Spartans Home

Operation Arrowhead website is up

Lightspeed~SPARTA~

http://www.arma2.com/arrowhead/arrowhead.html

the future of Arma 2 looks tasty

and doesnt require Arma2 - which is most puzzling. has this been built by BIS or an indy dev using BIS to get their stuff out there? if you cant beat em join em.

i just hope the ai will perform better in cqb in this version.

Edited by Lightspeed~SPARTA~

It looks promising, but the concept of an "expantion" being a stand alone... is quite weird.

However, from the graphic almost photo-realistic this is a sort of Arma 2.5 - probably same style of game and User Interface with a way improved engine.

That has to be the reason why is a stand alone, the engine is so improved it would not be able to run on the original one.

It looks promising, but the concept of an "expantion" being a stand alone... is quite weird.

However, from the graphic almost photo-realistic this is a sort of Arma 2.5 - probably same style of game and User Interface with a way improved engine.

That has to be the reason why is a stand alone, the engine is so improved it would not be able to run on the original one.

This is the most optimistic view so far, and I like it. Maybe, just maybe, the BIS team has recognized some broad scope of irreconcilable flaws and felt it was best to base the next release on a new engine instead of the clunky, and ambitious A2 engine...No?

Whatever it is, unless there is some gross failure to launch of OpArrowhead, I consider the next release part of my collection already (damn the reviews!)

What would be great, to keep things working between A2 and A2 1/2, is an MP setup screen that can identify and launch either .exe for games. Even better is one that automatically launches the associated addons that we download!

They did the same thing with Queens Gambit. Except a different campaign and a small amount of new content.

Anything more than that and I would be surprised.

Didn't QG require ArmA?

yes it did.

i just hope that the ai have been reworked so that we can get some real cqb action or at least be able to place ai up in buildings and lookouts to create new angles to cover inside villages. knowing that you will never face ai above ground level significantly reduces the danger faced.

yes it did.

i just hope that the ai have been reworked so that we can get some real cqb action or at least be able to place ai up in buildings and lookouts to create new angles to cover inside villages. knowing that you will never face ai above ground level significantly reduces the danger faced.

Yeah I would hope since they're focusing more on urban combat now that they'll have better CQB.

Been following the post on their forums for a few months now, and another point of stand alone is if you have both installed, you get the marine's units etc from Arma2 in AH as well, for those who like to play with the editor :P Not too sure if it works the other way around though... <_<

But you can, I've tried a handful of missions with AI on rooftops, in buildings, all sorts of annoying places.

But you can, I've tried a handful of missions with AI on rooftops, in buildings, all sorts of annoying places.

The thing I missed in A2 is the fact that most of the buildings are not open, so that you can´t deploy Ai into them. In Arma there were more open buildings with different floors. Also the design of the cities and towns on Sahrani were different. In A2 there is not one single bridge for example.

What I have read is that BIS will put more unlocked buildings into OA which hopefully makes Urban combat more enjoyable.

The thing I missed in A2 is the fact that most of the buildings are not open, so that you can´t deploy Ai into them. In Arma there were more open buildings with different floors. Also the design of the cities and towns on Sahrani were different. In A2 there is not one single bridge for example.

What I have read is that BIS will put more unlocked buildings into OA which hopefully makes Urban combat more enjoyable.

The reason they didn't put bridges in Arma2 was due to the AI's terrible pathfinding abilities in A1. They would always get stuck in the water. Notice they also put dams where waterfalls should be, or didn't even put rivers at all because of the resources they took. That's what I read in their forums, anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like they have spent a good bit more time upping the graphics as well.

It also blatantly states they have completely redone the sounds. This will be awesome with the desert maps which are what I prefer to fight in anyways.

Desert Domination, here we come!