Spartans Home

Questions about Choppers

Batwing~SPARTA~

Hi,

I am practising my pilot skills using the "boot camp" option and flying freely to get accustoomized to the chopper.

Ii have this problem:

I cann t find a way to shut the engine off and get out thhe chopper.

I did set my controls on joystick, throttle on joy throttle axis and all other controls set and working.

When I land duriing the boot camp exercise, I cann select thhe option shut engine off and I hear the engine poweriing down. Then, when almost at 0 rpm, suddenly it starts up again, regaining rpms and getting back to idle.

Is this a limit in boot camp excercise, not allowing me to get out the choopper till my excercise is complete annd i m back in base?

Iin fact, when I am doone wiith the xercise and i land back in base, an animation take me right away out thhe choopper, ii don t evenn have to select the option.

I didn t try flying in any other environment other thhan booot camp, maybe in a normal mission it woorks fine.

Any idea?

NOTE: sorry for mispels, this freeking keyboard is just a nightmare, and i m tired to go back and forth too correct all thhe double -types I got :)

no worries on the misspells. When you scroll the action menu, hit "get out" and it'll automatically power the bird down while you're getting out. If you stay in the chopper, just hit "engine off" in the action menu, but make sure your throttle is all the way down, since that might be what's causing it to spin up again.

You might also try sticking a helo on the map in the editor and trying from there. The boot camp mission may prevent you from leaving the heli/shutting the engines down.

Surprisingly, you'll start to fly better once you get into 1st person flying. Easier to keep steady, you can judge distances better, and you've got the artificial horizon for those autorotation landings (Arma2 is probably way off reality here. Start with some height, >20m. Zero out your throttle. Keep the nose at 5-10 degrees (first/second notches on AH). Set it down gently. You may need to keep some forward speed).

Give it some time, and you'll get used to it. Oh, and reset your controls from the defaults. I've got the "turn" disabled and am using bank/yaw separately now instead. And for those that don't know how RL helis control, you're missing the collective (how much the blades "bite" into the air, right?) and the rudder pedals (at least on my RC, you've got to use the tail rotor to counteract the difference in torque when ascending/descending.

But Arma is an infantry sim with combined arms. Don't expect too much reality from anything other than the ground pounders.

That s fine.

I only fly 1st person (uused to other flight sims). I m not looking for reality on the flight model here, just mastering the basics.

@ Durka: i know how to get out of there, in fact when i click "get out" it starts to shut down the engine, problem is it restart by itself. I do believe my powere is full down on my joyy, but can t say for sure.

Theoretically I should still be able to get out leaving the engine spinnning for quick take off, but i simple cann t get out.

@AJsarge: yes, i guess i have to try something with the editor and test iit outside the bootcamp, just to be sure is not an environment limitation.

Thx