Spartans Home

Holy moly Steam sale

Ebden~SPARTA~

Everything seems to be on sale at Steam right now. I just picked up Osmos and World of Goo for $10.

The sale started on Dec 23rd and runs through Jan 3rd. The daily deals (24-hours only) have been hit-or-miss, although I suppose it also depends on your tastes and what you already have in your library. The multi-game packs are some of the best deals around, so long as you don't already have most of those games in your collection; the THQ pack is one of the best I've ever seen--too bad I already have most of those games!

The main games that I purchased for myself were Braid, King's Bounty: Armored Princess, and Prototype. As gifts for friends and family, I spent about $100, all for games that, at the time, were $5 dollars or less. These included games such as Audiosurf, World of Goo, Osmos, Quantz, Torchlight, Braid, and CS:S. In fact, I have purchased Audiosurf TEN times now, nine of those purchases being gifts for others.

Most of the "casual" games will remain on sale with prices ranging from $2 to $5 USD throughout Jan 3rd, and many games that aren't spotlighted are still on sale ($25 for Empire: Total War). As as long as you don't have an aversion to Steam (as I know some of our members do), now is the time to make those impulse purchases.

can you buy multiple copies and then gift them out? or do you have to gift them when you checkout at the store?

i'd like to take the opportunity of cheap prices but i dont know who to give them to at this time.

Edited by PANiC

I bought IL2 1946 through Steam a while back and had no problems. Was playing with some friends of mine within the hour in fact.

Honestly I don't understand all the hatred and such toward Steam people seem to have, I've been using it for years and never had a problem with it. Sure beats having to purchase and keep track of retail copies, and it's a lot more user friendly than some other download services.

I bought IL2 1946 through Steam a while back and had no problems. Was playing with some friends of mine within the hour in fact.

Honestly I don't understand all the hatred and such toward Steam people seem to have, I've been using it for years and never had a problem with it. Sure beats having to purchase and keep track of retail copies, and it's a lot more user friendly than some other download services.

Yep. Steam is pretty awesome in my opinion.

can you buy multiple copies and then gift them out? or do you have to gift them when you checkout at the store?

Yes, you can stock up on gift purchases, in a roundabout way. When you make a gift purchase via Steam, you have the option to send an email message that tells the recipient how to download/install Steam and redeem their gift. All you need to do is send the email to your own email account. Supposedly, gift purchases never expire (I've had a friend wait over a month to redeem one), and once you've decided on a recipient, simply resend the gift email to the recipient's address. You do this by clicking on the 'Games' menu link at the top of the Steam client, then select 'Manage Gifts & Guess Passes'.

If I get IL2 through Steam, what kind of crap do I have to deal with, patch-wise and all that? I've never bought through steam so I dunno. IL2's only $5 so I wanna get it, just don't want to entangle myself into a mess.

I've never had a problem with a game downloaded via Steam (but always check the OS/system requirements!), although I have had to patch some games manually, such as Arma 2. As long as you always have an Internet connection (technically not even required all the time, but highly recommended) and you don;t mind the fact that you won't ever be able to resell a game without reselling your entire Steam account (which violates the Terms of Service), I would recommend Steam as a reliable and worthwhile service.

I expect to see at least one response from one of our members telling you why they think I am full of shit. :)

Yes, you can stock up on gift purchases, in a roundabout way. When you make a gift purchase via Steam, you have the option to send an email message that tells the recipient how to download/install Steam and redeem their gift. All you need to do is send the email to your own email account. Supposedly, gift purchases never expire (I've had a friend wait over a month to redeem one), and once you've decided on a recipient, simply resend the gift email to the recipient's address. You do this by clicking on the 'Games' menu link at the top of the Steam client, then select 'Manage Gifts & Guess Passes'.

rgr, i did a test and sent one to myself, i cant actually activate it, which makes sense. it was in my gift list with my email address, but it let me change the email address, then it revoked the gift and left it in the gift list with no email address. which is what i wanted in the first place, so all is good :)

Just bought IL2, but now I have to open friggin Steam just to play the darned thing. I can see why people don't like it, when they could get the same game without fluff from other download sites. That being said, I'm enjoying flying around again!

Steam does have an offline mode that works well, but yeah, you do have to have Steam open. One benefit I found: when I built my new system four months back, all I had to do was set Steam to download and reinstall all of my Steam games while I slept, and most of those games I had the discs for. So no monotony of swapping out disc after disc and watching progress bars; I just woke up and all of my Steam games were ready to go!

Steam is a wonderful program. I've been using it since early 05. Gave me my start in online gaming with Counter Strike. been going from there. Only problems I've had with steam over the years is the occasional forgotten password. I'd recommend Steam to anyone who is looking for a game management program.

I've spent over $50 on the Star Wars Jedi Knight collection, Mass Effect, Hitman Bloodmoney, Star Wars Battlefront II, TES IV Oblivion, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl, as a start.

Edited by Asher

Just bought IL2, but now I have to open friggin Steam just to play the darned thing. I can see why people don't like it, when they could get the same game without fluff from other download sites. That being said, I'm enjoying flying around again!

Or you can have it start automatically in the background, and never notice it's there.

I've bought games from Steam, Direct2Drive, GoGamer, and even some French site I've never heard of before (bought ArmA2 there), and Steam is by far the easiest and most user-friendly service. But hey, to each his own.