Spartans Home

C2D or C2Q

Ebden~SPARTA~

I've been pondering the numerous crashes in Arma II, and I wonder if I'm pushing my luck with the current chipset. I have an E8400 oc'd to 3.6 from 3.0. I've read and read that ArmaII is cpu-intensive, and is far more suited to the quad core. My upgrade options are any of the 775 C2Q chipsets, when the budget allows.

Still, as far as game performance, is going quad-core all that critical to run a stable game?

I've been pondering the numerous crashes in Arma II, and I wonder if I'm pushing my luck with the current chipset. I have an E8400 oc'd to 3.6 from 3.0. I've read and read that ArmaII is cpu-intensive, and is far more suited to the quad core. My upgrade options are any of the 775 C2Q chipsets, when the budget allows.

Still, as far as game performance, is going quad-core all that critical to run a stable game?

hey ebden

i have q6700 2.66 stock oc to 3.55

4 gig ram (2.14 volt)

ati 4870 x2 2g also oc

the game runs great without any lag at all but once in a while it ctd when i get blowen away by a d30.

I'm playing on an i7 and I don't seem to have half the problems other people do. I've only been playing Arma 2 for a little over a month now, but I think I've on CTD 2 times in that period.

Anybody having problems running the quadcore? I really hope so, because I don't want to justify spending $300 on another chip.

Anybody having problems running the quadcore? I really hope so, because I don't want to justify spending $300 on another chip.

i know of guys here with q9650 and arma keep ctd pretty often, if thats the reason you want to change your cpu

it's a waste of 300 $.

With Arma2 being so processor intensive, a stable OC is a must. I use an AMD Phenom II X4 965; stock speed is 3.4GHz, and for a couple of weeks, I had it running just dandy at 4GHz.

Just dandy, that is, except for Arma2. There were a couple of times that I was able to run the game without problems, otherwise it would crash no later than 10 minutes into a game. I had to setp back down to 3.8GHz to get the game to run.

So I would suggest stepping down your OC and see if that helps.

With Arma2 being so processor intensive, a stable OC is a must. I use an AMD Phenom II X4 965; stock speed is 3.4GHz, and for a couple of weeks, I had it running just dandy at 4GHz.

Just dandy, that is, except for Arma2. There were a couple of times that I was able to run the game without problems, otherwise it would crash no later than 10 minutes into a game. I had to setp back down to 3.8GHz to get the game to run.

So I would suggest stepping down your OC and see if that helps.

Yes, good, thanks. I played a bit with some settings, cleared off a few programs, maybe it'll run better. One program that may have been a bad omen was the new AVG 9.0 w/firewall. The frequency of my crashes (CTD/error-freeze/BSOD), increased significantly when I upgraded to the new AVG. I've since removed that program for their free version w/o firewall.

I still don't have my $39 copy of Win7, but if/when it gets here, I hope the fresh install and x64 will help. I plan on resetting the OC to stock before I go ahead with the reinstall as well. Do I need to?

Dunno if its pure coinsident but when i bought ArmA II it ran flawless for the first couple of nights no oc all stock (look at my sig)

The i installed the littlebird mod and the @vop 2,1 sound and all of a suddon the game will crash once or twice an evening. May be coinsident or may not.

I run everything in "high" and view distance is set to 2000m

Dunno if its pure coinsident but when i bought ArmA II it ran flawless for the first couple of nights no oc all stock (look at my sig)

The i installed the littlebird mod and the @vop 2,1 sound and all of a suddon the game will crash once or twice an evening. May be coinsident or may not.

I run everything in "high" and view distance is set to 2000m

You have me beat with the quadcore, and that may matter more given comments last night on TS than my dual-core OC giving me a higher speed than your stock quad. It isn't so much that the quad works well with Arma, because Arma identifies only 2 cores to run, but the unused 2 on the quad take care of all other processes.

Still, I can regularly run with a view distance of 4000-6000 with minimal problems. If the server only has a few people, I can push to the max view distance with only inconsequential lag. I run on normal graphic settings and have implemented a few of the other reccomended tweaks to my 9800GT. I remember too that I can only push up the view distance and graphics with the OC. W/o the overclock I have to turn things way back.

I haven't played since clearing a bunch of stuff last night from my hd, but if it still is acting up, I will probably re-evaluate my OC and other BIOS settings. Is anyone here familiar enough with OC settings and variables that we could talk on TS to ensure I have everything set properly before testing w/prime95?

The key focus areas for this troubleshoot, and thanks those who are still reading, are:

Overclock stability

BIOS tweaks

Nvidia settings

in-game graphic settings.

I can't think of anything else I should investigate. I'm going to try (Try!) to get home early today so I can have a free bit of time to work on this w/o supper-making, kid-driving, or wife-tending chores.

zeno was gettind ctd all night on sunday, he said somethign about avg also.

AVG=Anti-Video-Gaming.

I've downgraded to AVGfree w/o firewall. They had a req'd upgrade to 9.0 which included the firewall change. Good thing my paid subsc. was just about up anyway.

It's been quite some time since I installed AVG for any my clients, because I switched to Avira more than 18 months ago. Personally, I'd recommend Avira as a free solution, or Kaspersky for a subscription service, and I've never had a problem with either. Avira is ranked by CNET and other sites as the best free AV package, whereas Kaspersky actually has a "gaming mode" that not only suspends AV services but can also be configured to suspend other unnecessary tasks that could potentially boost performance.

However, if you're particularly keen on AVG, packages as recent as Version 8 could be installed from the command line with various switches that would bypass the installation of services such as Firewall or SafeSearch. I'll have to dig through my custom installation discs to find more info if you need it, but odds are that you can get a list of what switches are available by running the installation EXE with the /? parameter, as is common with many applications. A Google search should also yield some informative results.

I run an i7 920 OC to 3.8 rock solid with hyper-threading turned off. Ive read on the bi forums that arma doesn't like hyper threading and i limit the ram 2 gigs. I get a ctd maybe once a week other than that it plays well but not perfect hopefully Bohemia will get a patch that optimizes the game more. we can only hope and wait.. to get back on point Quad core is the way to go for arma..... do it do it now

I run an e6600 oc'd to 2.913 Ghz and an 8800 GTX Superclocked (621 core, 768 mb vid mem) I use both cores and have no issues since my 8800 was replaced last week. Before the previous 8800 crashed completely, I was getting ctds and bsods regularly, but as it turned out the weak link was the 8800 GTX Superclocked dying. No problems since (knock on wood).

I run an e6600 oc'd to 2.913 Ghz and an 8800 GTX Superclocked (621 core, 768 mb vid mem) I use both cores and have no issues since my 8800 was replaced last week. Before the previous 8800 crashed completely, I was getting ctds and bsods regularly, but as it turned out the weak link was the 8800 GTX Superclocked dying. No problems since (knock on wood).

I've already been through one dying 9600gt AND failing OCZ memory (Couldn't even play PR). I've since replaced both with a 9800GT Palit and 4G of G.Skill low-cas mem. I hope I'm not still having malfunctioning hardware issues.

Yesterday I turned the in-game Shaders down to normal and I turned my Terrain, Textures, and Objects to High. On a coop mission on TacticalGamer with a couple-dozen players, my view-distance at 4100 offered no performance lag, and no crashes.

As far as bottlenecks, I agree that the C2D may be my biggest, but a quad-core will be limited by the remainder of my setup, specifically the 9800GT (8800 in disguise) AND my 19' CRT dell monitor. I can't run a resolution over 12xx by 10xx.

If I get a new monitor and new video card (both extremely unlikely), then the quad-core upgrade may be legitimate. Is that logic sound, oh sages of computer-buildingdom?

• 4 months later...
If I get a new monitor and new video card (both extremely unlikely), then the quad-core upgrade may be legitimate. Is that logic sound, oh sages of computer-buildingdom?

Revive!

Finished taxes a couple weeks ago, and shortly I may be able to consider this quad-core business again. What's available via Newegg.ca, best bet for me, is the Q9400

Am I still wasting my time with a 9800GT and VGA-only 22'Samsung? The next build, whenever that happens, won't be based on the LGA775, so it'll be a ground-up ordeal. Unless I can establish good gains, I won't consider another video card for this build since I'd also need to get another PSU. By then, I'll be halfway to another machine. I'd probably get myself in trouble trying to select components that I can flip from one to the next system as well (i7-based). All of this is based on running these blasted powerful games.

Iv had an C2D 6600 at about 3.0ghz and an 8800GTS and never had a problem up until BFBC2.

It gets rather toasty and has completely locked up several times, but iv made a few adjustments and seems to be ok again.

Yes games are getting more demanding :)

Iv had an C2D 6600 at about 3.0ghz and an 8800GTS and never had a problem up until BFBC2.

It gets rather toasty and has completely locked up several times, but iv made a few adjustments and seems to be ok again.

Yes games are getting more demanding :)

What did you do to help along BC2? I'm also having issues, primarily around crashing my Nvidia driver (even the updated one), when I alt-tab to desktop.

What did you do to help along BC2? I'm also having issues, primarily around crashing my Nvidia driver (even the updated one), when I alt-tab to desktop.

Mine will go to a white and/or black alternating screen if I alt-tab too many times. I just restart the game and all is good. I do think I have some type of memory leak though. After a while (around 24 hours) of being on, my system just locks up. CAD doesn't work. I have to hard reboot it, let it sit for a minute and then it's good again. Weird and frustrating.