Spartans Home

Hunter~SPARTA~

I've been thinking about giving EVE a try for awhile, but just never knew anyone else that played. But since there seems to be quite a few of you here that do play, I think I'll give it a shot.

Whats a newbie need to know coming out of the gates?

I'm signing up for the trial now.

- JHunter

The hardest thing about Eve, it being a noobie, because it's a massive learning curve.

Eve is split up into 3 main sections:

Empire

Low sec(urity)

0.0 (zreo-zreo space)

Basically Empire is relativity safe and low sec & 0.0 will come later (several months later)

The main thing is do the ingame tutorial, read the web wikis & speak to people.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Eve-Online--How-to...-the-right-foot

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a...threadID=659413

Map

stay out of low sec to start, mine high sec (empire) high security areas are from 1.0 to 0.5 security status.

A low sec mining video not great but has some info

Eve University

we pretty much do are thing But we do have a starter corp Legionofsparta (LOSC) if you wanna learn high sec b4 you

move to 0.0 security systems...get the feel of the game

LOSC is a great place to learn by some High Sec veterans. They can help you learn the basics of the game, HUD, and even some mission running and/or complex running.

A greta place to start with Gunny and Dr. No. The rest of us however, are manufacturing Tech 2 ships and killing other players in PVP corps.

to yankee and Delta evemail me your names in game and ill be glad to assist in helping you guys..my toon names are

(Comproller, Dr.fatfinger) .. (DrNo is DrNoOne and Rahlstin) we are in high security 0.5-1.0

Medic, stop trying to scam the poor newbs. Everybody already playing eve knows that you all are just a bunch of internet forums tards from SA who happen to have numbers (and stupidity) on your side.

Your main ways of making money starting out are going to be A. Mining (boring as it gets in EvE) and B. Missions (you can get to the real money-making missions within 2-3 months, and that's just because getting the skills to fit a battleship take that long)

And about that above EvE skill-cli...curve picture. It's not as bad now with the crash course and the improved tutorials (DO THEM!!! ALL OF THEM!!! DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY THAT YOU GET FROM THEM UNTIL YOU ARE 150% CERTAIN THAT YOU WILL NOT NEED THAT ITEM AGAIN!!! EVEN THEN SELL THEM INSTEAD!!!) but it will still take some work to get used to it all. Just make sure you realize that all your navigating will be done by "point-and-click" movement. You click a warpable object in the overview, and hit "Warp to 0" (you can use autopilot, but it takes about 250% longer and you're liable to getting suicide ganked if you have something worth ganking for). If you're in combat, you set your default orbit distance to your guns' optimal range and hit the orbit button.

But the best advice would be going through the all the career agents first, and then getting into eve-uni from there. That will be the best head-start you can get (that I didn't do) from the getgo.

And remember, you have two chances to change your attributes. Get some "fun" skills in first (maybe cruisers and medium guns/missiles so you can do level 2 missions), and then remap your attributes to mem/int and train your learning skills to 4 if you're going to play for more than a month or two. After you get them to 4, remap to everything equal (except charisma, that's basically useless unless you run missions 23/7), and start into your desired profession's (what you use to make most of your money) skills.

You won't be making money very fast starting out, it's when you start making investments and get a few months in where you make more money than you may have skill for. And if you keep at it for 12+ hours a day 7 days a week, you'll have more money than you know what to do with (where you then spend it on PvP frigates/destroyers).

EvE-Online: aka- Internet Spaceships aka- Spreadsheets Online

Edited by AJsarge

Medic, stop trying to scam the poor newbs. Everybody already playing eve knows that you all are just a bunch of internet forums tards from SA who happen to have numbers (and stupidity) on your side.

Your main ways of making money starting out are going to be A. Mining (boring as it gets in EvE) and B. Missions (you can get to the real money-making missions within 2-3 months, and that's just because getting the skills to fit a battleship take that long)

And about that above EvE skill-cli...curve picture. It's not as bad now with the crash course and the improved tutorials (DO THEM!!! ALL OF THEM!!! DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY THAT YOU GET FROM THEM UNTIL YOU ARE 150% CERTAIN THAT YOU WILL NOT NEED THAT ITEM AGAIN!!! EVEN THEN SELL THEM INSTEAD!!!) but it will still take some work to get used to it all. Just make sure you realize that all your navigating will be done by "point-and-click" movement. You click a warpable object in the overview, and hit "Warp to 0" (you can use autopilot, but it takes about 250% longer and you're liable to getting suicide ganked if you have something worth ganking for). If you're in combat, you set your default orbit distance to your guns' optimal range and hit the orbit button.

But the best advice would be going through the all the career agents first, and then getting into eve-uni from there. That will be the best head-start you can get (that I didn't do) from the getgo.

And remember, you have two chances to change your attributes. Get some "fun" skills in first (maybe cruisers and medium guns/missiles so you can do level 2 missions), and then remap your attributes to mem/int and train your learning skills to 4 if you're going to play for more than a month or two. After you get them to 4, remap to everything equal (except charisma, that's basically useless unless you run missions 23/7), and start into your desired profession's (what you use to make most of your money) skills.

You won't be making money very fast starting out, it's when you start making investments and get a few months in where you make more money than you may have skill for. And if you keep at it for 12+ hours a day 7 days a week, you'll have more money than you know what to do with (where you then spend it on PvP frigates/destroyers).

EvE-Online: aka- Internet Spaceships aka- Spreadsheets Online

Haha what kind of Goon would I be if I didn't at least try? Dont' worry though, I am sure a stroke of good-heartedness would intervene at some point and I'd tell the truth, but it would have beenfun to see how far it went. ;)

Sarge talks about one of the mechanics of EVE that appeals to many players and which puts it apart from other MMOs. This mechanic is that you can change your mind at any time. FOr instance, you begin playing as a day trader, and 6months in to it, you find that it is boringand there is no action in it, so you want to train something else. Heres the thing: YOU CAN. You dont have to start a new character or try and change your class, you just stop the previous skill and start a new one. There is it's downside as well. You will want to be good at everything. This would take years of trainingto achieve, so you should stick with something and train other skills to diversify your stats.

EVE Online best spreadsheet

And the trial will start when you actually log into the game for the first time.

Really, if you just go through all the starting missions and the Epic Arc mission with the Sisters of EvE, you'll wind up with a small collection of ships and a hefty amount of cash to your name.

Thought stick this here rather than start a new thread.

Any of you guys use the Eve Strategic Maps I have knock up a web database for searching for a system, it reports back the page number and grid ref. I am so lazy I can't be bothered to look it up in the index.

Also added the mini-map option if you click on the View link at the side of your results.

ESM Search Thingy

• 1 month later...

Guess I'll chime in here too as I was reinstalling GRAW and cod4 mw and looking for patches I too clicked an ad for eve again Lured by their amazing art work. loading trial right now and we shall see.

Wish me luck.

I will be inquiring about the dual screen set up but not here.

Just started Level 3 missions, and the ISK is ROLLING IN! I generally go up at least 1 mil each mission for completion pay, time bonus, and salvaging. That's the best way to make money with mission-running: Salvage, salvage, salvage.

The trick is to have your main character as your mission runner. And a second account/character in an Orca with a tractor beam/ 2x salvagers or if you have good salvage skills, 2x tractor beams/ 1x salvager. Tank the orca accordingly and use your drones. The other good part is that you can refit your mission runner's ship without having to dock just jetcan the modules back and forth and use the Orca's fitting service. It works great. You can even use the Orca to transport a Cruiser/frigate or even your battle cruiser for those missions with ship restrictions. It is a great platform for many uses.

The other thing to consider is your isk/hour intake.

For instance, if you have a caldari mission runner who uses missiles. The missiles cost money (unless you build them yourself (or corp)), this detracts from your net gain, but allows you to sit in one place and just send out missles instead of trying to get into and maintain range the way guns and lasers require.

The other aspect that directly affects your isk/hour is your skills. Example... again you are caldari missile slinger, the faster you can shoot missiles and the more damage they do, the faster you can complete your mission and eithe rmove on or begin salvaging.

Now, if you are well skilled in mining, you can even get to a point (depending on market values of course) you can make mor eisk/hour selling ore. Keep in mind that ore is generally more valuable than minerals becase the average player does not have perfect refine capabilities.

Speaking of skill make sure your agent affecting skills are as high as you can stand to train them. There is one that gives you a percentage bonus to rewards.

Just some things to keep in mind.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~