Spartans Home

VISTA ---> tips and knowledge - XP to VISTA -XP

NoScream~SPARTA~

Vista Tricks tips and knowledge

If your running vista 32 or 64 and found any good points that are diffrent to xp and may help users on their move over, then post them here:

Read the full post here:

http://www.devsource.com/article2/0,1895,1999637,00.asp

Finding the User Settings in Vista

Was- Now

Application Data- AppData\Roaming

Cookies- \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies

Local Settings- \AppData\Local

My Documents- \Documents (C:\Users\user-name\Documents)

NetHood- \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts

PrintHood- \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts

Recent- \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent

SendTo- \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Start Menu- \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Templates- \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates

Where are fonts stored ?

C:\Windows\Fonts

• 9 months later...

VISTA PERMISSIONS

If you?ve ever tried to tinker with something in Vista and received a ?you need permission to perform this action? warning, you know how frustrating it can be. Vista?s new found ?security? locks down a lot of things even if your user account has administrative privileges. I ran into a problem like this when installing Adobe Acrobat Reader 8 where the installer didn?t have the permissions to run it?s own exe file, or something like that.

IPB Image

For this example, I?ll be giving my user account full read/write permissions for a random file. Again, this is just an example and I have no idea why you would ever need full read/write permissions for such a random file. The point is to show you how to overcome a ?you need permission to perform this action? situation if you ever find yourself in it.

1. Right-click the file and select Properties.

2. Click on the Security tab.

3. Click Advanced in the lower right.

4. In the Advanced Security Settings window that pops up, click on the Owner tab.

5. Click Edit.

6. Click Other users or groups.

7. Click Advanced in the lower left corner.

8. Click Find Now.

9. Scroll through the results and double-click on your current user account.

10. Click OK to all of the remaining windows except the first Properties window.

11. Select your user account from the list up top and click Edit.

12. Select your user account from the list up top again and then in the pane below, check Full control under Allow, or as much control as you need.

13. You?ll get a security warning, click Yes.

14. On some files that are essential to Windows, you?ll get a ?Unable to save permission changes? access is denied? warning and there?s nothing that you can do about it to the best of my knowledge.

15. Reconsider why you?re using Windows.

That?s generally how the process goes. You don?t want to be doing this too often though. Should you ever get a virus in Vista, the files thought to have been protected, which you gave your account full permissions for, could easily be destroyed - not good if that?s a critical system file. This probably also works in XP but I haven?t used XP in a while. Vista is just a lot more protective about things so you probably never had this type of situation in Vista, or at least I haven?t.

How to View Hidden and System Files and Folders in Vista

HIDDEN

Vista is not much different than in XP. Here are the step-by-step directions. Remember that system files are hidden for a reason. Don't go messin' around with stuff.

1. Click the round blue Start thing in the left corner

2. Click Control Panel

3. Click Folder Options

4. Click the View tab

5. Click Show hidden files and folders

6. If you want to see system files as well, unclick Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

7. Click OK

ONE LAST THING

Sometimes even with the view hidden files set in VISTA you still cannot find or see a file, then try this,

check that the 'COMPATIBILITY' TAB is not available, if it is, then VISTA has masked files that would not be

compatible in name with older files systems, click it once to reveal those files.

IPB Image

IPB Image

viii

• 3 weeks later...

Searching Files & File contents VISTA DOES NOT WORK ?

Yes it does like this Bitches...

http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/03/17/how...by-content-data

To get the search tool to work right.

1.Click on Start, Control Panel.

2.Click on Programs.

3.Under Programs and features, click on ?Turn Windows features on or off?.

4.Check the box next to ?Indexing Service? and click OK.

This will install the Indexing Service that ?shipped in versions prior to to Windows Vista?.

It will take around fifteen seconds, after this the search should work.

User posted image