Spartans Home

Greetings Spartans !

Batwing~SPARTA~

Hello, Batwing here.

I found about your group online and I've been very interested. first of all the choice of name.. Spartans.. an Elite of warriors breed to the art of War. That is quite an important name to be proud of.

So, here I am.

I am 41, italian, living in FL since about 5 years now so i do belong to the EST time zone.

My passion is building PCs (job and pleasure) and playing games, among other passions I have.. otherwise my g/f kills me ;)

I've been playing military games since quite long time. Long background on all the Mechwarrior games, always played online in a military way, involviing massive tactical game and team play.

Then involved on flight sims as Falcon 4 (all the expansions "after-market") and Lock-On (till latest update).

In the last year and something I've been active member ((and i still am) of TAW on the GRAW 2 division, focused on COOP maps.

I am starting a strong interest for ArmA 2 and i want to find a group where maturity, strategy, traiining and Teamplay are not only nice words on a business card but are real and applied every day, on every meeting.

It looks to me ArmA 2 cannot be a game where players act as lone wolves, it makes no sense. I am looking for a team that really applies strategy and full teamplay.

Don't get me wrong, I still like TAW and the group I play with is made of great guys. Unfortunately there iis nothing like "structured" traiining, no team operations.. everything is left to a siingle initiative, "run 'n gun". I am tired of it and i m tired of GRAW 2 which is no more a challange for me.

I do not have ArmA2 yet, because I want to see if exist the kind of team I m looking for before I spend 50 bucks on another game. I 've been burnt a couple of times recently, buying games then were not exactly what I was looking for.

So, now I have some questions for you guys.:

What is your style?

Do you have training sessions (I will need training for this game, which sounds quite "simulative" and i want to learn from who is willing to teach) ?

Do you follow at least a basic of military organization during a mission?

How do you consider yourself when compared to other teams playing ArmA ?

Why should I choose Sparta as my next home instead another group?

I hope to hear from you soon guys,, till that moment..

Glory and Honor

Batwing

Welcome Bud.

We are not a clan. We pride ourselves on the community and maturity of our group.

We do Play ArmA2 but we have serveral styles and You will surley miss out if you do not Purchase the game and as for how we play why not jump into our teamspeak and just listen to the game while surfing or the like and you will see that we have a somewhat tactical gameplay on the public server and a whole lot more on some of our private servers.

If you do enter Teamspeak (in game channel) please do not walk on players, if you have questions just ask anyone with SA to pull you to another channel or just ask someone in a non game channel as there is always folks just shooting the breeze.

Jump on TS and meet some of the guys and gals.

I will have a go at addressing your questions.

ArmA 2 is a MilSim, based on a sim actually used by the military. I am told Some armies actully use ArmA 2 for training purposes. I was never in the military but we have members and many regular guests who were and they also view this as more of a MilSim than a game.

However we play a version of the game called "domination" which randomly generated occupied towns that need to be captured. On the public server many just run into the town, kill a few then die (only to try again). Others tend to move in small groups trying to cover each others approach. We limit the use of anything that unbalances the game and makes the towns too easy to take down. KalXen has modified the game to make the target towns very large and much harder to capture.

On Fridays we run a separate private server for Tactical Domination. On that night there is a commander and squad leaders, the commander lays out a plan and the squads execute it. all players have to be on TS with a working mike. The TacDom server runs 24/7 for those that want to play in that style. We run up to 7 servers to cater for different interests.

We do occasional training together, but it is informal and irregular.

We dont care about comparisons to other groups. We are a small group of friends that enjoy gaming together, we are not a one game group, but some of our members are focused on Arma. For us we like to play in a slow style, too slow for some, but more importantly we like to play amongst friends.

Frankly you shouldnt consider Sparta until you spend time with us, we dont do sales pitches, if people enjoy being amognst us and if we find a mutual "fit" they join us if not they move on with no hard feelings. Membership is not obligatory even on the private server nights.

I hope this answers some of your questions

Cheers

Z

Halli and Zeno

Thank you very much for your replies.

Last night I came on the TS and ii saw many of you in the ArmA 2 channel but I preferred to not disturb, not knowiing exactly about your channel policiies.

For sure i will join again, listening at the channel at the beginning. I will decide in these few days what to do, either getting the gmae or not.

Zeno, i do appreciate 2 points you talked about. First "playing slow" is a style i do like. I ve never been into quick shooters (Quake and siblings) and i would like CoD MW2 was a bit more realistic to enjoy the beautiful graphic they came out wiith, but unfortunately that game is no more than an arcade.

Second, playing with a good group of friends. This is important and i do really care about it. TThiis is proobably the only reason why I am still in TAW, playing GRAW 2. I am boored to death playing GRAW 2 now. Although many "mappers" created pretty good new coop maps, it is an old game. No dynamic, dumm AI, predictable enviironment, just to say some. BUT I play with great guys, they are nice and they make enjoyable the time we spend together, supporting your point that playing with the right ppl sometimes iis way more important than playing the game itself.

So, i ll come visit you on TS soon and i can t waiit to learn something more about your group.. oh, and bytheway.. I never used the word "Clan" :)

Glory and Honor

To give you an Idea of how we like things when we played and hosted Graw And Graw2 We tried our best to tone down the run and gun and when we Hosted CoD4 we played crouch only and are the ones who Hosted the Ghostrecon.net Crouch only Nights.

The player mentality we strive for are Just like the stlye that most guys on Ghostrecon.net look for although some games are hard to control in that fashion like Cod Modern Warfare but we still strive.

A large majority of our guys are older than you if that tells ya anything.

Also You can be a part of anything we do without tags so If the future holds that TAW grows stronger when Ghostrecon 4 comes out you would not have to say ..ah well Im going back over.

See ya online bud.

Hey batwing, welcome to the forums.

Halli and Zeno already laid out the general idea of the Spartan community, so I won't go over that again.

But as you can see, I am not a tagged member of Sparta, but I still consider this place home. I've only been on Arma 2 for about a month now, but all the guys in the server are great about getting you up to speed about the game itself and how to integrate yourself into this community. As Zeno said, I have not seen any real formal training going on, but if you're having a problem figuring something out, there are plenty of people willing to step away from the action, take you to a separate channel in TS and show you the ropes. All you have to do is ask.

As for the game, Arma 2 itself offers endless possibilities. It has one of the better and more skilled modding communities I've seen. If you're looking for more information to help guide your decision on whether or not to buy the game, I would recommend searching on YouTube for some game play videos. The videos may not demonstrate the "community" environment that the Spartans provide, but they can show you the vast amount of features provided by the game and the mods that have been created for the game. Also, I know on Steam there is a demo you can download (for free). I, myself, have not tried this demo, but it may be worth checking out before dropping $50 on a game you're still not sure about.

If you have any specific questions, you can always try to catch someone in the TS or post it up here on the forums. Between all the people here, we have a lot of knowledge about a whole lot of stuff.

Again, welcome and I hope to see you on the server soon.

- JHunter

Welcome to the group!!

We have a blast here playing as a team and working together. I think if you invest in the game (ARMA2) you will be very happy you did. Even it's single player is pretty darn good but it's multi-player is great.

The servers here are run professionally and the admins make sure everything goes smooth. 12 year olds on a frag-fest or other stupidity like team killing are quickly kicked and teamwork is kept in check.

I think you will be be pleasantly surprised at the group and individuals you'll encounter here...they are all a bunch of top rated fellas and not only are they easy to get along with, they are very helpful in getting you up to speed.

Welcome and give us a shout when you get online.

Small world Guys

My in-laws live in Lakeland Florida and I'll be coming down for Top Gun and Florida Jets right after the new year. Maybe we can all get together and have a beer?

:cheers:

Hey Batwing,

Nice to speak with you briefly this evening.

I am also living in Florida, Lakeland area, between Tampa and Orlando (work in Tampa).

Look forward to chitchatting with you some more and perhaps gaming with you at some point.

Wow !! this is just great !!

I m in Tampa and Lakeland is just about 40 minutes from my place !!

Outstanding ! We need to get together !! Stang, the beer is there for sure !

And, Stang, i go crazy for aircrafts and whatever flies, I' ve been to 2 airshows here at the MacDill airbase. If there is anything cool, we will go together ! :)

Guys add me on MSN messenger mario.sessa@hotmail.com

See ya !

Edited by Batwing

GOT THE GAME !!

I was reading the full manual and is very very nice to see all of the options are there... :)

I am heading spending the weekend with my g/f, but i ll be back home on Sunday afternoon and i will install this right away.

please let me know if there is anything above and beyond the standard install i do ahve to download to be fully compatible with your servers and i will comply.

See u soon !.. I m quite excited :)

Bat