Spartans Home

Great software for FREE about remote connection and tech support

Batwing~SPARTA~

Hi guys,

I want to share this with you because I am pretty sure it will be very useful to many. I just got it and test it. It's amazing and so simple a Caveman can do it ! ;)

Take a look at:

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

It's free for NON commercial use. Read all the info and I am pretty sure you'll love it.

I used a few of these software but this one shocked me for its semplicity and full load of features :)

enjoy :)

one of our bigger customers uses this, it seems pretty good. never knew it was free, i'll grab it thanks :)

my favourite one is the one made by Bomgar http://www.bomgar.com/ the user can shutdown or reboot and as soon as the windows loads back up then the support is reconnected automatically. so you can do whatever you want to a user's pc like installing updates or whatever and it reconnects you after a reboot :) probably expensive tho :D

@ Panic:

About the reboot and all the rest, this one does it too, if you enable the program starting with Windows ;)

I find this program really easy and friendly. I tested with my dad, who is not exactly a geek, he was up and running in 5 minutes and I was remotely fixing his PC :)

Plus, this one has Voip AND VIDEO, so you can see the other person, if they have a cam :) I didn t test that functionality yet, but i know is there :)

I have been very interested with these remote admin tools (we use a different one for this group). But the problem I have is that the 2 locations I use do not have fixed IPs, and in switzerland the connection drops regularly (I'm pretty sure that changes the ip).

Can this still work

I have been very interested with these remote admin tools (we use a different one for this group). But the problem I have is that the 2 locations I use do not have fixed IPs, and in switzerland the connection drops regularly (I'm pretty sure that changes the ip).

Can this still work

You can try using No-IP, we use it with customers without static IP's so we can remote in and support.

We use Logmein at work amongst other and this is also free and simple. They also make Hamachi.

So do we, I can look on the desktop of our Indian colleagues to explain ho I want them to do their job.

Funny part about that is that they all at least have 1 degree in Geo-Information, CAD, CAM of GIS processing and I am the "noob" there...lol So for me its all about explaining the wanted end results and let them decide how to archieve...

Its fun working with them....

I confirm, no-ip.com is a great solution for free. i use it, I just set it into the DDNS on my router and it keep alive the connectivity refreshing the IP every times it change. Great solution.

The other thing I just discovered about this remote software, you can connect to someone else straight from a browser, so far the hosting (receiving PC) has the software running.

You will be interacting with the other PC just throught the browser window... this is just amazing !

Edited by Batwing

Tried this out with a buddy this evening, very slick tool. Unfortunately my ISP went down for "scheduled maintenance" in the midst of our testing various features. So we did try the "Remote Support" and "Presentation" modes but didn't get around to trying the "File Transfer" or "VPN" modes.

In the brief time we had to mess around with it, I couldn't really find anything to complain about. The desktop image streams very fluently, even when video was set to "Optimize Quality" instead of "Optimize Speed". The webcam and VoIP both worked admirably.

A few of the features that I, personally, found "neat" and worth mentioning:

1.) During "Remote Support", the remote user can select whether to view the entire desktop or a particular window/application

2.) During "Presentation", the presenter can select which windows/applications in his desktop that the viewer can see. He can also draw directly on his desktop, much like using MS Paint.

3.) When broadcasting your webcam, the TeamViewer program will selectively "black out" that section on the distant end. (So you're not seeing yourself on the other person's screen)

4.) When you have remote control of the other desktop, you can disable any local user input. As well as display a black screen to them. So you can stop them from accidentally (or on purpose) interfering with you while you work. As well as not allow them to see what you're doing.

5.) You can set a "permanent" password as well as having a "dynamic" password. Meaning you can use your permanent password to connect back to your own PC from a remote location, but also have a temporary password you can give to someone else for remote support, presentation, etc... and then generate a new dynamic password as soon as that session is over.

6.) "Partner List". The program lets you maintain a list of contacts much in the same way as instant messengers do. This list will save their ID, an alias set by you, and a password. Most useful in a situation such as mine, where its often the same friends and/or relatives coming to you for help time after time.

7.) Record. The TeamViewer will record everything happening on the remote screen, much like FRAPs.

I'm sure there are many other useful features, but thats all thats coming to mind for now.

- JHunter

• 3 weeks later...

Teamviewer is the neatest damned thing. I connected two computers using the VPN connection and was able to browse all of the files on the remote computer by mapping to the hidden admin share C$. I then sent a print job to the remote computer, it installed the drivers on the local computer and sure as hell, I sent a print job across the Internet.

The VPN connection works great between the two connected computers, but it won't traverse any where past that. I was hoping it would but it doesn't. Devices and folders are about it. I can't traverse the remote network like a true VPN connection. That would have been nice.

If you want to connect on the fly to a friends computer who's not really computer literate, I think showmypc.com is a little more intuative. However, it does the same thing as teamviewer.