablespoon sized)

75g or 3/4 cup Gram Flour (keeps for ages)

150ml or 2/3 cup Yoghurt

15ml or 1 tbsp Lemon juice

5ml or 1 tsp Garam masala

5ml or 1 tsp Cumin (ground)

2.5ml or 1/2 tsp Chilli (powder)

2.5ml or 1/2 tsp Tumeric (ground)

Salt to taste

30ml or 2 tbsp Coriander (chopped fresh or half ammount ground)

15ml or 1 tbsp Lemon juice

1 small green chilli (chopped)

4 onions (sliced)

Oil for deep frying

Place Gram flour in a bowl then mix in the Yoghurt to make a smooth runny batter. Mix in the ground spices and Salt, cover and leave in a warm place for 4-5 hours.

Mix the coriander, lemon juice, chilli and onion into the batter.

Heat oil in saucepan, wok fryer whatever (temp about chip frying level to hot and they go almost black you want them a nice golden colour).

Use a spoon of whatever size you want ( I like large Bhajis so I use a large serving spoon) and slip spoonfuls of the batter into the oil to form a round shape.

I use a small saucepan and fry 2 Bhaji at a time taking a few minutes to cook through.

A really nice and easy Beef Bourguignon I cooked the other day. Every mouthful is a delight.

Ingredients:

3 tsp goose fat

600g beef shin, cut into large chunks (Skirt is good too). You want a cut of beef with fat IN the meat grain as this gives that melt in the mouth texture rather than a chewy one.

100g smoked streaky bacon, sliced

350g shallots or pearl onions, peeled

250g chestnut mushrooms (about 20)

2 garlic clove, sliced

1 bouquet garni

1 tbsp tomato purée

750ml bottle red wine, Burgundy is good

1: Heat a large casserole pan and add 1 tbsp goose fat. Season the beef and fry until golden brown, about 3-5 mins, then turn over and fry the other side until the meat is browned all over, adding more fat if necessary. Do this in 2-3 batches, transferring the meat to a colander set over a bowl when browned.

2: In the same pan, fry the bacon, shallots or pearl onions, mushrooms, garlic and bouquet garni until lightly browned. Mix in the tomato purée and cook for a few mins, stirring into the mixture. This enriches the bourguignon and makes a great base for the stew. Then return the beef and any drained juices to the pan and stir through.

3: Pour over the wine and about 100ml water so the meat bobs up from the liquid, but isn't completely covered. Bring to the boil and use a spoon to scrape the caramelised cooking juices from the bottom of the pan - this will give the stew more flavour.

4: Heat oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas 2. then cook for 3 hrs. If the sauce looks watery, remove the beef and veg with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Cook the sauce over a high heat for a few mins until the sauce has thickened a little, then return the beef and vegetables to the pan.

Just in case...

To make a bouquet garni, use a piece of string to tie together a couple of rosemary, thyme and parsley sprigs and a handful of bay leaves. Remove from the pan at the end of cooking and discard.

I server with plain boiled new potatoes rolled in butter and mixed herbs and some Salt & Pepper bread but the choice is yours, Tiger Bread, Celeriac Mash, Rice it's all good.

Thanksgiving turkey with Popcorn Recipe

This is so timely with Thanksgiving upon us

EASY TURKEY RECIPE

Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing. When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

BAKED STUFFED TURKEY

6-7 lb. Turkey

1 cup melted butter

1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good.)

1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT)

Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt, and pepper.

Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven.

Listen for the popping sounds.

When the turkey's butt blows the oven door open and the bird flies across the room, it's done.hysterical.gif

• 9 months later...

Scones, for Luggage

From Nigella Lawsons 'How to be a domestic goddess'

Oven 220C

Sift 500g plain flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp Bicarb of soda, 4 1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Rub in (by hand) 50g butter and 25g Trex until like damp sand

Poor in 300ml milk and mix briefly

Turn out onto a floured surface and lightly need, roll to 3cm thick

Cut out about 12 scones and cook on baking tray for 10 mins

Get fatter

Shepards Pie (AKA Hamburger Pie)

What you will need...

9.5x13.5x2 inch baking dish. (240x345x50 for you euro guys)

2 pounds ground beef

2 cans of Creme of mushroom soup (condensed)

6-8 servings of mashed potatos

Shreaded Cheese

2 cans of your 2 favorite vegetables

Preheat oven to 350F

How to make it...

Brown ground beef and drain (I recommend 90/10 ground beef or 93/7)

Combine ground beef, soup and Veggies in pan and mix well. Spread evenly on the bottom of the pan.

Apply mashed potatos in a even layer on top of the ground beef. Top with cheese.

place in the oven for 30min or until cheese starts to brown a bit.

remove and serve hot...Enjoy

I think it's just a brand name for lard.

Noooooooooo, it's a vegetable fat makes the scones a bit lighter than when using all butter

http://www.trex.co.uk/

I like tinned carrots and peas in my Shepperd pie yummy

Must be an American 'Shepards Pie'

Because in the UK it's different.

Not allowing for the abomination of tinned veg, Steel's recipe would equate to a cottage pie rather than shepards. The names derive from the meat choice. Lamb for a shepards pie, beef for cottage pie.

Thanksgiving turkey with Popcorn Recipe

When the turkey's butt blows the oven door open and the bird flies across the room, it's done.

careful you dont fry the electrics doin it like this guy Halli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yil2jWQ5Oqg