Spartans Home

Tactical Domination 12/18/09

Rooster

Are we having one?

EDIT BY DURKA:

Tonight's Tactical Domination will be starting shortly. I need these roles (and ONLY these roles) to be filled out and volunteered for.

1. Command: (I'll take this for first town, but need someone to take it for second town)

2. 2 IC

3. Alpha Squad Leader

4. Alpha Team Leader (A's 2ic, basically, we want non-members in this role)

5. Bravo Squad Leader

6. Bravo Team Leader (Same as above)

7. Charlie Squad Leader

8. Charlie Team Leader (same as above)

7. Delta Squad Leader (spec ops 4-man team)

Initially, and depending how many we have at startup, I'll just need Alpha and Delta. Bravo/Charlie will be filled as needed. Please reply with only your name and desired role. No extra text is needed.

Sorry, that was Bravo that you killed. Alpha had to come in and rescue them.

And it was an experience being a squad leader for the first time. Thanks to Alpha for being awesome during that time. And sorry that I dropped out in the middle of an AO. I'm dead tired right now, and it gets just that bit more tedious.

I think we've got the setup down pat. Come into the AO, kick the crud out of the OpFor Commander's stuff, and steal all his camps. Now we just need to work on making it faster. The map should be ready at least an hour beforehand, and we need to get moving right away. From there, it's just a matter of refining the way the command structure works and how we go about doing things. Seems to me like it takes 15 times longer to take an AO during Tac nights than in regular domi.

But, the teamwork was amazing, coms were clear (mostly), and messing around was kept to a minimum.

I still say that we should change some of the engineer slots into pilots (keeping the repair/refuel capabilities!) just so that it looks better. And possibly rearranging the spawn setups so that we've got them all set. Alpha, Bravo, Charlie are standard UMSC, Delta is Spec Ops, Echo is Engineer, and the MC and 2IC are SF Commanders. I've got a spreadsheet with it all lain out.

No comments on the spotting and sniper support Delta had held down for the whole game? D:

I had 56+ confirmed headshots. Darn good game fellas. Can't wait till next Friday. Durka, Luggage, and T1 did a great job with MC, and 2IC.

Too bad Kalxen never shown me his pretty face. I had a .50 waiting for it. Have a good night everyone I can't keep my eyes open much longer.

-Ash

Edited by Asher

Sorry, that was Bravo that you killed. Alpha had to come in and rescue them.

And it was an experience being a squad leader for the first time. Thanks to Alpha for being awesome during that time. And sorry that I dropped out in the middle of an AO. I'm dead tired right now, and it gets just that bit more tedious.

Thanks for stepping up for Squad Leader

I think we've got the setup down pat. Come into the AO, kick the crud out of the OpFor Commander's stuff, and steal all his camps. Now we just need to work on making it faster. The map should be ready at least an hour beforehand, and we need to get moving right away. From there, it's just a matter of refining the way the command structure works and how we go about doing things. Seems to me like it takes 15 times longer to take an AO during Tac nights than in regular domi.

The whole point of TacDom is not to run through towns like we do in the PublicDom. It's supposed to be slow, because it gives people a chance to see what real squad movements are like. That said, we are always working on ways of making things faster, more refined. Hiccups happen, and we try our best to get things fixed as they come to us. Patience is a requirement for TacDom Fridays.

But, the teamwork was amazing, coms were clear (mostly), and messing around was kept to a minimum.

yep.

I still say that we should change some of the engineer slots into pilots (keeping the repair/refuel capabilities!) just so that it looks better. And possibly rearranging the spawn setups so that we've got them all set. Alpha, Bravo, Charlie are standard UMSC, Delta is Spec Ops, Echo is Engineer, and the MC and 2IC are SF Commanders. I've got a spreadsheet with it all lain out.

The guys who are editing the Dom map every week work their tails off so we can have a fresh and enjoyable time playing TacDom. This may come, and has been discussed, but for now it is workable, as there are much more important areas to refine in this mod.

Tac Dom is not about speed of take down or number of "confirmed" kills, its about squad movement, planning and number of deaths.

If you want a town to be taken down as fast as normal dom, the plan is simple all rush in en masse and kill everything, die a lot, do your own thing. In other words play domination.

We should change the revive setting on the normal Dom server to medic only revives and see how long that takes.

Yankee was a thoughtful squad leader, GJ and thankyou for stepping up. Well done AJ also for stepping up to the SL role.

Something didnt feel right about the game yesterday. We will review it for next week.

Just a thought,

It seems like there is an advantage for the opfor leader to start preparing as soon as we do. TacDom is already, to me, a great map and scenario and I thoroughly enjoy it. However, is there anyway to setup a trigger for the opfor leader so that he cannot actually start leading his troops until after we are spotted? This way it "could" be possible for a small insertion team with silenced weapons to make their way in undetected. I noticed yesterday that it was quite easy for kalxen to load up AA to the area that we were most likely to land at (and we did). This could even be setup to rotate so that some AO's, the opfor leader has intel that we are coming and some that it is a surprise attack.

Other than that random thought I had a great time leading for the first time on Tacdom. Learned alot of good things and hope to make it next week!

Cheers,

Yank

Tac Dom is not about speed of take down or number of "confirmed" kills, its about squad movement, planning and number of deaths.

If you want a town to be taken down as fast as normal dom, the plan is simple all rush in en masse and kill everything, die a lot, do your own thing. In other words play domination.

We should change the revive setting on the normal Dom server to medic only revives and see how long that takes.

Yankee was a thoughtful squad leader, GJ and thankyou for stepping up. Well done AJ also for stepping up to the SL role.

Something didnt feel right about the game yesterday. We will review it for next week.

+1 to that. I was getting the feeling that people may have been trying for top fragger last night rather than no deaths. But maybe that is just because it feels good to be recognized as a good player. To me, being a reliable part of the team is the best thing we can do in a TAC DOM setting to prove that we're good players.

There was something a bit off last night IMHO, but all in all still fun. I've been sick with strep the past few days, maybe that was "off". <_<

Regardless though, thank you to everyone who make TAC DOM possible. I think I speak for the regulars when I say that all of the setup and coordination does not go unnoticed and is a part of what makes Spartan gaming so much fun for us.

Edit: I forgot to say good job to Yankee. I think it can be overbearingly busy at times for first time squad leaders. I think you will be even better at this in the future!!! Luggage, Zeno, T1, Kal, Durka, (and anyone I missed) thanks for bearing with and making it a fun night.

Sincerely,

Rooster

Edited by Rooster

Just a thought,

It seems like there is an advantage for the opfor leader to start preparing as soon as we do. TacDom is already, to me, a great map and scenario and I thoroughly enjoy it. However, is there anyway to setup a trigger for the opfor leader so that he cannot actually start leading his troops until after we are spotted? This way it "could" be possible for a small insertion team with silenced weapons to make their way in undetected. I noticed yesterday that it was quite easy for kalxen to load up AA to the area that we were most likely to land at (and we did). This could even be setup to rotate so that some AO's, the opfor leader has intel that we are coming and some that it is a surprise attack.

Other than that random thought I had a great time leading for the first time on Tacdom. Learned alot of good things and hope to make it next week!

Cheers,

Yank

Imho its not a issue. Smart commander will always place/concentrate AA where he can expect landing. Thats what opfor commander should do. IR he would have much more time to prepare defense.

Im only guest, so forgive me if i offend anyone.I'm straight and forward guy.

Main issue is chain of command on squad level and discipline of players. Of course most of us are trigger happy. But that's kind of lame to let 1 player snipe enemy squad from long distance when rest of squad take fire and casualties.

After alpha lost his original leader there was no leader establish at all.

You know in RL there will Lt, sgt's, corporals and chain of command would be clear. Without that everyone is a leader, so there is no leader at all.

Logistic part of game works perfect, Co, comm works same well.

To me, being a reliable part of the team is the best thing we can do in a TAC DOM setting to prove that we're good players.

I feel the exact same way. While I wasn't getting a lot of kills while spotting for Asher on Delta, I was able to help the rest of the team by spotting enemy forces at the AOs to help Command adjust strategies knowing where the enemy was. Not to mention calling in fire support on D-30 batteries is always fun, knowing the enemy had no idea what was about to hit them.

Concerns re: OPFOR setting up time - Honestly, the AO randomly spawns and getting the troops/vehicles to move 1800m to be int eh right place takes forever sometimes. As for the AA, I just figured where I would insert and set up guys in those areas. You guys were very successful at engaging my radiotower however that you never appeared on the map until the radiotower was down.

Delta squad / spotters - One thing I would advise is that if you plan to parajump into the AO, don't do it within 500m of the AO.. you light up like a Xmas tree and if you think you are stealthy high and sniping, the OPFOR commander can see you. I saw Tholozor almost every time he inserted, and I think killed him a few times before he landed.

Nah, I always made it to the ground. First death was by the northern D-30 battery, we actually stumbled across it by accident. The next 2 deaths were from the Vodnik that drove up onto the hill be moved to. After we took the Vodnik out we didn't get killed again.

I had a good time, many thanks to everyone who makes it possible. You Spartans run a fine establishment!

My night was peppered with tech issues, and I had a couple chances to be SL. I learned a lot, and thank everyone for bearing with me and those who pointed me in the right direction along the way.

Sortie 1 - Bravo team, Idan SL, I was MG + satchel, 2IC for Bravo. Our first insert went poorly, so Alpha was on their own for a few. Second insert took some time, the plan was to Helo in with three Humvee's, we had many JIP during this time. We had a pilot and our SL drop out for a bit, so there was confusion and some disorganization. Apologies to luggage and T1, we didn't handle our brief switchover very well. Eventually we got everyone organized, into humvees and set off. It was a sight to see! Enroute to the AO, we encountered some armor and everyone did a good job of defending our convoy, we moved up and parked just near the tower, secured and destroyed, then made our way into town. We spotted a large squad up on a hill trying to flank us and pinned them down, then moved into town and as we were clearing it we got into a bad spot. We were in a group of houses that had very steep hills to where the enemy was, making them not easily defendable. We ended up having one go down, and subsequent revive attempts were met with bullets, then Kal showed up and added to the fun. Long story short, we were down. I really, really wanted to break the "you're dead, don't talk" rules, but this brings up a point. We need better security provided for our medics. The area should be secured before revive attempts. Kal was hiding behind a wall, waiting. I got revived, my medic got blasted, and I sprayed at Kal, he got me too. It was a mess! Alpha couldn't get there in time, so we respawned and reinserted. IIRC at that point it was mostly just a little cleanup, most stuff was taken care of on the way in.

Sortie 2 - Bravo team, SL myself - We were tasked with the radio tower, which had a camp right next to it. I had my key binds so that I spoke to selected channel + current channel, not sure if this is better or worse for the guys in the squad? Everyone pretty much had the necessary kit, Skeletele and sar medic helped me out along the way. Everyone did a real good job and I was able to deal with communications and JIP players without feeling me life was in danger too much. We inserted via helo and made our way to the radio tower encountering only light resistance. As the charges were being set half the team was sent to begin securing the camp, by the time I got there with the tower team it was done, nice! Then command ordered us to hold a position in the treeline, we had about 400m of no cover, we would secure our area, then be given arty smoke support to move. The guys did a good job again and cleared us a path to the SW of town, our arty was delivered and we moved to secure a large warehouse, resupply and deal with minor casualties. We met a pretty fierce fight here, several heavy armor and many infantry. While we were fighting we started getting hit by mortar fire, and it turned out to be friendly. This almost wiped out our squad, but luckily there were one or two survivors. It was at about this point that I discovered I could not drop ammo, and as Mr. Halli kindly informed me, Bravo SL don't get no ammo. So I had to leave the game and come back, leaving point man Skele in charge. I kept doing comms between the squad and MC/2IC, and the team was making good progress towards mission completion. They moved to Alpha's drop and resupplied there. I was coming in on a chopper to the same point, but when I landed found that I could not get out of the chopper, or eject, nothin. So I rejoined again, damn. Somewhere in there Skele lost connection, I was unaware and Bravo started to get separated, after a little powow we got everyone regrouped and moving together again sweeping the AO to find the enemy factory. Sorry sar medic for making to work! While the guys were doing that, I'd rejoined and got into chopper one with Skele, we flew around the AO scouting and found the last target that was holding us up, a friggen UAZ with a driver still in it. Thanks everyone for doing such a good job,!

Somewhere in the night, Chopper one got blowed up at base, and on my screen and several others it appeared as a wreck, though the Pilot saw it as fully repaired. This caused some confusion, and probably 10minutes delay getting a few of us back in the fight before we figured out what was going on. "Get in chopper one, yeah I know, the one that looks wrecked, it's a new stealth prototype designed to fool the enemy!"

User posted image

Later on there was a group doing tactical side missions in the main dom server. I was having a good time, and got voluntold to be SL again, but with a twist, in this scenario you were basically command + SL, so you had to worry about what your and another squad are doing at the same time. This was a little rough to get used to after a few beers, but I did my best and the more experienced players again gave me help when needed. I'm pretty sure I mispoke several times, calling out bogeys and bandits (hey, we were in the SW so maybe bandito's ain't outta the question?:) I learned some new things and found out that I know fuckall about helo LZ's! Yoshi was doing Bravo team, and did a very fine job I must say, always came back with clear comms and direction on what was going on. We had a couple new guys join us, QB and family, they didn't quite understand the idea of 'tactical' at first, but after a quick powow, we were on the same page. I'm pretty sure they enjoyed it because they stuck around with us, hope to see you guys come back for more!