Spartans Home

PC meltdown

Killmiester

I was getting some system/graphics problems in game yesterday (Arma 2) so I decided to power down the machine and dust out heatsinks in case there were heat issues. After I took the heatsinks out, dusted them, and put them back in, the system wouldn't display anything on the monitor. The bios was giving me 1 long, 2 short beeps indicating a display adapter error at start up. I tried replacing my vid cards with one of my roommates and the same thing happens. Don't what the problem is cause I know that his video cards are functioning properly.

My specs are:

Asus L1N64-SLI WS

2x 3.0ghz Athlon 64FX Socket F (thats two seperate processors)

4GB Corsair XMS RAM

2x GF8800GTX 768MB SLI

Windows Vista Ultimate

For the record playing Arma2 has crashed my system from time to time. Never had a problem this bad.

Pull the sli bridge off and the second card out. Remove the first card and check for dirt in the socket. After removeing debree from socket, plug the card in and out a few times to wipe clean the contacts on the card, Restart, After conferming its ok shut down install the second card and bridge. Renable sli.

did you by accident get anything between the motherboard and the case (a small screw for instance) the beeping thing could be your PSU warning you about a shortcut somehwere (I had that beeps before and it was forgetting to put spacers underneath my motherboard, and my PSU saved my motherboard by nog givinga ny power untill I found out.

Oh and yes that was in the AMD Athlon 1400 period, I didn't do anything worng when installing this rig exept for not binding up the cables first time resulting in a rattling fan, but hey, you want to know the rig works before putting it tight..... and now enough for the hijacking of this thread....

Good luck killmeister

Could you have wiped a jumper off the Mainboard when you were dusting? Does the PC work with your friends vid card. does yours work in his? Were you running SLI, is there a bridge that could have dislodged?

I dont think so. There aren't really any jumpers on this motherboard. I got the same error beeps with each of our video cards. Haven't tried putting my card in his though. The SLI bridge was fully in place except when I replaced both of my cards with a single card of his.

Hate to ask the obvious questions, but...

Have you done any software upgrades recently?

Did you try starting in safe-mode?

Does your mobo have on-board video?

Nope.

Can't even get anything to display on the monitor, so negative.

Unfortunately no onboard video.

Pull the sli bridge off and the second card out. Remove the first card and check for dirt in the socket. After removeing debree from socket, plug the card in and out a few times to wipe clean the contacts on the card, Restart, After conferming its ok shut down install the second card and bridge. Renable sli.

Did all that and I'm still getting the error beeps and no monitor activity.

Edited by Killmiester

sometimes, especially after i clean up my system i have a problem like this. I don't know what causes it, really don't, but i usually disconnect all the power of peripheral devices in the pc, such as any other pci cards, floppy, dvd drives etc. And leave only one stick of ram. Then it usually goes. and then i reboot connecting everything else. I worked with IT before and one thing is right for pcs, All rules have an execption. When ppl say that 1 long and 2 short is vid card problem, they are just mentioning what the heard or read on the internet. 1 long and 2 short can also be power supply regulation problems, maybe due to an overload. Trying exchanging your PS and using only 1 video card for now.

sometimes, especially after i clean up my system i have a problem like this. I don't know what causes it, really don't, but i usually disconnect all the power of peripheral devices in the pc, such as any other pci cards, floppy, dvd drives etc. And leave only one stick of ram. Then it usually goes. and then i reboot connecting everything else. I worked with IT before and one thing is right for pcs, All rules have an execption. When ppl say that 1 long and 2 short is vid card problem, they are just mentioning what the heard or read on the internet. 1 long and 2 short can also be power supply regulation problems, maybe due to an overload. Trying exchanging your PS and using only 1 video card for now.

Ok I tried unplugging my DVD drive, took out all but one stick of RAM and left one video card in. I didn't get any beeps this time, but theres still nothing coming up on the monitor... I guess thats still progress lol.

I was getting some system/graphics problems in game yesterday (Arma 2)

So it looks like you were having issues before the total lost of your video.

from what you are saying you tested your roomate videocard and is not working either. This let me think about a serious issue with your motherboard chipset controller.

First of all you should test your cards once at the time, on your roomate system. you don t really need to install drivers, you just need to see if it POST and is displaying something on screen, also basic resolution 800*600 would be anough to see that the card is working.

If is working, then your problem is on your motherboard and your cards are fine.

You said you were running a SLI, so you have 2 slots for videoccards. Try to install your roomate card (the one known as "working") not on the primary PCI-x slot but on the secondary one and see what s going on.

However, if your cards are working on the roomate rig and not on yours, your Chipset is failing. The Northbridge, which is taking care of the video data lanes is the culprit 99% and the only solution is replacing the motherboard.

Off the top of my head....

1) Make sure nothing is grounding to the case from the motherboard that shouldn't be.

2) Check the processors for a firm insert, that they are locked in, and no prongs are bent.

3) Ensure that the heat sinks are seated w/ heat sink paste solidly and no foreign materials are touching.

4) Ensure all fans are properly powered.

5) Ensure the video cards are firmly seated, that no prongs are bent, and nothing has somehow jammed into the PCI Express slots.

6) Double check all jumpers or connectors for firm seating

7) Remove all RAM/video cards and verify bootup error sounds to either video or memory issues (use onboard video initially, and individual sticks of RAM)

8) Double check the monitor cable for breaks or bent prongs.

How new are your cards? I had a similar issue with an ATI 4870 I bought back in January. I was playing Crysis when the graphics card freaked out and I had to reboot the computer. Thereafter the motherboard would beep when booting (1 long 2 short as well), and nothing I did would fix it. I ended up having to return the card and instead purchased a GTX 280, which fixed the problem. And I'm positive it wasn't a heat issue, as it was only running around 60°C (max).

Your problem may be totally unrelated, or it may not. I would try sticking a single video card in, and seeing if it boots. Try both cards individually. Then try any spare card you can get your hands on. If none of them work, it might be the motherboard.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

Off the top of my head....

1) Make sure nothing is grounding to the case from the motherboard that shouldn't be.

2) Check the processors for a firm insert, that they are locked in, and no prongs are bent.

3) Ensure that the heat sinks are seated w/ heat sink paste solidly and no foreign materials are touching.

4) Ensure all fans are properly powered.

5) Ensure the video cards are firmly seated, that no prongs are bent, and nothing has somehow jammed into the PCI Express slots.

6) Double check all jumpers or connectors for firm seating

7) Remove all RAM/video cards and verify bootup error sounds to either video or memory issues (use onboard video initially, and individual sticks of RAM)

8) Double check the monitor cable for breaks or bent prongs.

Just took out all my RAM sticks. After turning it on before with just one, there was no beeping. Then with no RAM at all, I got the same 1 long, 2 short beeps... So tried different sticks. I got one in there now and the monitor finally came back on. So its looking like it was bad RAM now...

Edit:Well it loaded windows. :banana:

Guess it was some shit sticks of RAM the whole time. Man I was worried it was the motherboard. That thing still costs $350 to replace.

You guys are awesome. Wouldn't have figured it out without ya. :cheers:

Edited by Killmiester

I was getting some system/graphics problems in game yesterday (Arma 2) so I decided to power down the machine and dust out heatsinks in case there were heat issues. After I took the heatsinks out, dusted them, and put them back in, the system wouldn't display anything on the monitor. The bios was giving me 1 long, 2 short beeps indicating a display adapter error at start up. I tried replacing my vid cards with one of my roommates and the same thing happens. Don't what the problem is cause I know that his video cards are functioning properly.

My specs are:

Asus L1N64-SLI WS

2x 3.0ghz Athlon 64FX Socket F (thats two seperate processors)

4GB Corsair XMS RAM

2x GF8800GTX 768MB SLI

Windows Vista Ultimate

For the record playing Arma2 has crashed my system from time to time. Never had a problem this bad.

buy this

Intel BX80582X7460 6-Core Xeon X7460 Processor

Product Features and Technical Details

Product Features

6-Core Xeon X7460

Technical Details

Brand Name: Intel

Model: BX80582X7460

Processor Count: 1

Computer Cpu Speed: 2.66 GHz

Computer Cpu Manufacturer: Intel

Cache Memory Installed Size: 16 MB

Processor Model Number: X7460

Product Description

The new Intel Xeon processor for DP workstations featuring the Intel NetBurst micro-architecture offers outstanding performance for multithreaded applications in a multitasking environment. The Intel Xeon processor is ideal for compute intensive and heavy workload applications that require floating-point performance and the intense use of graphics for design. The Intel Xeon processor features a 400 MHz front side bus, dual channel RDRAM memory and the Intel 860 chipset, which provides the bandwidth and performance throughput to deliver streaming audio/video and online collaboration. For your demanding application needs, Intel Xeon processor-based workstations provide the ideal solution.The Intel Xeon processor at 2 GHz is designed for dual-processing performance workstations. The processor is binary compatible with previous generation Intel Architecture processors.

Price: $1,593.42

I think this processor will run Arma?? I don't know what do you think ;) Ive never seen this before 6 cores. The price is crazy I just thought it woul be funny..........good luck

Ok so I put the other videocard in, turned the machine on and then I got that high pitched beeping. The screen was no longer coming on like it just did... So I took the other vid card out again and it came back on but the BIOS said "overclocking failed!" So I went to bios and turned it off (i never told it to do any overclocking...). I'm not sure if the problem was the vid card or the fact that the bios was trying to overclock my shit. Gonna try putting it back in again and we'll see.

hahahahahahaha

Continuous beep is ram or processor.

Where you by any chance amateurly overclocking your system?

No but it appears my bios has a setting to automatically overclock or something. I told it to stick to the standard settings which are 3.0ghz for each cpu so theres no need to overclock anyway.

The continuous beeping stopped when I took out my other GF8800gtx. Which would make sense since I was getting graphics problems when this started in the first place...

It's either the card or the slot, I'll switch the cards in a little bit and see what happens.

I just got on and read through this thread. I recently had to RMA my EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768m Superclocked card.

I had graphical anomalies for about a month with occassional crashes (auto reboots or graphics freezes requiring hard boot), but just thought it was drivers (occassionally it had either a nvd4.dll failure message, or a message stating the system had recovered from a serious error, upon restart) or my CPU (mine is an Intel E6600) whining about my overclocking I had done. Finally, the whole thing crapped the bed and at first I was getting the beeps you had, then after multiple attempts to get it to boot up, it came up with BSOD stating a device had stopped working properly and stating the GPU and or previously mentioned .dll device was bad.

Lifetime warranty on the EVGA card, so after 3-4 weeks of waiting, I got my new one and all is good now. My money says it is at least one of your cards, if not a simultaneous failure of both (most likely just one).

I just got on and read through this thread. I recently had to RMA my EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768m Superclocked card.

I had graphical anomalies for about a month with occassional crashes (auto reboots or graphics freezes requiring hard boot), but just thought it was drivers (occassionally it had either a nvd4.dll failure message, or a message stating the system had recovered from a serious error, upon restart) or my CPU (mine is an Intel E6600) whining about my overclocking I had done. Finally, the whole thing crapped the bed and at first I was getting the beeps you had, then after multiple attempts to get it to boot up, it came up with BSOD stating a device had stopped working properly and stating the GPU and or previously mentioned .dll device was bad.

Lifetime warranty on the EVGA card, so after 3-4 weeks of waiting, I got my new one and all is good now. My money says it is at least one of your cards, if not a simultaneous failure of both (most likely just one).

Ah thanks for the info... Thats exactly the same cards I have and I've been having the exact same problems.

However I bought this whole system second hand. It was one of those deals where my friend knows a guy, who has an uncle, who has a friend who works for AMD and built the whole thing for a PC convention back in '07. Would I still be able to get a replacement card? I don't have any receipts or anything.

Edited by Killmiester