Spartans Home

Tac Dom Version M

Zeno~SPARTA~

Its Friday so I will be playing tac dom.

Some changes today.

No backpack being the principal change. Because of this limitation we will use the HMMVs to carry extra kits and ammo. All but the base Hmmvs do not respawn when unused. (The convoy vehicles at base also do not respawn when not in use).

Major apologies to my squad, as I had to leave very abruptly during a tense situation when business pulled me away.

For the vehicle insertions, it would've been really cool (meaning, not required) if all squads could've convoyed together, then broken off when their waypoints were reached.

Backpacks, I didn't notice too much, considering I never use them, and Alpha was more than equiped to handle themselves. I like it because it gets people working together and gets us to carry each other's ammo, exchanging when needed.

You are truly the font of all military knowledge.

I pulled small convoy operations for a stinking year in Iraq, and I became an expert real quick. We started working in pairs, then were forced to run with 3 vehicles each. No armor, crappy humvees, and not even chest plates until 9mo in. Some things I learned...

1. No matter how much you hate him, never put your squad idiot on point, because he'll always slow down to see where attackers are, holding up the guys in the kill zone.

2. Always speed up when in the kill zone, if not in it yet, don't be a dumbass and try to drive through.

3. Even the 101st Airborne has stupid Privates who like to point their 50cals in your direction while driving down bumpy roads.

4. Never put the squad idiot in the passenger seat. He'll always try to aim through you when attacked from the left. Make him drive, just not on point :)

Not the best for me today honestly, I was deaf and blind in game. I had some technical difficulty with no markers showing up (wierd) and half my team was "Error: No Unit" (see paragraph below). Lots of cross comms mixed with not being used to VopSounds made it hard to distinguish where enemy gunshots were coming from. So that didn't help one bit when the initial insertion was in deep forest cover and we were raped. I think the plan was good, it just seems to take too long to move each chess piece with all the chatter while waiting for orders.

Oh yeah, removing backpacks for tactical makes sense, everyone had a role to play and had to focus their kits. I liked that. Not everyone was a SMAW/M107/machinegunner. Opfor might be harder pressed without the optional backpack item, but no biggie.

Oh Zeno, I found out in the code that in x_msg/x_playernamehud.sqf is buggy and have decided to completely remove it. Apparently if you set the server into Veteran mode, it turns on the Player Name Hud by default for everyone. I think this thing might be the bane of our No Unit issue. So on line 42 or so I'm inserting this: if (true) exitwith {}; Maybe 'M' has one last last update? lol

No backpack a challenge when ai came up the hill to the Charlie Squad sniper spot and I only had a M107. It made me think and thats a good thing, it will be interesting trying it in a proper squad cos Charlie was just Idan Adder n me.

Enjoyed it, thanks all.

My apologies to Alpha for bailing out without warning so soon after my attachment to your unit. My computer got infected again with the same damn virus as before, so I had to go take care of that before it got out of hand.

However, before my attachment to Alpha, I felt that Zeno (no offense, but going for constructive criticism) rushed attack chopper availability too early into the AO. Cobra went down manuevering around the AO to get into a firing position, got waxed by AA. Apache managed to actually fire a Hellfire at a T-72 out on the NE side of the AO, but something was off with the targeting. I could target hostiles just fine, but I wasn't getting the circle around the square to show I had a weapon lock (probably needed a gunner). Tried to get a visual on the radiotower area, but it was too far below me to get a visual. Got nailed by an AA peeking out of cover behind Alpha's position, lost engine, bailed out.

I would suggest in the future don't even think about spooling the gunships up 'till the AO has been cleared of the majority. The Tunguska and IGLA pods are the biggest threat followed by the Shilka and Ural ZU-23 (bullets easier to survive than missiles). Have the attack choppers come in towards the end and help clear out any resistance and mop up stragglers. Personally I prefer the AH-6s anyway, since one doesn't need a gunner; no complications with the tageting since all weapons are pilots-controlled and unguided.

Believe it or not as long as you have the target locked you can be like 90 degrees off and still hit the target, it is still best to make sure the chopper is pointed in the direction of the target thou.

Tonight seemed to be 1 of those nights. The team i was in suffered several setbacks and then the ts server went bonkers and we had to wait for a backup.

But we still managed to get the job done.

i disagree about the attack choppers. they should be used to soften up the ao , but you gotta stand off with them not flying straight into ao. and btw the square is a lock, you should get some practice in before tac night if your gonna fly them...

all the mc,s did a good job. had some cross comms early in alpha no biggy since things eventually calmed down.

had a couple people kept running rambo a bit when i first took alpha lead and thats not acceptable, but things went good after awhile and we did good attacks and teamwork, so gj alpha....

ps.....love the no backpack

and btw the square is a lock, you should get some practice in before tac night if your gonna fly them...

I find that very insulting to my status as a pilot. A square means you have only targeted a hostile, a circle around the square means your currently selected weapon is locked on and will hit (I've spent hours in the Armory, I know when I've got a lock and when I don't). Also, as far as 'stand-off' goes, it was not my choice to go where I was, I was under orders to proceed to a designated point, wait there, then attack from the West. If I had tried to gain distance from the AO, I would not have been able to gain a vantage point on the radiotower area, which was my order.

Don't assume I don't know what I'm doing, because it's not my fault my orders placed me at risk. I also agree with Durka that the attack choppers need gunners to function properly.

I find that very insulting to my status as a pilot. A square means you have only targeted a hostile, a circle around the square means your currently selected weapon is locked on and will hit (I've spent hours in the Armory, I know when I've got a lock and when I don't). Also, as far as 'stand-off' goes, it was not my choice to go where I was, I was under orders to proceed to a designated point, wait there, then attack from the West. If I had tried to gain distance from the AO, I would not have been able to gain a vantage point on the radiotower area, which was my order.

Don't assume I don't know what I'm doing, because it's not my fault my orders placed me at risk. I also agree with Durka that the attack choppers need gunners to function properly.

You won't receive the circle with no gunner.

Also, why bail out of a chopper? Learn to autorotate, or go down with it. You aren't flying the KA-52. I personally don't think there should even be an eject option on choppers (sans KA-52)

P.S. - If you fly NAP-of-the-Earth, your chances of survival increase greatly, even within the borders of the AO.

I really enjoyed tacdom tonight. But unfortunately I was only able to play the first AO under Phishers command in Bravo team, who made a very good job.

He always tried to reduce the threat to a minimum by looking for spots with good cover and setup a good location with the armed hummer quite close to our main objective so that we circled around finding some good spots, then back to the hummer rearm back again finding another good spot taking out some armour, rearm again and then finally blow up the radio tower, which was my job.

I enjoyed also the missing of the backpacks, which made the whole gameplay more realistic and of course tactical. I just think that the whole thing is about finding good spots with good cover. By doing so a whole squad can act together with less casualties and average effectiveness.

It is usually the same, independent with what weapons you fight with, knowing the terrain and make use of it is in my opinion the key for a success.

To the chopper issue i also totally agree with Durka, that in this case to persons are needed in the chopper, one concentrating on flying and the other on targeting especially when it is a hot AO. On the other hand when you are just the pilot you have to keep long distance, hide behind a mountain and reveal yourself just for a few moments to get 1 or to shots with the hellfire and then hide again.

Anyway i enjoyed it yesterday although it was only for 2 hours...

Tholozor

If the choppers cannot soften up the AO when they are at their toughest then they are of little use to me. You were shot down the first time when I ordered you to got wide around the south of the AO to the mountain behind Olsha and try to popup from there. I specifically said to go via the vehicle service point to give you a wide birth. You shouldnt have been hit from the AO at all.

I had troops on the ground reporting armour between them and the radio tower. After all I have heard about providing close air support I thought I would give it a shot. Close air support means covering the objectives the ground troops have been given. I have seen you operate with EMT as gunner, I know you are a good pilot thats why I chose you, plus and this is very important, THOLOZOR DOES NOT GO OFF MISSION, this cannot be said for everyone that plays tac dom.

I am not discouraged, so I will try again.

Human opfor really make it more difficult, but I think the AA is definitely better when left to their own devices.

The LGB harrier and Laser spotter team did well

maybe next time we could try before sending attack chopper to use a laser team to locate aa and use the fixwing .

fixwing Less exposed to aa while doing high speed fast attack .

after we reduce some aa we make sure the chopper approach is from that direction.

i will try it on us server and see how it works.

We will use the harrier again, but we will also use the cobra or apache, but will not try for a hard lock at the start of operations, if we go for a soft lock we may or may not hit the target but we should be able to preserve the aircraft. I am speaking of when I am commander, others may do differently.

No backpack a challenge when ai came up the hill to the Charlie Squad sniper spot and I only had a M107. It made me think and thats a good thing, it will be interesting trying it in a proper squad cos Charlie was just Idan Adder n me.

Enjoyed it, thanks all.

Hnmm tough call - ,following Durka's logic and without me there, which one was the idiot?

:D

About TacDom today - brilliant brilliant.

The 'no backpack' should be standard in all servers - it is realistic and makes ppl consider their role as they should not be a jack of all trades.

Also, I think the fact that the AI can roam so far out of red zone is brilliant - not sure if you tweaked their range but effectively it means you are not safe to assume there is noone 1 mile out of the AO

Just curious - are we interested in pulling backpack from the public server too? Or is this Tac only? It seems to have positive feedback.

I don't think so it would make it too hard for a public server

Hey All -

Enjoyed playing in TacDom yesterday - was my 2nd or 3rd time playing Arma in a couple of months so my SA was really poor - not sure how much of a contributor I was, but enjoyed the time. Crippled by a loss of DSL service in my area at the start of my second AO with Lightspeeds squad. Sorry about disappearing like that.

Really enjoyed the loss of the backpack and all of the modifications that have been made to the Sparta Dom mission since I've been away.

I enjoyed playing a bit of TacDom last night. Thank you Bsilenced, for good squad leadership & support. Alpha squaddies were great to play with.

I like the removal of the packs!

Comms got a bit loose for a bit, but came back into shape with a bit of coaching in Alpha squad. And.. I have finally set up my TS key binds; more of us should... B)

Edited by NCO