Spartans Home

TACDOM Dec 4, 2009 - 2000 GMT

T_1

Or more artillery?

Sure. First we need to find someone who is happy to sit about away from the AO, and do nothing but wait for someone to ask the Mission Commander for artillery support. Then we need to find Squad leaders who want, and need to use artillery, then squad members who are happy to let someone else blow everything up and sit back and watch the rounds come in, that is of course if the other team aren't already using the arty, and the mission commander wants to use it.

Oh, and we also need someone else to babysit the Arty operator because once they set up they are prime pickings for enemy anti air and roving enemy AI.

Arty was available, and was used last night, however at the moment it sits with the 2IC, or MC, so in addition to co-ordinating the pilots, dealing with Jippers, dealing with comms, and trying to work out some kind of strategy for the AO, it was not available on a whim. Like everything else it has to be used in a co-ordinated manner.

Using Artillery in TACDOM is not just about plastering the AO with HE rounds.

Fire control (who fires and especially WHEN) has always been a dificult part. If I had a nickel for every time I said ROE was RED and somebody made a mistake...

The busy comms was partly me, and when I realized I was only hearing portions of conversation, I backed off.

MH-6's Bravo Team with Tholozor on point was very effective. The group remained adhesive and efficient.

Losing the Cobra early on during the toughest part of the mission was a tough break.

Cheers to T-1 for creating a workable battle strategy.

If I am ever Mission Command, 2IC, or Team Leader again, I for one will not be requesting any type of artillery or close air support. I might be willing to allow CAP to help out with enemy air, but that is stretching it. I will allow mortars though. Here are my reasons.

1. Artillery requires at least two people to manage. A forward observer and a gunner. That's at least one forward observer. Add two transport pilots, one attack pilot, and the MC/2IC, and you have 7 people minimum out of the fight on the ground. That's almost a whole squad with the firepower of a company, and takes away from the game.

2. TACDOM was started to emphasise an infantry simulation, especially when it comes to tactics and movement in a realistic enviornment with limitations set by the game. It's also meant to be fun. Currently, we as a group are nowhere near moving and coordinating in the manner of a real-world enviornment. I'll ask you this, what fun is it when you are on the ground aiming at something, and arty is splashing around everywhere, helicopters and planes are buzzing about? It sounds cool, but how coordinated do you think you could be in that situation? Maybe in the next few weeks this might be a reality, but when we have squad members running off on their own, those who don't listen to directions, it makes the job of bringing in combined arms that much harder.

3. The "Cool" factor. Helos, tanks, airplanes are very cool, no doubt, and I love flying them more than anyone, but we set TACDOM up to be purely infantry based, with limited resources. Our fun is not in how many explosions we can produce, but it is had when all squads move in a coordinated manner, reaching the objective on time, and destroying the enemy with lethal precision. Think of it as an orchestra. There are many elements, from the conductor down to each individual instrument. When one is off-sync, things don't sound right. When everything is working together the way it should, and all players are hitting their notes at the right time, it is beautiful.

That is what we're striving for. At the moment, we're at the level of a Freshman high-school band that doesn't march just yet. We'll get to the Sydney Opera house in a few short weeks, I promise you, but it takes practice.

Taking out the cool weapons may turn some people off, but the good news is that we will be a happy few who reach that level of realism this game can produce that much more quickly, and then we'll bring in the extra vehicles. :)

IPB Image

Oh, I also wanted to say one more thing real quick. (sorry!) Almost everyone, including me, likes to talk about how we can better things using air assets, or big-boom support, but I rarely hear/see anyone talking about how we can better our ground strategy. Just some friendly food for thought :)

Oh, I also wanted to say one more thing real quick. (sorry!) Almost everyone, including me, likes to talk about how we can better things using air assets, or big-boom support, but I rarely hear/see anyone talking about how we can better our ground strategy. Just some friendly food for thought :)

How about a more human AI?

How about a more human AI?

Oxymoron, or did you mean allowing humans to control extra AI support?

Controlling AI = turning the game more into an RTS, and though I have played with this code and maps that do this (Dom has this built in) its not the same to watch your chess pieces move around the board instead of immersing yourself into one.

I was mentally knackered last night.

Firstly big thanks to Luggage, then AJSarge, MH6, and EMT for undertaking pilot duties without any "SYA" syndrome, for Durka, Dai, Zeno for SL duties, and again MH6 for leading Bravo on the second town. Kal, Halli, and Cy for helping out with Jippers. (I'll stop now before anyone thinks I'm accepting an Oscar)

I was beginning to think that the first town was never going to fall, and we'd be stuck there for the whole night. I think it took two hours (and that's not including the start up at base) so I was glad to see it fall eventually.

Second one went a bit better, but it was difficult juggling Squads, Pilots, Mortars, and new players without my trusty 2IC.

Hope everyone had a fairly enjoyable time, and that I didn't piss of too many people.

T

Oh, I "SMA"'d once or twice. But, it's easier to do and cooler for the guys riding when you're doing it as part of a normal op in first-person view.

And again I'll say it: I'm banning myself from combat aircraft during TacDom nights.

PS: If you're going to limit fixed-wing to CAP duty, any thought of using the GLT F-16 in CAP/Strike versions?

Edited by AJsarge