Spartans Home

Springfield XDM or GLock

EMT~SPARTA~

I was looking around for pistols and came across the springfield XDM. Looks impressive.

But my friend keeps talking about how he is getting a glock... Just wanting to know what y'all think..

My personal feeling is to go for a Glock 21 SF (Short Frame). It is a .45 ACP. Make sure you get the one with the M1913 rails instead of the one with the Glock rail.

The XDM series is good too. But it is a fairly newer pistol and they are still designing upgrades for them and making new ones with better features. Of course they are doing the same with the Glocks too. The newest G21 SF has all of the latest Glock features after years of trial and error. The Springfield XDMs simply dont.

I have shot the new G21SF along side the Harrisonburg SWAT team and found it to be an awesome pistol. I was shooting down bowling pins at 20-25 yards. Very simple to operate, with or without gloves, and in primary or off-hand. The grip that I use mainly is the zero-void hand grip. You may want to research it. It will give more control of the frame if you have trouble with a .45.

There is a version of the pistol that comes with tritium style night-sights... get it or get the regular and upgrade the sights yourself. But make sure you get night-sights. They are a must for nighttime and even low-light situations.

An if you're pondering the whole .45 caliber vs. something smaller deal... Which gun would you rather be shot by? A 9mm or a .45? That's what the bad guy thinks too.

I actually got to handle and load a Glock 30 SF my uncle has last weekend. I've always loved Glocks, they're very smooth-action and easy to use. And yes, .45 is the way to go, only problem is loading the magazine. I was able to get 7/10 rounds in before I couldn't push it in further by hand.

The Springfield is made in Croatia from a Croatian design, re-tagged as a Springfield.

It's still a very good gun.

Of course the Glock is a Glock, with years of proven reliability and a larger support network.

If it's a toss up for you, and they both feel the same in your hand, and you can access the mag release on them the same, etc. go with the Glock. If one feels better and fits your hand better, go with that.

Free advice from the deputy chief of a police department the size of Atlanta's.

Remember that if it's a self-defense, CCW weapon, sometimes ammo means more than stopping power. I read a first-hand report of a guy who got into a "situation" with gang members using a .45 pistol himself. Doing a reactionary drill, he ended up using 3 rounds per badguy. 2 to the chest, 1 to the head.

I can't find the source, so I'm quoting from memory. But, The Guy and his wife were out walking, wife didn't know that he was carrying. Got jumped by a bunch of gang bangers (it wasn't a surprise, they weren't very stealthy about it) and he drew. Seeing them having a gun, he went into training mode. Reactionary shooting...2 to the chest, 1 to the head if it was still there. It was the way he trained all the time. But basically, he had his .45 with about a 10-Rnd mag loaded. By the time he chased off the badguys, he was down to 1 or 2 rounds loaded. By his reasoning, if he had had to reload, it might have ended up badly.

In a situation like that, where part of your drill is a killing-shot, caliber of ammo won't matter. A 9mm will kill just as well as a .45 when shot in the head. But having the extra rounds available from using a 9mm may be life-or-death.

And this is all pulled from a republican-majority-gun/survival/zombie-nut web forum. I'm just posting this here because I saw the thread in the "recent updates" box, and thought that I'd share my views. It's not all about stopping power and caliber. But, if you want a .45, get a .45. I can't stop you.

Oh, and I've shot my dad's XD9. It's the only pistol I remember shooting, so I can't do a good comparative analysis. But, the safety system (combined trigger/handgrip saftey. Either both used, or no firing) feels good. I think it would work better than the traditional mechanical (pin that blocks the trigger's movement) that I'm used to on my paintball markers. There was a noticeable number of FTE (Failure to eject), but I've been the only one to really put rounds through it, and even then I've only done between 50-60 at that.

Edited by AJsarge