Spartans Home

Most Realistic Army Sim to Date....

Another video that would be fun to see would be the crazy things that soldiers do when they get bored (or better yet, bored AND inebriated).

When I was stationed in Germany (1989-1991), at Gibbs Kaserne in Weisbaden, my roommates had the brilliant idea

(after the consumption of much alcohol) to jump out of our 3rd floor window to the grounds below. When that proved to be only slightly dangerous--and therefore not very interesting--they decided to try to FORCE other people out the window. Unfortunately for my roommates, the intended victims were sober and distrustful of a group of drunkards trying to get them to "come to the window and look at this!"

Thus was born the even more brilliant idea to get someone to "come and look at what's inside this wall-locker!", at which point the victim was forced into the locker, the locker was secured, and then the locker and it's human cargo were pushed out the window.

Amazingly enough, the only serious injury sustained was a broken arm. Not so amazingly, only two people were subjected to this "adventure" before the MPs came to the scene and put a stop to everything. And since the military encourages teamwork, I was subjected to the punishment for these activities along with my roommates, even though I did not participate.

Good times!

Hey I lived in Butzbach As a Youngen...Dad was at Ayres Kaserne ....The Rock!

Well, seeing as how we're roughly the same age, I would have been a youngn', too, when your dad was there. I'm not familiar with a camp by the name of Ayres, but I've been to Butzbach more then once as it was almost directly on the way from where I was to Giessen, where we did a few exercises on a semi-regular basis. So I may have been to Ayres, but I certainly wouldn't remember that name after all these years. In fact, my general sense of direction over there wasn't very good, but iti didn't matter because I could speak and read enough of the language to get by, all of the Germans spoke English anyhow, and the Strass system took me wherever I wanted to go, including, on a couple of occasions, other countries.

I really loved it over there, and I'd like to go back one of these days now that it's just "Germany" again, as opposed to "East & West" while I was there.