Spartans Home

joystick?

Conkker

talking to those of you guys who use a joystick to fly, which one do you have, and can you recommend one to me, under $60 that i can buy online?

my saitek ST290 Pro recently crapped out on me, trigger and rudder twist no longer work. <_>

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I've had my Logitech 3D Extreme Pro for a number of years but it's finally kicked the bucket on me. Still though, pretty damn good for a $20 joystick. I'll either buy a replacement one or maybe I'll upgrade to something else if it's somewhat cheap.

I have 2 sets, but honestly I give the crown to the Logitech 3d extreme Pro.

You cannot beat it for 20 bucks. Many reviews reported issue with losing precision on the axes but I have a feeling was an issue with early devices, because mine never had that problem. And anyway, if you get a great joystick (and the 3d is pretty damn good) for 20 bucks, if it fails, u just buy another one... :)

Then I have a Saitek X45 set. Very nice and simulative but bulky. For that reason I don t use it anymore because is a pain to install it on medium size desk. You need room, you have to install it permanently on your desk to really enjoy it. Maybe I ll be back on that when I will upgrade my desk. It is an old model, now the most recent is the X52, but I don t see a reason to really upgrade to the newr version. X45 does everything the X52 does, with some LED and light less.

Being long time I don t us it, I am not sure about the programming software compatibility. I hope it will work on Win7.

So my point is:

If you are not looking for a total simulative experience, throttle and joy separate with tons of bottons and commands, go straight Logitech, brand new. If you want more, you can find a used X45 at very good prices, just be sure is working :) Buying a used joy is a thricky experience, but if u get a good device, the X45 is very good, but you need ROOM on your desk :)

The X52 is good as well, but I think the retail price is a bit above 100 bucks.

I have the Saitek X45 too, and I much rather use the Logitech 3D for damn near every game other than Microsoft FSX and LockOn. X45 is good for full-on sims, but the Logitech is better for more arcade-style flying (Battlefield/ArmA). Also, the X45's rudder is setup in a really stupid way (essentially two buttons on the underside of the throttle), whereas the X52 has a twist-rudder on the stick like the Logitech stick does. Twist-rudders are much better IMO if you can't afford pedals.

I think I may end up going with the Logitech Freedom, which is basically a wireless Logitech Extreme 3D Pro with a slightly larger base.