Spartans Home

Win7 crashes, BSOD, startup failure...the works?

Ebden~SPARTA~

I've had it. Last night working on Op. Icarus w/T-1 and Xcross, I froze, crashed, flashed to desktop, and BSOD-twice.

Starting up today, it didn't! Second time, too. Win7 runs a startup diagnostic to fix what it can...it can't. Ran the Microsoft memory test, it says 'hardware issues, contact compu manuf'. It didn't say memory issues.

I've provided an Event viewer log and a post at techsupportforum.com. I so hope I don't have to start swapping hardware, this computer is only 6-months old and I've already been through two RMAs (Memory and vidcard).

What else can I do to try and sort out if it's software/hardware? Should I:

Run memtest again?

How long?

how to test HD?

Virus/bug? (already up-to-date w/AVGfree)

GPU issue?

OS?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm

Sounds the same as when my 8800 Superclocked bit the big one. For a few months/weeks I had the same style crashing, sometimes with BSOD, sometimes without. After restart everything seemed fine for awhile. Eventually, the BSOD was a permanent one.

My best guess at the moment is a bad memory slot.

From a TSP tech post, I've run a couple datarecording progs from TSF, chkdsk at boot, and now a full cycle of memtest86+ (v4.0) on each of my RAM sticks (both tested independently, both tested while installed in slot A0, both passed.)

When I first ran memtest, I forgot to isolate the memory. Within 20s I had errors. When seperated and tested independently, no errors. When tested FLIPPED between the slots (original slot A0 in A2, vice versa), voluminous errors as at first.

When tested not in pair, in slots A0 and A1 (unpaired slots), then no errors right away. I let that last test run for only a couple minutes. It makes me think, since I didn't see the errors, that the slot A2 is hosed. Is that possible? Also, what sort of performance dig will I take now that I have a matched pair of ram running in unmatched slots?

Mine did the same dam thing.

WOW this is funny becouse my wifes machine all the sudden started blue screening, crashing. I did a repair and still crashing. POPed out the second slot ram stick and it all the sudden stoped blue screening. I was lucky enough to have more ram laying around, put that in and its ok now. And that is a MSI board.

Now the Damest thing is, I upgraged my BIOS in my machine and then all the sudden random crashes to blue screen/freezing in game as well. I was getting the IRQ not equal to or less Blue screen crash error and memory controller error. After talking to ASUS support dept. I poped out the second slot ram and all the sudden it stoped blue screening. They said that upgradeing the bios could have damaged the operating sys, and to reinstall it. As i was reinstalling windows it went to blue screen again. I again removed the second slot ram and presto its ok now. So i asked him why upgradeing the bios would kill the second slot ram, He had no explaniton as it had been fine all along. So I have 2 sticks on the way back to OCZ, But somethings real fishy here.

I got them to send me new bios chips, preloaded. I think this might be a virus that goes right down to the bios dissrupting the memory controlers for duel channel ram. But It could be that the ram is all the sudden dieing? but all of the sudden all at the same time? Sometings real weard here. So wacth out guys we could be sending alot of ram back for rma.

Becouse most of all computer componets are designed to last for 50,000 mean hours of run time, if they are indeed quality made componets. I don't think we hitt the 50,000 hour limmit yet.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Try reseating some of your cards. I know it sounds dumb but it works if your video card is just a hair loose, etc. Also, here is the compatibility list for Windows 7. Make sure you don't have some hardware that isn't on the HCL because that could cause problems. Although I think Win7 will warn you about troublesome HW when you install it.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx

What does your device manager look like? Have any yellow question marks?

Edited by Rooster

Try reseating some of your cards. I know it sounds dumb but it works if your video card is just a hair loose, etc. Also, here is the compatibility list for Windows 7. Make sure you don't have some hardware that isn't on the HCL because that could cause problems. Although I think Win7 will warn you about troublesome HW when you install it.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx

What does your device manager look like? Have any yellow question marks?

As far as win7 compatability, my mobo boasts WHQL for W7, but it doesn't specify 32 or 64 bit. The link you gave me doesn't show the mobo as compatible for either 32 or 64, but another mobo from the model family is compatible w/64 (ep45-ud3P)

My Palit 9800GT isn't listed either, but Palit's 9600's are listed.

Is the compatibility search comprehensive or a summary?

My best guess at the moment is a bad memory slot.

From a TSP tech post, I've run a couple datarecording progs from TSF, chkdsk at boot, and now a full cycle of memtest86+ (v4.0) on each of my RAM sticks (both tested independently, both tested while installed in slot A0, both passed.)

When I first ran memtest, I forgot to isolate the memory. Within 20s I had errors. When seperated and tested independently, no errors. When tested FLIPPED between the slots (original slot A0 in A2, vice versa), voluminous errors as at first.

When tested not in pair, in slots A0 and A1 (unpaired slots), then no errors right away. I let that last test run for only a couple minutes. It makes me think, since I didn't see the errors, that the slot A2 is hosed. Is that possible? Also, what sort of performance dig will I take now that I have a matched pair of ram running in unmatched slots?

Hi,

I need some more info about your system to think about the issue.

What MB is? WHat Processor? What RAM (ddr2 or 3 and speed), did you ever flushed the BIOS on that MB to the most updated one?

About your question about running 2 RAM sticks on "unmatched channels" that should not activate the "Dual Channel" ability to speed up performances. When you start your system, on the few seconds you have the BIOS black screen, when you use "matched channels" you should read your memory amount followed by "in dual channel". If you use not matched channels you should not read "in dual channel" part.

From the test u ran, it sounds like you had memory error from a a specific slot on your MB. Go back on that and test more. Check one stick at the time using the possible failing slot and see if you get errors from both sticks.

BE SURE FROM YOUR MB MANUAL THAT SLOT IS ALLOWED FOR SINGLE USAGE. Each MB has a specific mapping of memory slots and you have to be sure you are testing correctly. If the MB manual doen t show that slot as a slot hosting a mem stick alone, you cannot test it in that way.

Refer to your MB manual to see the way you can host memory sticks and don t try different configurations.

Also, from single check of your RAM sticks, it loooks like they work fine. You get errors when you pair with the A2 slot... It let thinking the RAM sticks are OK while the slot is failing. This become solid possibility because on "unpaired" slots you have no errors.

If you check again and the A2 config produce errors, your MB needs to go 99% ..

As far as win7 compatability, my mobo boasts WHQL for W7, but it doesn't specify 32 or 64 bit. The link you gave me doesn't show the mobo as compatible for either 32 or 64, but another mobo from the model family is compatible w/64 (ep45-ud3P)

My Palit 9800GT isn't listed either, but Palit's 9600's are listed.

Is the compatibility search comprehensive or a summary?

I have the same board in my other rig (gigabyte ep45) and it is compatible. Basically I was wondering about any sound card or maybe a video capture device. Your graphics card is fine too. Like Bat is pointing to, it's most likely a ram problem.

I have also seen this problem when there is too much stress on the motherboard. More specifically on the CPU socket. If you have installed any special cooler then you might loosen it up a bit and see if that helps. Finally, if reseating your cards doesn't help then try running with one stick of ram at a time. It won't be fun but at least you can determine if your ram is causing the problem.

Memory tested

GSkill 1066 2x2048mb

Batwing, as you describe, I tested both sticks briefly in slots 1 & 3. errors jumped up immediately. I removed the stick from slot 3 and tested slot 1 alone, then stick from 3 in slot 1 alone. Both passed full cycle memtest.

I left the second stick in slot 1, installed the original slot 1 stick in slot 2. Although not dual channel, just to check against memtest. I had no errors within the first few minutes of the test, and I didn't let the test finish.

I reversed the installation of the memory, what had originally been in slot 1 went into slot 3, original slot 3 to slot 1. Memtest showed errors immediately again (see image).

post-516-1263234664_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty confident the memory is fine, but I'd hate to RMA the mobo....if I can run a stable system w/o dual-channel?

I have not been unlucky enough to run into memory chip problems, and I am sure that they are a bugger to diagnose.

Could you eliminate heat from the equation Ebden?

I'm pretty sure that the heat is fine. The cooling fan has a cowl to direct air on the memory itself.

I haven't installed any temp monitoring software with w7, but the meter with the video card never creeps past 52-53.

The two machines that the ram died in, one is running XP and the outher one Vista 32 bit.

the vista machine had 3, 1 gig sticks in it and the xp had 2, 1 gig sticks in it. useing the 2 groups of slots. The ram that died was allways in the second group of slots. I upgraded the bios with asus ez update in setup. It erases and then rewrits it, checking the new version first, before it loads it. She can help me with my machine anytime, she needs alot of work.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Lolol !!! ok ok, Don t Panic !!

Reading those tech threads it sounds like a good news. If for any reason IS NOT hardware with Slot 3, that is a good news, because it means is a sort of software conflict somewhere.

If what the techh guy thinks about some driver or other crap conflict, your solution is pretty simple:

MEGA FORMAT AND FRESH INSTALL.

After fresh install, be sure you have all drivers up to date, do NOT install anything else and make your mmemory tests again.

If your slot 3 fails again, that means those error codes are just crap (as usually happens to be) and the slot is so screwed that is not even able to report errors correctly.

-- Solution #1 RMA

-- Solution #2: Keep it and run RAM on not dual channel... honestly i don t see whhy. If is in warranty, your money still has soome value annd you can have a MB working 100%, otherwise you stick with a failing MB, which also may mean something else can fail anytime, and then you 'll hhave to BUY a new one.

-- Solution #3: IT WORKS FINE, which means was a software issue, some hidden driver, some incompatibility somewhere.. slowly reinstalll everything but stay away from unnecessary crap, try to keep your system light and clean using only minimal protection software and ALOT of Common Sense to avoid dangerous sites and chance of Viruses :)

I know how painful an RMA is, because on this MB I m working right now, I m going toward the SECOND RMA!! and just thinking to unplug all the crap and plug it back makes me sick... but it is what it is... I spent 250 buckks on this piece of crap and it HAS to work ;)

Good luck, I will probably swap my MB myself right today.. I feel your pain ! :)

Lolol !!! ok ok, Don t Panic !!

Reading those tech threads it sounds like a good news. If for any reason IS NOT hardware with Slot 3, that is a good news, because it means is a sort of software conflict somewhere.

If what the techh guy thinks about some driver or other crap conflict, your solution is pretty simple:

MEGA FORMAT AND FRESH INSTALL.

After fresh install, be sure you have all drivers up to date, do NOT install anything else and make your mmemory tests again.

If your slot 3 fails again, that means those error codes are just crap (as usually happens to be) and the slot is so screwed that is not even able to report errors correctly.

-- Solution #1 RMA

-- Solution #2: Keep it and run RAM on not dual channel... honestly i don t see whhy. If is in warranty, your money still has soome value annd you can have a MB working 100%, otherwise you stick with a failing MB, which also may mean something else can fail anytime, and then you 'll hhave to BUY a new one.

-- Solution #3: IT WORKS FINE, which means was a software issue, some hidden driver, some incompatibility somewhere.. slowly reinstalll everything but stay away from unnecessary crap, try to keep your system light and clean using only minimal protection software and ALOT of Common Sense to avoid dangerous sites and chance of Viruses :)

I know how painful an RMA is, because on this MB I m working right now, I m going toward the SECOND RMA!! and just thinking to unplug all the crap and plug it back makes me sick... but it is what it is... I spent 250 buckks on this piece of crap and it HAS to work ;)

Good luck, I will probably swap my MB myself right today.. I feel your pain ! :)

Instead of the reformat-reinstall-test option, isn't there a program (or a tool I could rent from a compu svc. ctr) that will test the memory slots themselves? The guessing toward RAM or DRIVER or MOBO has come back to square one, since I didn't have any errors with memtest as I did at the start. My memory is running dual-channel in slots 1 and 3, just as it was before, and without error.

Then again, I haven't run ARMAII yet...

well, not of my knowledge about any software specific to test single slots.

troubleshooting in these cases is very time expensive and is common resolution if you can reproduce an error focusing on a specific slot, that slot is the culprit.

Here i see that for "some reason" the error is no more focused on slot 3. What did u do? any software modification? installed / unistalled something?

Is there a reason why you were having errors on slot 3 while testing and now you dont?

If there is no apparent reason, problem can still be on the MB controller, failing for some unknown reason. RAM sounds OK anyway.

Then, if you find yourself on a condition where it looks like everything is fine and is working (dual channel ok, sterady and no memory errors) use the common rule: "if it ain t broken, don t touch it!" but observe behaviours and see if anything else goes wrong.

Of course test with ARMA and see if you can duplicate the original issue. If it doesn t.. well wait and look..

MB controllers may have weird behaviours, so keep in mind that is not "fixed by itself" but is just "working" which means you might have a major failure right 5 minutes after your warranty expires and then you ll have to buy a new one.

it s difficult to decide what to do at the moment, but if you don t get errors anymore, go ahead till next time it will happen.

I just completed my Mb swapping and after 1 hour and a half, i have to say it went pretty smooth.. finally the network is working again.

Honestly i would suggest you to RMA you MBB if you can. it is way better having a new one, at least you know for a while it will be safe... lol.. the famous last words ! :)

I just completed my Mb swapping and after 1 hour and a half, i have to say it went pretty smooth.. finally the network is working again.

Honestly i would suggest you to RMA you MBB if you can. it is way better having a new one, at least you know for a while it will be safe... lol.. the famous last words ! :)

Gigabyte just wrote. They told me to set my RAM voltage.

Lame.

Well Batwing, after reformatting and reinstalling vista, still loading up stuff, tryed the same ram in again, and blue screen, so back to OCZ it goes. Not new to RMA. but all the sudden died, and at the same time on 2 machines. I think they incode a failure time in the chipps.