Spartans Home

Best and Worst Films of 2009

MedicSN6

http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/entertain...op9of09full/11/

Worst:

9. "Love Happens"

Jennifer Aniston and Aaron Eckhardt slum it in this blandly-titled, unoriginal weeper romance.

8. "Terminator Salvation"

The fourth film in the franchise, "Salvation" disappoints by not delivering on its very cool premise of finally taking place in the post-apocalyptic future of John Connor's destiny. Bale is one-note and aside from that there's not much to care about outside of the action sequences.

7. "Observe and Report"

Seth Rogen leads a cast of creepy, socially irredeemable characters in this very dark film that only earns squirms rather than laughs.

6. "All About Steve"

Sandra Bullock tempers her comeback year with this "comedy" about a really annoying stalker in red boots. Why Sandy, why?

5. "Watchmen"

Alan Moore's "unfilmable" graphic novel masterpiece actually ended up being rather boring when turned into a movie. Zach Snyder's adaptation was wildly hit (the awesome opening credits) or miss (the laughable love scene) making for a massively uneven epic.

4. "Bride Wars"

Kate Hudson and Anne Hathaway get to act out an absolutely appalling array of bridal-induced catty antics conjured up by a writer that assumes when two life-long best friends get engaged they also collectively lose their minds.

3. "Knowing"

Nick Cage actually does a great job playing a grieving widower that discovers a numeric-prophecy involving his son. However, the film completely derails with the most ridiculous ending of the year.

2. "Confessions of a Shopaholic"

Usually actress Isla Fisher is cute as a button and really funny, but this movie is way too vapid, narcissistic and stupid for her to overcome. It's like everyone that developed this offensive movie forgot there's a recession going on and being broke isn't cute.

1. "Obsessed"

Seriously one of the most random, stupid thrillers to come down the movie pike in years. Ali Larter plays an obsessed temp that wants married boss Idris Elba all for herself. Why? Who knows! This movie never bothers to explain why the psycho has set her targets on "this" man but 20 minutes into it, no one cares anymore anyway.

Best

9. "Drag Me to Hell"

Director Sam Raimi gets back to the scary place he belongs and creates a full-out horror film that really delivers.

8. "Up in the Air"

As a corporate downsizer, George Clooney proves again why he's one of Hollywood's leading men.

7. "District 9"

It took a moderately funded sci-fi film by a first-time director to remind everyone that it IS the story that really makes all the difference when crafting a great film - genre or not.

6. "Sherlock Holmes"

Certainly not your father's version of the detective, Downey Jr. gives the sleuth some scrappy charm and a much-needed kick in the pants.

5. "Coraline"

Neil Gaiman's story harkens back to the good old days of children's filmmaking (i.e "The Dark Crystal" or "Return to Oz") when seeing something scary was ok and perhaps even an important right of passage.

4. "Avatar"

James Cameron boggles the eyes with his 3-D epic extravaganza.

3. "Zombieland"

Maybe the most fun we had all year inside a darkened theater. Zombies, a perfect cameo, and the pitch perfect cast made this a surprising must-see.

2. "Star Trek"

J.J. Abrams and company did the impossible - they managed to resurrect the "Trek" franchise with a cheeky time tweaking storyline, a stellar cast and an infectious sense of fun. Talk about boldly going...

1. "Up"

Pixar continues making computer animated masterpieces that feel more emotionally grounded and real than just about anything else out there.

My best ones:

STAR TREK

DISTRICT 9

My worst:

The Hangover

All About Steve

Terminator Salvation ( a apart from special effects, the story was also screwed... He was surprised to see a "human" cyborg??? come on, he had 2 movies when he was a teenager to learn about human look-alike cyborgs !!!)

Edited by Batwing

My best ones:

STAR TREK

DISTRICT 9

My worst:

The Hangover

All About Steve

Terminator Salvation ( a apart from special effects, the story was also screwed... He was surprised to see a "human" cyborg??? come on, he had 2 movies when he was a teenager to learn about human look-alike cyborgs !!!)

agreed, Hangover sucked balls. I dont see what all the fuss was about? It was just Dude wheres my car with more characters.

Edited by Krambo

Its all about personal taste I thought Terminator Salvation was pants they took one of my fav franchise themes (I hate the word franchise, whatever) and cocked it up.

Star Trek on the other hand was outstanding castwise and acceptable storywise and is my years fav. I have a copy on Blu Ray thanks to my son and we noticed you can even see the zits on Chekovs face lol

lol, it's funny nobody's mentioned the Transformers sequel, or the GI Joe movie. :lol: They took my two absolute favorite toys when I was a kid, stuck them in a grinder for a bit, and out came a big ole poop sandwitch. The only thing that saved Transformers from being a total loss was the wonderful CGI, even though I still think the designs were crappy. GI JOE was just a joke before it even started filming. I wanna know how a regular soldier (Duke) can go to a fancy Washington dinner party with a go-tee, and how they can decide to go into the middle of combat with floppy hats on, lol.

In contrast, I thought Salvation was pretty good, and they nailed the Kyle guy in casting. A Christmas Carol was really good too. I thought Star Trek was pretty good, and I still want to go see UP.

[/geek]

BEST:

The Hurt Locker (US Marine bomb squad in Iqaq)

Public Enemies (Gangster movie)

Inglorious Bastards (Quentin tarantino movie excellent)

The Wrestler (solid movie about a washed out wrestler)

Telstar (movie about the Telstar record company)

Julie & Julia (chick flick)

Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson story (true story)

ZombieLand (solid)

Terminator Salvation (solid on BluRay)

Orphan (great thriller)

Fired Up (lite humour American football/cheerleader movie)

Transformers revenge of the fallen (good Christmas sequel)

Sherlock Holmes (solid)

Trick or treat (Horror)

Spread (modern love story)

Monsters v aliens (kids)

Easy Virtue (1920s-30s comedy family)

The Young Victoria (period drama)

The Invention of lying (The only guy that can lie)

WORST:

District 9 (south African based alien movie)

The day the earth stood still (poor remake)

2012 (Over done Hollywood end of the world movie)

Observe & report (Average junk)

Marley & Me (don't bother)

Stan Helsing (bad spoof)

Next day air (poor)

Valkyrie (poor remake style)

The Box (starts good ends crap)

Honourable mentions:

Planet 51

Jennifer body

Race to witch mountain

Milk

Beyond a reasonable doubt (slow starter (double twist))

Star trek

Seventeen again

The boat that rocked

Week One

Frequently Asked questions about time travel

Spread

Watchmen

In the electric mist

Thick as thieves

Whatever works

Have fun...... :lol: