Spartans Home

Star Trek Online - Screenshots

MedicSN6

Just a few of the ship I took. I wanted to show the HUD but the game automatically removes it.

Going in to warp after a mission.

User posted image

View of ship name and serial.

User posted image

Ship in 'Sector,' which is the game's form of warping. Interesting concept and what's better, it works.

User posted image

well, levels 1-10 is rather bland but it picks up after that. Though the game is a bit more casual than some like.

DId you only make it to the Miranda Medic?

I haven't been able to play as much as I would like to. I am only a level 5 Lt. atm. Friday is the Early Go-Live for Pre-Orders so we'll see if they reboot and we have to start from scratch or they let us keep what we have don so far. I am not sure either way, if anyone knows, feel free to chime in.

The only thing I really hate about the game is in 3rd person mode on a station or away team mission, if you walk your character into something, he kind of gets stuck and does this weird slow-mo thing for a moment then it goes back to normal or you can jump out of it. It's pretty lame. Other than that, it is very enjoyable and even more so with a few friends in the mix.

EDIT: The one thing that I find interesting and completely different from the shows is the ability to fire upon the enemy first. This never happened in the shows especially TNG. There is no room for negotiating nor the opportunity. You'd think you would be able to warp in to some type of dispute and hail both parties and figure out what's up and give them some sort of option. But no, you just roll up, stick your UZI out the window, and start spraying photon torpedoes at who the game identifies as enemy. It goes against the shows too much.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

in EVE if you have the skills and r in 0.0 u just lock on and fire

Which is a good thing most of the time. Considering that 0.0 space is 'owned' and often contested, there is no good reason that you should be there other that to protect it/operate within your own space or to try and take it from the current resident. You are your own police and it is your job to keep your area safe.

In Star Trek, it is a different dynamic. The Federation (UN/NATO) through exploration, tries to enlist as many planets/systems as possible under one flag. So they operate as a peaceful entity and are normally only defensive peacekeepers.

EVE is based around business and production. The combat is merely a means of protecting or procuring assets such as natural resources. The need for combat is generated by the players, not the developer.

STO is exploration and police work based. The combat is a result of predetermined conflict built by the developer (and Star Trek lore), not the players.

From a development standpoint, STO and EVE differ on many points.

STO is based on existing lore and the developers must stay true to this lore for their program to succeed. If the hardcore ST fans find fault within the game they may choose to drop it. EVE however, does not have this problem. EVE isn't based on anything in particular just made up cyber-pink style future sci-fi. Their story line is driven by the players and fan-fiction so they can pretty much make up whatever they want and aren't restricted by pre-conceived images.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

Which is a good thing most of the time. Considering that 0.0 space is 'owned' and often contested, there is no good reason that you should be there other that to protect it/operate within your own space or to try and take it from the current resident. You are your own police and it is your job to keep your area safe.

In Star Trek, it is a different dynamic. The Federation (UN/NATO) through exploration, tries to enlist as many planets/systems as possible under one flag. So they operate as a peaceful entity and are normally only defensive peacekeepers.

EVE is based around business and production. The combat is merely a means of protecting or procuring assets such as natural resources. The need for combat is generated by the players, not the developer.

STO is exploration and police work based. The combat is a result of predetermined conflict built by the developer (and Star Trek lore), not the players.

From a development standpoint, STO and EVE differ on many points.

STO is based on existing lore and the developers must stay true to this lore for their program to succeed. If the hardcore ST fans find fault within the game they may choose to drop it. EVE however, does not have this problem. EVE isn't based on anything in particular just made up cyber-pink style future sci-fi. Their story line is driven by the players and fan-fiction so they can pretty much make up whatever they want and aren't restricted by pre-conceived images.

They are going to wipe characters tonight after the servers go down. I agree that it is rather un-trek to go in guns blazing, but from a game standpoint, it probably wouldnt be much fun resolving petty bickering. THe premise of the game is that there is a war on, hence the shooting.

Just wait until you get past the Lt level ships, soo much better

They are going to wipe characters tonight after the servers go down. I agree that it is rather un-trek to go in guns blazing, but from a game standpoint, it probably wouldnt be much fun resolving petty bickering. THe premise of the game is that there is a war on, hence the shooting.

Just wait until you get past the Lt level ships, soo much better

I really dont have a problem now in my Light Cruiser now that I have upgraded my Phasers, Torpedoes, and Shields to all Mk II equipment and now that I have some bridge officers under me that have decent ship skills. Not to mention the points I have spent leveling up.

I can set my power levels to boost weapons and don't really worry about my shields now. It's nice.

I really dont have a problem now in my Light Cruiser now that I have upgraded my Phasers, Torpedoes, and Shields to all Mk II equipment and now that I have some bridge officers under me that have decent ship skills. Not to mention the points I have spent leveling up.

I can set my power levels to boost weapons and don't really worry about my shields now. It's nice.

well my point is then you can actually start playing as your class and blowing lots of stuff up. it really is night and day.