Spartans Home

KalXen's Dom 1.17 Massive AO

KalXen~SPARTA~

Hi Yankee,

Welcome!

Were working on a Pilot Class that will address your questions. Look at my post, right above yours...and click on the word HERE.

It will take you to the thread we started just for that.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few questions from a SPARTA outsider:

1. What is the bias against Osprey's? I take it there has been a bad experience with these? It would be alot of fun to pack up a whole server worth of people in the back and do a HALO drop with a chopper following behind with the MHQ. I understand that if you do not know how to fly one, it's probably going to be crashed...often. But, maybe there is a way to put an actual flying timer on the Osprey? That is, you have to actually spend X amount of time in a chopper before you can fly the osprey. Just some thoughts on that aspect

2. Next, air assets. Can you modify the air assets to only allow machine gun fire and laser guided bombs? I ask this because it seems to be that the "rambo" mentality is highly feared. If you make it so that you have to coordinate with ground troops and only have 2-4 bombs to drop, the time spent flying back and forth to base will def. allow the ground troops ample time to get their share of the action.

Thanks and great job fella's keep it up!

Hey Yankee, welcome bud.

There is no bias against the Osprey. It only offers speed and marginal extra capacity against its clumsy performance in game (I am sure it is more agile in reality). We tried it on our tacdom server and few chose to fly it (we added lift and ammo box loading). So in reality when it is included it is rarely used well. Plus when there is one every new person that joins the server jumps in it "to fly around". When we can lock the aircraft and if we get some training going on I could see it being used more effectively. But these are just my views.

I wouldnt say we fear anything we just want to keep the game balalnced.The LGB Harrier and the F35 are bonus air vehicles from the side mission and now when people on the ground ask for it they can be used.

The game replicates the position of the stars and the moon phases apparently. If we change the date from Jun 11 2008 to June 18 2008 we will have a full moon, will this make life easier for night work and for the NVG's

bloody hell, they have thought of everything!!!

this new domination sounds good - will have to try it out soon

Since we have initiated the 24 hour clock in the Large AO's build, many people are having terrible problems with the NVG's working correctly. Basically, you turn them on and in a 3-5 seconds, they dim so much that they're basically useless. I know you can look up or at a bright light source to "recharge" them however, they dim right back down in a couple of seconds. This really is an issue at night when you're trying to fly a chopper full of Troops into a new LZ and your NVG's go tits-up.

I'm not sure if this post belongs here or in the addon request thread, though it is in response to the NVG issue. I believe fixing it is in adjusting the aperture; that's what a mod I use in singleplayer does. There is a default NVG aperture and you can trigger an action from your menu that by using the "page up"/"page down" keys to manually adjust the aperture. I also like using mod that allows full screen NVG. Both a signed, though the "NVG aperture adjustment" mod requires Community Based Addons (CBA).

Fixed Range NV ("NVG aperture adjustment"):

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6251

Community Based Addons:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6231

Full Screen NV:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6673

All three mods have server keys and are all client side only.

I thought of requesting these in the addon thread before, though there was no need to at the time since the server was mostly played in the daytime setting; I'm just trying to help with the NVG issue because I know how annoying it is for your screen to go dark when ever the slightest light source penetrates your screen. There's also a client side only mod with a server key that adjusts the lighting and fires in the game; my experience has noted a great improvement in using NVGs around lighting.

Night Lighting Effects:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7137

I do know it is possible to script an action in the action menu that changes the aperture, or I think it may be called HDR. This is what another server (Don't judge me; I play what I like <_< ) I enjoy playing on does; the mission is called "TotalDomination" (it at least has those two words in the name) if anyone wants to join that server to download the mission and check out the scripting.

If you want the capabilities of the MV-22 without the hassle, there's some M-53 addons coming out (one of which is usable, and you can freely DL it if you can find it, but not public yet due to a legal snafu) which would be suitable for heavy-lift operations.

I'm hoping for one which has been neatly polished and with a set of guns (miniguns in the door and side hatch, minigun or .50 M2 on the ramp) to be released.

First off, I like the larger AOs. Having the upped-ammo ammo boxes is a major plus to be able to counter the larger amounts of armor inside them.

However, I am a side mission junkie. I don't remember specifics but Yankee (i think it was him) and I were working on a Side Mission the other night and the new AO popped up; fortunately (for us) the SM was right on the edge of the Red Circle but we triggered the "Spotted" ambient and we had a bunch of tanks and infy that we weren't counting on and it became very, um, "sporty."

First off, I like the larger AOs. Having the upped-ammo ammo boxes is a major plus to be able to counter the larger amounts of armor inside them.

However, I am a side mission junkie. I don't remember specifics but Yankee (i think it was him) and I were working on a Side Mission the other night and the new AO popped up; fortunately (for us) the SM was right on the edge of the Red Circle but we triggered the "Spotted" ambient and we had a bunch of tanks and infy that we weren't counting on and it became very, um, "sporty."

That's when you find a safe spot, hunker down and call in some air support. Combine that with a rescue by helo, and you're in business! :) When Murphy's Law rears its ugly head, you have a couple options. You can decide that you are entirely outgunned, and seek an extract until the main force arrives to relieve you, or you can treat it as being behind enemy lines having to take out an important target. Further, you can serve as on-the-ground scouts until the main force moves in and you can continue on your mission. This stuff is what keeps things exciting!

Good games tonight, really enjoyed them, thought there was some good teamwork going on. The Gorka counter attack was handled really well.

Cy, thnks for your support on the Berizino tower and big thanks to some quality helo support from Rooster. Really looking forward to TacDom, tomorrow.

Hi guys!

Huh, seems like it's my first post here...

Anyway, I just wanted to say that even though I played the new Domination for only a few hours, my experience has been mostly very good. The best part is, I believe, the fact that people stick closely together much more often now. That is probably because of the larger AOs which increase the chance of flanking. There is nothing more intense than thinking the area is safe and then, suddenly being under heavy fire from unknown direction.

If I find some time on Friday, I'll definitely try the tactical with you.

Thank you for this server, Sparta :thumbsup:

Hi guys!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that even though I played the new Domination for only a few hours, my experience has been mostly very good. The best part is, I believe, the fact that people stick closely together much more often now. That is probably because of the larger AOs which increase the chance of flanking. There is nothing more intense than thinking the area is safe and then, suddenly being under heavy fire from unknown direction.

Szarkoz, welcome to the forums. If you like our style of play, you'll definitely be welcome on Fridays.

New version of the map, D. Finalizing it and will send to Zeno today.

• Cleaned up all AO's: added 4 new small AO's at 400m radius, 1 large city Novy Sabor at 1400m radius, and rest are normally at 900m radius
    • Added Map Parameter: Only Medics Can Revive if >5 players
    • Added Map Parameter: Hide Radiotower/Camps
    • Added New Map Cycle Parameter: Tactical 5. This is an ordered list of the 5 major cities, never random.
    • Added New Map Cycle Parameter: Novy Sabor - Only 1 1400m radius city for entire game.
    • New dynamic troop/apc/tank increase based on AO size. For every +100 size in radius beyond 400, there is at least 1 more apc/tank/troop team each.
    • D30 Artillery observers have better glasses on.
    • The 3 vehicle service spots around the map will now service helicoptors.

The two new map parameters are for Tactical night use, but sure do make Veteran mode HARD and require teamwork. You must recon the AO and find these things in order to be successful.

Future:

• I am considering to add some more air assets in but need to discuss further on potentially limiting the ammunition. MH6's registration system has greatly decreased the amount of admin work necessary to make the game fun.
    • Continuing work on the ambient AO defense system with triggers such as requirements to take out communication arrays to thwart attacks, sniper teams that focus on medics/team leaders, tank teams or paratroopers that focus attacks on MHQ's if they are too near the AO, etc.

Hi guys!

Thanks for your support, we'll keep on tweaking it. :)

Continuing work on the ambient AO defense system with triggers such as requirements to take out communication arrays to thwart attacks, sniper teams that focus on medics/team leaders, tank teams or paratroopers that focus attacks on MHQ's if they are too near the AO, etc.

Does the game's coordination of AI permit any sort of in-game influence on their tactics, the reverse of this last ongoing objective you note above? The few tactically critical targets are the Radio tower, to disable reinforcements, and the spotters, to disable artillery (but not directfire d30 arty-ow). I wonder about some means to further prioritize targets, such as the death of an AI officer will cause the associated infantry to lose some % cohesion and focus.

In addition, even though the terrain is a little varied in Chernarus, each AO is growing redundant in objectives. The current secondary targets were integrated I think for just this reason, to keep the objectives different, but the targets have no real in-game tactical value. The destruction of a heavy weapons factory doesn't reduce the amount of armor in the next AO, for example (or does it?).

This may or may not be a more complex chore than my first comment, but I feel it is more critical to replayability. Could you take side-mission size objectives (targets or complex objectives bigger than destroying an APC/weapons factory) and have them either influenced by the evolution of battle in an AO, or randomly generated in the AO. A couple examples...

-"Trapped in the AO is one of our local informants. She as critical information about Russian troop movements, we need to rescue her!" Success leads to the location of a tactically-critical side mission (ex. artillery battery), or details about the next AO, or something else useful. The death of the informant reveals nothing.

-"Civilians are locked in the church, we cannot let harm come to them or their refuge." Success leads to some sort of gift, like a full enemy ammo box that would spawn at the end of the battle

-'Intel has intercepted coded transmissions, and our teams are working on it. Until we can break their code, try to secure one of the encoding units. We think the commander of the attack has it in his possession. Find him and search him'

etc, etc, etc.

Or, instead of all that stuff above, you can just take the compliment here: Great work man, it just gets betar and betar, until it'll be the best game mode evar.

Ebden - those are great examples and exactly what I've been wanting to do. The whole idea of 'bonuses' and/or 'consequences' to the AO. Things can that tip the balance of the current engagement, or maybe change what the next AO will be or parameters to it.

- 'Intel has intercepted coded transmissions, and our teams are working on it. Until we can break their code, try to secure one of the encoding units. We think the commander of the attack has it in his possession. Find him and search his base to send fake signal to confuse our enemy'. If you succeed, the next AO will have less armor in patrol as they were sent to the fake coordinates for an allied ambush, but if you destroy the radiotower first, then we can't send the fake signal or get this bonus (consequence).

- 'An enemy convoy of ammunition trucks was spotted heading to Pavlovo. It is believed that the convoy is carrying artillery ammunition for an assault on a northern town. We only have 20 minutes to intercept it before it is outside of our grasp. Destroy it.' If we intercept it, the next town will not have any artillery observers or D30's gunning us down. If we don't, the next town may end up with more powerful artillery.'

- 'A forward observer has spotted the allied force assault into the AO. Take out the radiotower quickly before a counterstike can be requested.'

, etc..

I just felt that while the entire cycle of the AO is cool and will keep you going, it was needing something to vary it a bit. I expect that Xeno felt the same way and hence added camps into 1.17T.

All of this is coded manually but it would be worth it.

Ebden - those are great examples and exactly what I've been wanting to do.

Yes, right, exactly!

I assume through all the reworking that you guys have been doing to domination, that the goal was a single finished product. Y'all must be aware of burnout that comes from working on any one project for too long, and I'd hate to see this game mode (or it's clever human counterparts) become the next victims. As far as creating the dynamic play, any furthering of formality to battlefield development hurts freeplay, but it may also be necessary as a framework for y'all to build into the game. We discussed the same when first locking enemy vehicles from use, and other necessary controls for the pub server.

Ah-another idea to clutter the thread and frustrate Durka (sorry pal). What if, pending a failed intel objective, the location of the next AO is hidden! It would require recon throughout the map, risking the element of suprise (and the associated delay of MI-8's ferrying reinforcements) if recon came too close to the AO. The AO would be revealed only when:

-a recon team 'spots' some critical mass of enemies (via in-game automatic reporting, however that works.)

-a recon team 'spots' the radio tower, camps, or other AO objective

-Blufor is spotted by opfor AI, triggering reinforcements.

Revealing the next AO is problematic - too much code to do this as the same code to manage the current AO would be used to build the next one.. so while it could be possible to mark it, there woudl be nothing there to 'observe' until the AO was actually decalred and things started to spawn on top of you.

Just finished reading 5 pages of thread regarding this Project.

It makes my head spin thinking of what you have put into it, what has been created, and of course the potential.

My admiration and thanks seem small, but I send them anyway. Fecking impressive. Wow.

I am going to make a few minor modifications to this version d and will let you know when done. If you have run into other bugs, please post them here.

1) Bug: Kord/Podnos spawning on top of themselves.

2) Balance issue: Counterstrike numbers were WAY too high tonight.. almost comical when 50 tanks decended upon a small town when 8 of us were playing. May use some level of balancing based on total # of players online at time of counterstrike..

3) Bug: SarMedic tells me that the C130 isn't bringing drop requests even after 5 minutes of waiting. Several M119 requests worked for me fine. This could be due to the 10 ammo box maximum.

Edited by KalXen~SPARTA~

Version E is done, and uploaded for Zeno.

1) Bug: Kord/Podnos spawn clumps are fixed.

2) Balance: Counterstrike's are now a bit variable based on AO size and not nearly as crazy.

3) Cleanup: Russian ammo boxes removed.

4) Cleanup: Triplicate mission.sqm cleaned up

5) Bug: C130J appears to drop assets fine.

6) Added MHQ can now Pop smoke (from MH6's code)

7) Added Towing: Trucks, Mummers, and toing vehicles can now move air/helo assets, along with M119's.

Hey Kalxen, I think the C130 bug is that about 1/4th of the time it will overshoot the Drop zone or fail to release it's cargo, sometimes it will attempt to circle back and try again but unfortunately most of the time it seems to continue flying on forever - this cancels out any attempt to do another drop as I assume the C130 is flying level until it runs out of fuel.

Hey Kalxen, I think the C130 bug is that about 1/4th of the time it will overshoot the Drop zone or fail to release it's cargo, sometimes it will attempt to circle back and try again but unfortunately most of the time it seems to continue flying on forever - this cancels out any attempt to do another drop as I assume the C130 is flying level until it runs out of fuel.

What about increasing the valid release area for SL drops? It seems like wherever the c130/mh60 drops for the sl, it always skips over to exactly on top of the drop marker. Could we take advantage of that quirk and let the c130 drop from w/in 300m radius, or 500?