Spartans Home

What i like to eat

IDAN

Kav suggested opening a thread about greek food so i thought way not create one where members could write us about what they like to eat.

I'll start with israeli authentic food that i like the most:

Hummus with Broad beans,egg and pita on the side

IPB Image

Pita bread which i normally buy

IPB Image

THE RECIPE

Cup of Broad beans cooked(need to be soft i use tin can)

Cup cooked chickpeas(need to be very soft cooked for at least 3 hours i use ready Tin can)

1 / 2 cup prepared spicy tahini

Chopped fresh parsley

Fresh lemon juice

Olive oil

Cumin

Garlic

Salt

Paprika

Black pepper

Put the broad beans in magimix -without fluid(very short pulses ,you can add some of the beans water for Liquid texture).and put it aside.

Put the chickpeas in Magimix - without fluid

(Leaving aside a few berries for decoration)

Very short pulses so it wont be a completely mush.

I love ... feel partially crushing the berries.

Add seasoning:Pour over the spicy tahini, Cumin, garlic, a little olive oil, Paprika, pepper and salt, a little lemon

Taste and improve flavors. You can add a little water.

Pass to deep plate, pour the broad beans

Generously over olive oil, fresh parsley and paprika.

You can add hard-boiled egg quarters.

Enjoy.

Edited by IDAN~SPARTA~

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the meal Jews eat before easter, we joined in a local synagogue last year, awesome.... I like the old Jewish traditions.... We had a reverend who knew much about them and used that knowledge to bring more tradition in our church. Us Dutch have little tradition left, and especially eating together brings people together IMO. I will try to find a good Dutch dish easy to cook for you guys (and no I'm not gonna give my secret recipy for pancakes...lol)

Right then.....

250gm white fish - any will do

150 gm smoked fish - natural not chemical

1 medium leek

3 medium sized mushrooms - half egg sized

handful of broccoli

2 tablespoons sour cream

250ml milk - for pie. extra required for mash

3 large potatoes - fist sized

butter

salt

pepper

Grated cheese - optional, flavour to suit.

Peel & boil the potatoes, once soft mash with butter & a little milk.

Pour the milk into a pan & bring to steady simmer. Chop the fish into bite size chunks , add to the milk and poach for 5 minutes.

Slice the white section of the leek and cut the broccoli into small pieces. Peel and finely slice the mushrooms.

Once the milk begins to foam, add the leek, broccoli & mushrooms. Season with salt & pepper and add the sour cream.

Continue to simmer for around 8 - 10 minutes, stir occasionally to prevent sticking and check. The broccoli should be a vivid green and firm to touch without being solid - squeeze between finger & thumb, looking for a little spring back.

Spoon into a flat dish, lasagne type 2 - 3" deep, adding enough liquid to give moisture without swamping the filling. Then spoon over the mashed potato, flattening with a fork. Sprinkle the grated cheese and place in a pre-heated oven at 180c for 20 minutes.

This is my take on a traditional English fish pie. Contents can vary to suit, I occasionally add prawns to suit my kids. I find less liquid, to give a stiffer end product works out best and it goes well with a strong vegetable, such as Kale.

My cooking is amatuer, my desire is great and the results haven't been bad so far.

Idan's Hummus is on the cards for the weekend and I reckon my fiancee will be bowled over!

OK here is my absolute favourite starter. It ´s called Scampis "Don Alfredo". I will try to post the recipe just out of my mind...

Here we go.

For the prawns:

500 g Prawns or Scampis (the bigger the better)

100 g flour

2 lemons

20 g Worcestire sauce

salt

For the Sauce "Don Alfredo":

250 g butter

6 onions

10 cloves of garlic

50 g Sambal Olek (if not available use a normal Tomato ketchup + chili seeds + cayenne pepper)

10 g chopped parsley

20 g olive oil

How to do:

Startting with the sauce you have to cut the onions into very small (the finer the better) cubes. But cut them with a knive and do not use a rubble because using a rubble the juice of the onion will get out making the whole thing really bitter.

Then you need to put 2/3 of the butter into a pot on low flame (butter always have to be melted on low heat). The other 1/3 of the butter you put together with the garlic and the olive oil into a blender, blend it with the result you have a garlic butter. Add this garlic butter and the onion cubes into the pot with the other butter. Leave it on low flame for about 5 minutes to get the onions cooked.

Now add so much Sambal olek or as explained above the ketchup + + until you get a nice, gold-brown colour.

Thats it fo the sauce:

For the prawns.

Clean and peel the prawns (heads away, and if you got big ones also cut their tails off to get the intestines out), then marinade them with salt, lemon juice, worcestire sauce, meal them in the flour and then fry them on medium heat with not too much oil until ready.

How to serve:

Place 5-7 prawns on a plate, put 2 spoons of the sauce onto them and for the decoration just strew some of the chopped parsley on it.

This is a very easy and nice dish. Quite perfect as a starter. The sauce can be hold up to 10 days in the fridge without going off as its main content is butter.

This dish can also be modified to a premium pasta dish with lots of parmesan...

sambal olek (oelek) is for amateurs...lol I use Sambal Brandis or Sambal Pedis (indonesian grandmother)

I'll check out my recipy's when at home and translate some of them.

I'm a great fish eater, only my wife is not (kids love it when she''s out so we eat fish)

During the summer we use the bbq almost every weekend, and a good part of salmon, or trout is standard, as are Scampi's with garlic, muschrooms with blue cheese (danish blue, just remove the stem and put the cheese in the muchroom), and most of all some good salads.

My simple italian meal is as folows (quickie when needed)

1 kg of fresh spinage (or frozen but without cream)

250 ml of sour cream

300 g of macaroni (tagliatelle will do too)

500 g salmon (on the skin)

2-3 spoons of honey

10 leafs of basilicum (basil) (use more if needed it really has to enter the taste)

250 g mushrooms.

salt and peppa and some garlic / lemon juice for the enthusiast.

wash the spinage untill all sand is removed (cold)

cook the pasta and meanstwhile bake the salmon on the hide and peel it away when the salmon is almost done

chop the salmon with the kooking thingy to pieces and add the mushrooms.

add the spinage and heat it untill the spinage is bite ready (not too cooked but fine)

add the sour cream and honey and in the end add the basil mix it with the macaroni/tagliatelle and voila....

IPB Image

Shakshouka-great for any time of day,most common dish in israel.

IPB Image

User posted image

Ingredients:

Olive oil

1 onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, coarsely sliced

5 tomatoes, chopped

Salt

Brown sugar,if you want it to be sweet 1/2 spoon is enough.

pepper

4 eggs

Chopped parsley

*you can add Red pepper,spicy Chillies if you like it hot.

Stages of preparation:

1. Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onion and stir until it softens. Add the garlic and stir one minute. Increase the flame and add the tomatoes and salt. Cook on a medium flame while stirring until the tomatoes soften.

2. Season with sugar and pepper and cook 5 minutes.

3. Break the eggs on top, Season and cook gently on low flame covered approximately - 3 minutes - the desired degree of activity of the egg.

4.Scatter over the parsley.

5. Serve pan with fresh bread.

Edited by IDAN~SPARTA~

Idan, that Shakshouka looks good... but how do you eat it? As in... just eat it, as is, with a spoon or dip the bread in it or what?

- JHunter

Dip the bread in, i add tahini along the bread