Spartans Home

Gift for Stang?

Ebden~SPARTA~

The addon isn't quite finished, from what i've heard. I've tried it out, though, and it's fun. NOTE: I made a map with it, then at some point had to delete the file. I couldn't get back into the map, even after I reinstalled the addon, and deleted the vehicles off the map. Could be a bug with the addon, could be a bug with the game.

The addon isn't quite finished, from what i've heard. I've tried it out, though, and it's fun. NOTE: I made a map with it, then at some point had to delete the file. I couldn't get back into the map, even after I reinstalled the addon, and deleted the vehicles off the map. Could be a bug with the addon, could be a bug with the game.

I saw the helo puttering around in a Tactical Gamer map last week, engaging targets. It seems functional enough to kill the bad guy. What would be missing?

If it's the same mod that I played, it was terribly unrealistic, and I suggested they fixed a few things like the guns, but not sure if they did so. Basically, the ball turret on top also guided the mounted gun, and could be swung around 360 degrees, as well as the hellfire if I remember.

I'm 99% sure it won't be used on Fridays, since TAC DOM nights are designed to foster infantry tactics, i.e. grunts. It could be put on the air-dom server with no problems though.

If it's the same mod that I played, it was terribly unrealistic, and I suggested they fixed a few things like the guns, but not sure if they did so. Basically, the ball turret on top also guided the mounted gun, and could be swung around 360 degrees, as well as the hellfire if I remember.

I'm 99% sure it won't be used on Fridays, since TAC DOM nights are designed to foster infantry tactics, i.e. grunts. It could be put on the air-dom server with no problems though.

Ungh. The WHOLE point of the thread was because Stang used to fly the buggers, and I thought he'd get a kick out of seeing them in digital. Whether it was well done or not was secondary! All for a laugh, that's all.

Ungh. The WHOLE point of the thread was because Stang used to fly the buggers, and I thought he'd get a kick out of seeing them in digital. Whether it was well done or not was secondary! All for a laugh, that's all.

No need to get frustraited. The Kiowa is my favorite chopper, and I got a kick out of playing with it. That's why I suggested it for the air-dom server, since that's used for training and messing around. I'm sure Stang would enjoy it.

You asked about putting it up for Tac Nights, and the reason it won't go up there is because Tac Nights are reserved solely for those who want one night a week where they can play the game in a manner that mimicks a true military operation as much as absolutely possible, with the need for planning, discipline, and exceution. We had to take away air attack vehicles because discipline breaks down, as well as execution, affecting gameplay. I don't presume to speak for Stang, but I would think someone with his background would understand. I couldn't see the Kiowa in any role in Tac except for recon. Maybe someday.

Now, if they only took the doors off the things and put some more dirt/dust all over the choppers! :)

You asked about putting it up for Tac Nights,

Yes, right, ahem <assorted shifing eye contact, adjusting jacket and collar>... I did day that. I intended it to be applied to the tactical missions server, not tacdom, but I don't remember the last formal tacmission night, so yes, of course it would read as tacdom.

I was imaginging some of the Tac missions TG runs where I've seen the Kiowa being used, which are not available on armaholic, so even more to the angle that puts me in an uncomfortable situation.

You don't know goats, I never posted this thread. Fair deal?

Lmao, just a misunderstanding :)

If you've ever seen a Kiowa in their runs, or just playing around in the air during patrols, they are fun to watch. I spent a year in Mosul, and my particular observation post my squad controlled was on a hill with a commanding view of almost the whole city. The Kiowa pilots would fly around town gaining altitude, then dipping down to go insanely fast and insanely low, then go back up to do it all again. When we would go out on our missions, which was almost every day, we loved when they would fly over us because that meant the bad guys were keeping their heads down.

I didn't hear/see my first fighter jet over that AO until the last 2mo I was there, and the Apaches were almost always grounded, so we came to love the Kiowas. I have a video somewhere of the gun camera as he was firing on Uday's house. Pretty funny as the commanding officer (?) was making it very adamant to hit what they were aiming at, lol.

Great ideas Guys,

I'd love to see this MOD on one of the servers to try out (and the F-16 too) (Air Dom is fine with me....If we can get it working...hint hint)

Back when I was in, (when dinosaurs walked the earth), the 58's we're only used in a Tactical "Scout" Role which included FAC (Forward Air Control), Scouting for targets for the AH64's & fast movers and Light Observation (because we had none of the really cool gadgets the OH58-D model got (FLIR, IR, Long range cameras, etc, etc)

Basically it was a simple case that went like this,

"Hey Guys, how about fly your Kiowa over there and see if anyone shoots at you....if they do, call us and if the dam Apache isn't broke again...we'll fly over there and kick the Sh!@ out of em...and then take all the credit for the work"

"...uh... sure, no problem, sign me up"

Durka, I believe what you're referring to is a High G Low G Pop Up maneuver. Pop-ing up is typically used to attract fire or to create a diversion for something else, as the D model would only "unmask" the mask mounted sensor in live fire combat, not the whole airframe. The second thing it does is provide altitude that's easily turned in immediate energy for re-positioning...however I could be totally wrong as practically everything's changing since I was in.

If I was to download a couple of these MODs and try and run them on my PC...would that screw things up for me playing on the SPARTA Servers?

BTW Ebden...Thanks for the Gift...Its a great idea. I hope we get to use it one day.

Oh Wait...Last question. How hard is it to modify the flight model that ARMA 2 uses for the aircraft? It would be great to tweak them to a more "realistic" flight model. This would also remove a bunch of the "lack luster Pilots" and make the aircraft be used more realistically in the sim.

Lmao, just a misunderstanding :)

If you've ever seen a Kiowa in their runs, or just playing around in the air during patrols, they are fun to watch. I spent a year in Mosul, and my particular observation post my squad controlled was on a hill with a commanding view of almost the whole city. The Kiowa pilots would fly around town gaining altitude, then dipping down to go insanely fast and insanely low, then go back up to do it all again. When we would go out on our missions, which was almost every day, we loved when they would fly over us because that meant the bad guys were keeping their heads down.

I didn't hear/see my first fighter jet over that AO until the last 2mo I was there, and the Apaches were almost always grounded, so we came to love the Kiowas. I have a video somewhere of the gun camera as he was firing on Uday's house. Pretty funny as the commanding officer (?) was making it very adamant to hit what they were aiming at, lol.

Edited by Stang

"Hey Guys, how about fly your Kiowa over there and see if anyone shoots at you..."

That sounds very familiar, something related to finishing an AO in dom.

"Hey Guys, how about fly your MH-60 over there and see if anyone shoots at you..."

BTW Ebden...Thanks for the Gift...Its a great idea. I hope we get to use it one day.

Gee, thanks. I feel all gooey inside.

No, that's lunch. *urp

Confirming that the kiowa is not finished.

-Weapons and un-moving blades while in cockpit view are white

-"Eyeball" shows same view as if inside cockpit. AKA no external mesh.

-.50 works the same as the AH-1 turret (and probably sounds the same)

-sounds are "mushy" and need work

It would be nice though when it is finished. Until then, don't hold your breath. I'm going to stick with the AH-6 and MH-6 for my light chopper needs.