Spartans Home

Vancouver 2010 Chat

There's been some shock and controversy lately due to Lindsay Vonn's Sports Illustrated cover. Just about every time an Olympic athlete has made the cover before the Games, they have either had a major injury or did really really bad. Well, I just found out today that Lidnsay Vonn, probably the world's best female Downhill skier, has had a pretty bad injury to her arm and this will surely affect her bid at the gold. I feel like I'm watching a curse in action.

There's been some shock and controversy lately due to Lindsay Vonn's Sports Illustrated cover. Just about every time an Olympic athlete has made the cover before the Games, they have either had a major injury or did really really bad. Well, I just found out today that Lidnsay Vonn, probably the world's best female Downhill skier, has had a pretty bad injury to her arm and this will surely affect her bid at the gold. I feel like I'm watching a curse in action.

It's like the madden curse.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/45342-t...curse-a-history

IPB Image

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

OPENING CEREMONY IS FRIDAY NIGHT! WOOHOO!

Here's a funny story I heard about early this morning on a radio station.

"The Legend of Lucky Loonie"

Apparently, a coin was frozen in the ice during the 2002 games and gave luck to the Canada team. The US Women's team was trying to chip it out of the ice, but it didn't work, much to Canada's shagrin.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the great game today between the States and Canada. Probably one of the better hockey games you will see for a long time.

Hats off to the American team, who played great the entire tournament. Considering that this team was realistically built to gain experience going into the 2014 games, a silver medal is a huge accomplishment.

I'd just like to say that I'm proud of Vancouver for putting on a great Olympics that represented us Canadians well.

Durka, great thread

I really enjoyed the games, even though they were on very late, I did stay up to watch some of it and caught the highlights at other times

I specifically enjoyed the curling [ I knew I would] aerial sking - never seen that before [OMG they gonna crash] all the stuff in that mincer of a course for toboggans and skeletons [and UK got a medal - hip hip] the ice dancing - only because of the rivalry of thast Canadian coach - what a story....and of course the ice hockey - only ever been to one match myself

Great Games - well done Canada - London 2012 - must start training for the sitting on a sofa and watching event, probable medal position

Edited by andrewman~SPARTA~

I've been engrossed by the Winter Olympics, and really enjoyed this year's Games, although there were many dissapointments for the guys/gals I was rooting for. I used to run track (long jump), but I always wished I could compete in the Winter Olympics because of the sports and asthetics. I've become a big fan of the Skeleton, not only because a Latvian as supposed to win Gold, but the sportsmanship that was visible on that track was second to none in exhibiting the Olympic Ideals.

I'm really sad to see it go, but now I've got a few more sports to look forward to watching next year, and I can get back to work :lol:

I've been engrossed by the Winter Olympics, and really enjoyed this year's Games, although there were many dissapointments for the guys/gals I was rooting for. I used to run track (long jump), but I always wished I could compete in the Winter Olympics because of the sports and asthetics. I've become a big fan of the Skeleton, not only because a Latvian as supposed to win Gold, but the sportsmanship that was visible on that track was second to none in exhibiting the Olympic Ideals.

I'm really sad to see it go, but now I've got a few more sports to look forward to watching next year, and I can get back to work :lol:

I loved when the Canadian who won gold in the men's skeleton was walking around Whistler and someone handed him a pitcher of beer. He just started drinking it as he's walking along with his helmet in hand.

Just showed how much these medals really mean to these athletes.

I loved when the Canadian who won gold in the men's skeleton was walking around Whistler and someone handed him a pitcher of beer. He just started drinking it as he's walking along with his helmet in hand.

Just showed how much these medals really mean to these athletes.

Jon Montgomery. He's actually a used-car auctioneer in his other life. As dissapointed as I was, it's hard to hate a guy like that. He actually apologized to Martins Dukurs after the ceremony for his excessive celebration, saying he got too caught up in the moment. That Gold would have meant to much to Latvia, as they were hanging a lot of hopes on Dukurs, but he'll be alright and isn' going anywhere at 25. You can't be too dissapointed in a 2nd place and 4th place finish in the Olympics. (4th was his brother, Tomass Dukurs)

Latvia also got Silver in the Doubles luge, but I don't even think it was televised in the US. Their backstory was really cool too. Juris and Andres Sics (Pronounced literally "Shits"), they would break into the luge track in Sigulda, Latvia when they were kids, until they got caught by a worker, who told them if they're crazy enough to risk their life going down that track in a tobaggin, they might as well get some coaching, lol.