Spartans Home

Persistent Server Ranking

drew

I've heard that sparta has ties to the bohemia development team, it could be really cool to have some sort of persistent ranking system on the servers. If you participate in either a main AO or side mission you could gain some sort of experience that would accumulate over time and could display your rank or possible unlock special character models on the server side to let other players know your experience level. This could also be used for successful piloting missions, I'm not sure if the game is collecting that information or not; but it definitely tracks kills and objectives. If you see a character running around in a jump suit you would know for sure they were qualified to fly.This sort of carrot system could system could promote keeping teams together through out the entirety of the missions; it will also promote people to return to the server as they are seeing a direct affect of their efforts. I believe it would be significant work on the in-game side to implement some sort of GUI for these stats, but I could see this being collected server side to generate some sort of html stats page that would be connected to the sparta site.

Just a thought? Your thoughts?

Personally I have always felt Ranking systems ala Battlefield are a huge detriment to most games as all they truly reward is time spent on the server not necessarily skill or teamwork.

My experience in the past has been that newer players are already at enough of a disadvantage without 12 year old's (who do nothing but get home from school and hit the servers) lording it up with the most powerful weapons, abilities etc.

In my view, far from promoting teamwork and tactics, rankings would encourage the run and gun aspect as people tried for the 'Next Level'.

Personally I have always felt Ranking systems ala Battlefield are a huge detriment to most games as all they truly reward is time spent on the server not necessarily skill or teamwork.

My experience in the past has been that newer players are already at enough of a disadvantage without 12 year old's (who do nothing but get home from school and hit the servers) lording it up with the most powerful weapons, abilities etc.

In my view, far from promoting teamwork and tactics, rankings would encourage the run and gun aspect as people tried for the 'Next Level'.

I couldn't agree more.

I agree with Dai, you see it even now with the map stats which rank people by kills and points until it is restarted. People fight for points rather than play as a team. Obviously this isn't the norm but it does happen.

Persistent stats would be interesting, maybe just allow the play to view them - but it sounds like a lot of work and would require a central network for the servers to connect to.

I see the negative affect you guys are pointing out. I guess my idea of stats/ranking were less about ego stroking and more about player progress and continuity. If there was some way to track stats, you would know which of the missions you have actually completed/which ones you have left. If your stats persisted from one day to the next and from server start to restart I think players would be less likely to rush out and leave their team in the dust in attempt to get kills. There could also be experience bonus's penalties associated with teamwork actions. If you die you are penalized, if you revive someone you gain exp. This would promote sticking together, the points could be as such that you are still gaining experience even if you're dying a lot. Commanders/Admins could also maybe award points/medals. I'm not suggesting a call of duty style leveling system where players will want to grind their way to the top. Its more about creating some persistence to something that feels to reset every time I reconnect. Even the ability for the server to save my preferred loadout would be a step in this direction, it would save everyone time and it would create; in a sense, a character where there otherwise would not be. Maybe this could be tied to the players name/class chosen. I suppose this doesn't change the core experience at all, nor does it promote team play. I just thought it would be cool to see some personal progress, a reward for time vested, and a way to know who to follow cause they know their stuff.

keep the ideas coming?

Edited by drew

Theoretically - the Armory within Arma 2 has a progression system where you have unlocked things based on missions completed, etc. Things are weapons, armor, etc but it is all limited to the Armory itself.

Stats, neato factor. But only if they make sense (as with any metric) and they don't detract from the teamwork concept. If it just makes more Rambos', then its the wrong direction.

Ranking - bad. I think that concept was popularized by games like BF2 that give people rank marks against their name based on criteria of total kills, etc. The problem with that is 1) give it enough time and everyone is a general, and 2) exploits like the medic-pad-your-buddy 50k times make the criteria for such just useless.

I prefer to get to know my fellow players as a community, not from titles.

drew,

Definetly keep the ideas coming. Never hesitate to raise ideas here and don't be bothered if every idea isn't popular. We have a great idea sharing community here in my opinion and such sharing of ideas has benefited SPARTA and any number of associated players. We welcome them and are honored to have people using our forums for idea sharing.

As I said, keep it up.

I like the idea of persistent stat tracking, but not of kills.

Time spent on a specific map

overall accuracy %

# of revives

In the negative...

TKs

Things like these that foster teamwork, server occupancy, and a monitor of whether you are bettering yourself or getting worse would benefit the community a lot. If only we could incorporate this into the forum system we currently have.

As a point of ref. Dragon Age as the "Bioware Community" which is kind of like facebook for bioware games. It does stat tracking as well as screenshot posting. So, we know this type of tracking is doable.

Stats, well after each mission, ok but no tracking of total kills etc.

I would love to see a possibillity to record the mission for each player, and later use that info to replay/evaluate objectives etc. That would really help the tactical side. A big screen with the vieuws of different players at the same goal, and the insight when the enemy shot whom and why they were vurnerable would be really great. Heck I think the military would be very very interested in such a feature as Arma II is already on the realistic side of things.....

bit more indoor fighting, more varied maps, jungle, boat insertions there's enough to whish for, but the tactical revieuw possibillity would make those more likely to appear....

I like the idea of persistent stat tracking, but not of kills.

Time spent on a specific map

overall accuracy %

# of revives

In the negative...

TKs

Things like these that foster teamwork, server occupancy, and a monitor of whether you are bettering yourself or getting worse would benefit the community a lot. If only we could incorporate this into the forum system we currently have.

As a point of ref. Dragon Age as the "Bioware Community" which is kind of like facebook for bioware games. It does stat tracking as well as screenshot posting. So, we know this type of tracking is doable.

An accuracy stat or number of revives I could respect that good idea

I think a nice option could be to make something like a ranking list for a special competition. I.g. I started to make a TvsT mp fun-mission called dogfights which is designed as the name says to make dogfights with lets say 6 vs 6 Pilots. Then make a kind of competion which lasts for example one month and after the month ends the best 12 pilots have to face the final round in order to crown the ace of aces.

So as soon as I return home I will start to work that out. Should be no big deal.

Greets from Koh Phangan

Project Reality has an elaborate scoring system designed around cooperative goals (building FOBs, etc). It certainly rewarded successful groups of people moving through a map with big scores, but it was wholly dependent on in-game communication tools.

I've played many times now as a SL, and I'll end my most successful assaults with maybe a revive or a kill. I'd guess that 90% of my gameplay came through Teamspeak. My avatar just moved around for observation and direction for the squad. How can you score that?

I am too Rookie to really express a comment on how Arma 2 shoudl work on stats, but my 2 cents are related to a generic concept.

Ii would love to have a game keeping track of Order accomplished.

A commander dispatch a squad to do something. Server keep track of that Squad accomplishment. Members will get 'points" because achieved an order as a Squad.

A wounded felllaw ask for a Medic and the medic revive him, Server keeps track.

A Squad Leader ask for a Pilot lift off or extraction and a Pilot respond, server keep track. This works for ground vehicles as well - Tank crew works as a Squad and achieve points achieving their objectives. CAS Pillots get points when answering calls for CAS.

Any "point" is achieved only as Squad achievement. You have to be part of a Squad and your Squad have to be dispatched to a specifiic objective. You have to follow your Squad Leader orders to achive the Squad results.

I do not know yet if Arma 2 allows this tracking system, but this would be cool.

This is the only basic concept of Stats I can think about.

An accuracy stat or number of revives I could respect that good idea

Let me clarify. I meant the number of revives you have GIVEN, not the number of times you have been revived or have died. Athough, the latter would be nice because if you showed the number of respawns versus times you have been revived you would see who waits the full time limit for a team revive.

I am too Rookie to really express a comment on how Arma 2 shoudl work on stats, but my 2 cents are related to a generic concept.

The ideas you expressed are valid, except for how Arma 2 itself is played. So much of the communication you noted (like asking for a revive) is done in Teamspeak, and no server can really 'track' how we communicate in TS.

The only way I could see a scoring system based on teamwork operate would be as an addon. The addon would include all the various communication types soldiers might use (CAS, medic, navigation & coordination, etc), and players would interact through this addon to accumulate points, which are associated with coordinated use of the various addon components (think of PR's Commo Rose mechanism). In the end it would be needlessly complex, since scoring itself is an attempt to model success, and success in Arma is itself a very complex goal.

Since Arma is a military simulator of sorts, then ranking may be pursued in a similar manner, via an officer and badge structure in the forums, operated by some senior members familiar with military advancement. That system is used by various realism clans in this and other games, and I don't like it at all. It sets up a false hierarchy and alienates new players, because-unlike the military- we're faking it here, and the associated power struggles and ego growth regulary get out of hand in those groups.

SPARTA does exhibit an informal ranking system for Arma 2. Frequent players become known entities. Their strengths and weaknesses are learned from shared experience on tac nights and other focused play events.

Halli, for example, is known as one of the 'big guns' to bring in when cohesion has failed. His TS discipline and mannerisms are excellent for the task.

Zeno, a self-admitted flop at CQB, is far superior as a battle planner and strategist. The latter goes for Durka.

T1 is a good all-around leader, especially as a Squad Leader. Others have skills as pilots, gunners, tacticians, and the rest.

We don't track it any further than knowing who can complete a task when we are playing as a focused group. Our memories are the scoreboard. An advantage is that there is no stat-padding, hacking, or cheating in this scoring system. "High scores" are earned by good communication and coordination.

Hey, you know what Ebden...

I truly love your way.

Hoonestly, it's easy, straight to the point, achieve results in game and enjoyment doing it... welll.. i think Sparta doesn t really need anything else.

Ranking may be a need for other groups but not for Sparta and i totally subscribe your style.