Spartans Home

Announcement for the Battle of Utes

Kavlarakos~SPARTA~

@skele,

There is only 1 arty and 1 airstrike for each team leader.

@lighty,

This is a full island assault, we thought about a stealth night mission but the enemy snipers at the woods behind the beach would have decimated the group on the beach. The island has a pretty good defence, approaching by air or anywhere other than where we did approach results in death at sea. Because its an island fortress we decided that the best thing would be to focus the attack on one beach in the day and scrap stealth. The bombardment actually clears the hills behind the beach since we had placed defences there, plus it adds a bit of drama.

The northern base took multiple hits from a nearby D30 battery.

Some of the bugs had been fixed but we fixed the version on the UK server (making the fixes locally), when the server crashed (right around the time the mission was to start) we didnt have a backup and scrambled to get a corrected version uploaded to the US server but had to go with what we had.

The UK server is still down.

would be awesome if you could create the option of 3 different landing zones and would create a lot more replayability

Sounds like a good idea. Why not. You mean to make 3 different versions of the map.

We also considered to make a version using the RH M4/M16 mod. In addition I would like to see how this map would perform at night.

Sounds like a good idea. Why not. You mean to make 3 different versions of the map.

We also considered to make a version using the RH M4/M16 mod. In addition I would like to see how this map would perform at night.

I don't think you'd need to be that drastic, would it? Rather, start the team offshore in the RHIBs, and once onshore create some sort of airdrop, called by the Plat.L. (or automatic based on a primary team leader's entrance to a given trigger radius.)

Auto-trigger may be best, you can pick the right terrain for more equipment to appear in the right spacing....Maybe have the drop be something like a supply truck, or a shipping container, which the player 'unpacks' like the FARPs from several dom versions ago.

@ Ebden

Calling in am airdrop seems to me impossible as the whole island is full with AA. It does not seem to me a really good idea calling in a C130 or a Osprey when even our airstrike jets can´t come through.

Another RHIB driven by AI coming in to the NE shore after liberating Kameny seem more likely to work. After it hits the shore a trigger will be activated and a big Ammo box will be dropped there. What about that?

@ Ebden

Calling in am airdrop seems to me impossible as the whole island is full with AA. It does not seem to me a really good idea calling in a C130 or a Osprey when even our airstrike jets can´t come through.

Another RHIB driven by AI coming in to the NE shore after liberating Kameny seem more likely to work. After it hits the shore a trigger will be activated and a big Ammo box will be dropped there. What about that?

Right, AA, problematic sure.

What about adjusting the story insofar that a crate had already been covertly delivered to some such place, but the players still have the freedom to approach the island from their desired direction and sneak or fight their way to extra supplies as needed.

Then again, Zeno's point is good as well, this is Ch. 1. Time for Ch2?

Great mission last night, there were a few bugs around but this may have been due to it not being the latest version we played so no point in mentioning them here.

One suggestion I would make is using the 'Task Complete' script I used on my Utes mission as it is VERY easy to miss the tiny completed message in the top right corner.

I think the one arty strike per TL is spot on as it makes it a VERY precious commodity.

All in all a very enjoyable start to the whole campaign, well done to you both.

good point its only mission 1.

my thoughts on the replayability were not to create 3 different versions of the map but to mark say 3 different bays on the map where an insertion is possible bcoz of reduced troop numbers - north, east and west - obviously by starting the map in a different zone will create a different experience because of the dynamic nature of Arma AI and maybe a few diff triggers here and there could tweak the events without being too complex.

too prevent the crew breaking off into multiple landing zones make it clear that the first team to arrive at an LZ will get all the HQ and ammo boxes - the equipment and HQs will not spawn at the other zones leaving the crew at another LZ with no resupplies nor hummers etc.

just a thought

We assumed players would try different inserts (Even if one boat goes to the designated LZ) and placed defences (ZU23s) around the island, any other approach by sea or air would be lucky to succeed. The bombardment isnt for show, noone would survive the beach, there are multiple squads and snipers, we wanted a hot insert but toned it down a bit. Approaching from another area would be tough and require rescripting of the bombardment and reinforcements, so we should fix the little issues and make some enhancements to chapter 1 and focus our energies on the subsequent chapters.

BTW the UK server is down (this had the only fixed copy of the game on it). The provider has been a pain and we are reviewing whether to continue with them. So we will fix another copy and use it on the US Tactical server.

These are just my opinions.

no i agree if its a complete rework of the script forget it.

minor adjustments here and then on to chapter 2.

Which is in work and to 80% finished. And I think it will be far better then the battle for Utes. At least I hope so. We will see.

But we will also fix a few things on the first chapter just to improve it.

Does Chapter 2 also take place on Utes? And are these designed as concurrent "story lines", if you will? Just curious.

- JHunter

Indeed they are concurrent. We planned to make something like a MP campaign with an ongoing story. And to chapter 2 I can only tell so far that it won´t take place on Utes and that it will be a night mission.