Spartans Home

Mining Questions

Skaz~SPARTA~

ok, I got myself a mining barge, a retriever, didn't have enough money for a covetor. So I trained up on my skills. Right now I'm in Amarr Space and I have a few questions:

What should I mine?

Should I use jetcan mining?

0.0, low sec or high sec?

What setups for retriever should i use?

any other tips for me?

cheerios

ok, I got myself a mining barge, a retriever, didn't have enough money for a covetor. So I trained up on my skills. Right now I'm in Amarr Space and I have a few questions:

What should I mine?

Should I use jetcan mining?

0.0, low sec or high sec?

What setups for retriever should i use?

any other tips for me?

cheerios

What to mine depends on your mining and refinning skills. Pick what is highest and mine that while training others to broaden your ability for variaty. Veldspar is by far the most common ore. See me online and i can send you a link to a mining chart.

Jetcan mining has a risk. It attracts @$$holes. However, if you can keep your cool, most @$$holes cant steal enough to hurt your mining output. They just want you to shoot at them or you to steal it back (never do this) so they can kill you. The best defense is to ignore them, deliver your ore to the station, then bugout to a new area.

**Best way: make a new account toon to haul for you. You will need to pay for two accounts then.

**Next best way: get a buddy to haul for you. You should offer them a % of the output as payment.

**Not as good way but u may have to do it way: Trip to station to take a dump each time you get loaded.

In 0.4 and under your life expentancy isnt as long as it took to read this sentance. Especailly as a newer player with no lowsec backup in a mining barge..... Stick to hi-sec unless you get in tight with a huge alliance/corp, even then you will loose ships. Be prepared to get your knees real dirty trying to join one lol. Send me 10mil Isk and ill put in a good word for you....lol

Strip miner II's with ore specific mining crystal II's. This will take a bit to train them up. Train for a hulk. It will really grind a roid and you can make some big isk but be ready for quite a few months of training to make one good plus all the related equipment youll need. See me online and I can send you my fit for a hulk. It kicks @$$.

Other tips. Sure...... Where do I start lol. Ask and we'll tell you our opinions.

Fly safe

Skaz buddy, in Amarr space! You have got to come out to Ziona, Bashakru, Sukirah area (it's Amarr space). Plenty of mining and some good missions too. Maj3stix and myself (Cy Law) are out there. Also, Cobol is lurking in the area waiting to do some missions with us. Can possibly help with some combat ship upgrades and such when the time comes.

i still dont have mining 5, training it right now. Got a couple of strip miners T1, should I just stick with veldspar for these few days while i train up to use the MSM T2?

i have refining 3, planned to 5 as well as refinery efficiency.

should i get a specific processing such as veldspar processing?

For a retriever - T1 strip miners, as many mining laser upgrades as you can fit, and anything you can stuff in the mids (passive hardeners). Get T2 strip miners and the 3 high sec ore crystal skills to 3 or 4.

To be honest, in high sec it doesnt matter what you mine because everything is about the same value. Lowsec is extremely dangerous, as well as 0.0 for a miner not in an alliance who is occupying that space, so i dont suggest going there unless you join an alliance.

As for jetcan mining, you can do it but the risk from gankers is a little high at the moment. Try large or giant secure cans (you will need anchoring 1 and a system below .7 security status).

Ditto to what everyone has said. There is so much to mining that you could have a hundred players tell you something completely different and they'd all still be right.

As far as skills, you will need a Hulk.

Mining Barges L5

Exhumers L3

Modulated Strip Miner II

Mining L5

Get the High security ore Processing skills (Veldspar, Scordite, Pyroxeres, Kernite, Plagioclase) to L4 in order to use the T2 mining crystals.

Once you have these you will either need to gang mine or have dedicated anchored Giant secure containers in space to drop ore into. Or, you can go with two accounts which adds a different dynamic to mining.

I have two accounts. One is my miner who flies a maxed out Hulk T2 everything. The other flies an Orca and gives bonuses (through skills and foreman modules) to the fleet. She also acts as the ore storage for the expedition. I can clear nearly an entire belt (about 80-85%) in one full Orca. With bonuses to speed and having skills high enough, this takes about an hour with one Hulk mining and of course less with multiple Hulks.

Using this method, a group of six players can completely strip an entire system in a few hours (depending on how many belts there are.)

This would be a player's goal for high sec. Until then, keep plugging away at those asteroids and keep up the faith. Always keep an eye out for the market and watch the ore prices they fluctuate frequently. Also watch the buy orders in the area. Sometimes people will post buy orders or sell orders for less or more than Amarr or Jita prices. You may find that with an Orca or freighter, you can turn a nice profit by just buying and selling to and from lazy people, but be prepared for spending time warping to traffic your goods. You would need good trade skills to make this worth your while. If interested, I know that Viiiper (NoScream) did quite a bit of this back in the day. He may be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

After all of that, you will need to figure out what to do with the ore you acquire. Sell it, trade it, build stuff with it etc.

I have found that building bombs and bomb launchers is quite profitable atm. Also building T1 frigates and cruisers is quite good during wars, not to mention ammo. All of this requires a fair amount of skills but once you get them you can make some money if you are diligent and keep a low profile.

Any more questions give us a shout.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

LOL master of anchor mining i guess that would be me. 30 days and they expire if you dont go back to them 5,oookm from the roids and 5,oookm from the other anchord cans good for the beginer miner.

LOL master of anchor mining i guess that would be me. 30 days and they expire if you dont go back to them 5,oookm from the roids and 5,oookm from the other anchord cans good for the beginer miner.

Yeah, and a microwarpdrive on your hauler should go without saying too.