Spartans Home

KalXen's Dom 1.17 Massive AO

KalXen~SPARTA~

The FARP idea was really to change the service points to more mini-bases. Somewhere you can park the MHQ and have it decently defended (possibly having AI man most of the defenses). Removing the vehicles from them was an odd idea that I don't know why I mentioned it.

But it'd just be there with 4-5 humvees and a MTVR, ammo, and a repair point for vehicles/helis/F35s. No parachute, teleporting maybe.

Edited by AJsarge

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More progress on Big AO 1.17T_c:

1) I have tweaked the Vehicle Supply areas around the map, moved them to better locations based on the Big AO's, added a bit of fortification. 3 instead of 4.

2) C130J now drops the requested items instead of AH60. MUCH faster.

3) New AO: Orlovets

4) Mortar Soliders are back. All for you MH6.

5) Removed a few of the Hummers from base - was a bit much.

6) Ammo boxes cleaned up with Zeno's latest fix for all russian weaponsalong with extra SMAWs, etc.

7) Fixed some spelling errors...

Working on adding a bit more 'ambient' activity to the AO. JackSeven, Scud, and AlarmedBRead got a tiny taste of that tonight.. will continue on it tomorrow.

The original idea behind all the humvees and the mini farp came about when we noticed that the AI are not triggered by land approach. Most helo LZs are investigated by the AI even when they are far back. So I put a lot of humvees at base. But if you go far in a humvee it can run out of ammo and fuel, so I originally thought of including the ammo/repair/fuel trucks in the convoy. But then I thought of a forward staging area, where the vehicles can be rearmed and refuelled. So I added the vehicle service points with some ammo for the soldiers, to save time I thought the players could chopper to the vehicle service point and move forward in Humvees from there.

They are just forward staging areas so that the soldiers and Humvees do not have to RTB to rearm and refuel. I am not keen on full on mini bases. But this is Kals map.

My thoughts:

The "Ambient system" will be great once you get some more work going in to it, but I think that the "Enemy is setting up defensive positions on the ____ Side" messages should be removed. At first , I thought that message would come up once at the beginning, and you'd have to avoid that side or else be cut down.Alas, that wasn't the case. The "sniper" message Wasn't half bad, but I think the ambiance might be better done like so:

"Enemy supply drop on route from the north to main AO! Intercept before they can drop their supplies!-This one would drop an extra tank and some more infantry than a normal drop. This one should be rare.

"An enemy patrol is scouting outside the AO! Watch yourselves!"-This one would throw some UAZs around that would drive outside the AO, scouting for targets. They wouldn't go very far.

"Enemy UAV system spotted in the AO! Blow up the UAV station to prevent them from launching additional UAVs!-This will create a flying Pchela in the AO, that flies around telling the where enemy units need to go. The UAV would respawn after being killed, and continue to respawn until the UAV system is blown to bits.

But this is your domination Kal, and you can do what you want if my ideas don't fit yours.

Edited by ScUD

This isn't my domination. This is OURS. The more ideas on content the better..

As for the ambient - you were seeing just the messages. As I had stated, the triggers were not in effect yet. I was trying to test if the MHQ trigger worked, but we decided to just keep on playing. :P

As for the ambient messages, they will not be as frequent as you saw. But also one angle of my idea on 'intel' is that its not always correct....

Edited by KalXen~SPARTA~

Hey Kal, just wanted to first off give mad props on your modifications. I toyed around in the editor a bit myself and could not get a good grasp on it. Great work.

Anyway, I definitely fall into the "side mission junkie" category. So I definitely appreciated the change from getting a F-35 every time to a larger variety of land vehicles.

Discussing ways to regulate pilots has me interested, though. I played in another server where they had dedicated roles for pilots (like Sparta has for engineers, etc). Its a good idea in theory, but it really ends up being very annoying. On that server people would sit idle in their pilot slot for hours so they wouldn't loose it. So I like Halli's idea about the password, if thats even within the abilities of Arma. I think someone else mentioned there had been a whole other discussion about ways to achieve pilot regulation, but I couldn't find it so I don't know what all else has been suggested. A few ideas I had, though:

1. Some sort of management through the "Team Status".

a. All incoming personnel assigned to one team; Additional teams for Chopper 1, Chopper 2, Chopper 3, Wreck Chopper, Fixed Wing, etc. You have to be in that air asset's "team" to be able to pilot it. Wouldn't completely solve the problem, but could limit random people running up to the first vehicle they see and flying away in it.

b. Having a team slot for a "Mission commander", which can be by default be the admin, admin appointed, voted in, whatever. This slot would be able to govern variable things that are appropriate, perhaps in ways similar to the idea in my next point.

2. Giving the logged in admin a "Personnel Management" dialog. Could be used to allow/restrict abilities to fly, drive, etc. I don't like putting more burden on the admins, but really its not much different than the frantic pleas of people asking them to kick for flying/driving off in .

Thats all I can remember now. I was just thinking about this the other day, but I can't recall now what else I thought up. Like I said, I didn't get much grasp on the editor myself so I don't even know whats possible.

Again, excellent work Kal. If you ever need a beta tester for anything, give me a shout. I'd be glad to help out in anyway I can.

- JHunter

I think C is done for now. FTPing it up for Zeno.

Total list of changes:

1) I have tweaked the Vehicle Supply areas around the map, moved them to better locations based on the Big AO's, added a bit of fortification. 3 instead of 4.

2) C130J now drops the requested items instead of AH60. MUCH faster.

3) New AO: Orlovets

4) Mortar Soliders are back. All for you MH6.

5) Removed a few of the Hummers from base - was a bit much.

6) Ammo boxes cleaned up with Zeno's latest fix for all russian weaponsalong with extra SMAWs, etc.

7) Fixed some spelling errors.

8) FULL ammo boxes placed at each of the vehicle supply locations. Map has now been makred with an "A" where each of these is.

9) Tweaked the main/side mission awards to remove hummers.

10) Tweaked the counterattacks down a bit so we don't end up with the 100 tank assault situation, but still hard.

In the works:

I am holding off on the ambient system until I have it working correctly. This system will include additional activities that the AI will do during an AO. Spawn a convoy of reinforcements to the town, attack the MHQ, set up sniper positions, call in air strikes (Kav's code), etc.

Discussing ways to regulate pilots has me interested, though. I played in another server where they had dedicated roles for pilots (like Sparta has for engineers, etc). Its a good idea in theory, but it really ends up being very annoying. On that server people would sit idle in their pilot slot for hours so they wouldn't loose it. So I like Halli's idea about the password, if thats even within the abilities of Arma. I think someone else mentioned there had been a whole other discussion about ways to achieve pilot regulation, but I couldn't find it so I don't know what all else has been suggested. A few ideas I had, though:

b. Having a team slot for a "Mission commander", which can be by default be the admin, admin appointed, voted in, whatever. This slot would be able to govern variable things that are appropriate, perhaps in ways similar to the idea in my next point.

2. Giving the logged in admin a "Personnel Management" dialog. Could be used to allow/restrict abilities to fly, drive, etc. I don't like putting more burden on the admins, but really its not much different than the frantic pleas of people asking them to kick <whoever> for flying/driving off in <whatever>.

A solution for the pilot-problem could be to delete 4 - 6 classes and add 4-6 pilots. In addition we could lock all aircraft including the MH60s except for the pilot class. And only people on TS can actually choose the pilot-class. I think there are a few MP-Missions like "Hunt for Waldo" who designed it like that.

I also like the idea of a one commander-class who has for example some special abilities.

a) an artillery-strike from distance, which is only available every 30 minutes

B) a Tomahawk strike on mapclick, which is also only available every 30 minutes

look here :D http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5979

c) maybe also an AI airstrike on mapclick, which again is also available every 30 minutes

look here :D http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8077

I just think with these airstrike, artillery and Tomahawk things we could bring some atmosphere into the battle. Can you imagine the faces of our fellow gamers when advancing into the AO and then suddenly from the nothing 4 Harriers appear dropping each of them its full load of 4x6 Bombs into the center of the AO.

Or a Tomahawk which crashes from the sky into a D30 site.

Could be very atmospheric....

I am getting this message after I deploy the mortar and turn on the targeting map

bin\config.bin/rsctitles/rscartymap/taskiconcreated

or something like that

Is this normal

It doesn't seem to affect anything but I'm trying to isolate the issue. The required include files are in the initilization... MH6, do you recall?

Ah - found an article online about this - affecting everyone since the 1.04 patch. Artillery bug

Edited by KalXen~SPARTA~

A solution for the pilot-problem could be to delete 4 - 6 classes and add 4-6 pilots. In addition we could lock all aircraft including the MH60s except for the pilot class. And only people on TS can actually choose the pilot-class. I think there are a few MP-Missions like "Hunt for Waldo" who designed it like that.

Not that I want to debate this here but.....

There aren't that many airplanes on this map to constitute dropping so many classes for this. But to key into one item you mention "And only people on TS can actually choose the pilot-class" - how would that be managed? That is the crux of this whole debate and without some script that ties the Arma server to the TS to actually do the checking, it becomes an administrative headache. Admin's are not always on so a bunch of clases would become unplayable.

MH6 is working on a password solution for the actual airplane doors.

I just think with these airstrike, artillery and Tomahawk things we could bring some atmosphere into the battle. Can you imagine the faces of our fellow gamers when advancing into the AO and then suddenly from the nothing 4 Harriers appear dropping each of them its full load of 4x6 Bombs into the center of the AO.

Or a Tomahawk which crashes from the sky into a D30 site.

Could be very atmospheric....

Would be very cool. Would also shift the game balance, so it would have to used sparingly. We already have artillery officers, so if we did something like this to call in an air-strike from harriers, I'd have it on the team leaders only and limit it to once an hour - and remove their ability to call a drop for an actual M119. Would need to think on it.

Just keep in mind the game balance - its not a movie scene, and if the wow factor takes fun away from everyone else I don't want to add it. One guy with the big red button and everyone sits around playing cards.... no.

Edited by KalXen~SPARTA~

GREAT WORKS GUYS!!

It's getting more realistic and immersive all the time.

I would like to bring up the NVG issue.

Since we have initiated the 24 hour clock in the Large AO's build, many people are having terrible problems with the NVG's working correctly. Basically, you turn them on and in a 3-5 seconds, they dim so much that they're basically useless. I know you can look up or at a bright light source to "recharge" them however, they dim right back down in a couple of seconds. This really is an issue at night when you're trying to fly a chopper full of Troops into a new LZ and your NVG's go tits-up.

If there is not a simple work around, can we please set the clock back to a Day only cycle until there is?

Thanks again for the great work.

Also too on the Pilot issue. If we chose to go forward with a Pilot Class or password, I would suggest creating a simple certification course and test. Answer the questions and perform a set of flight maneuvers in the aircraft with a instructor. When the instructor certifies you, he sends your info to the proper Admin. I would then suggest each pilot be given a "unique" password so that if he bails on us or gives out the PW, we simply delete "it" and him from the list. This would also allow us to control who fly's what aircraft, as some guys do fine in jets and suck in rotor wing. This would keep the administration of the Pilots to a minimum for Admins. It would also provide a "bucket" of certified pilots that can fly. This way we encourage the newbie's and semi-skilled to get better on the "Air Dom" server before practicing on us in real time.

If something like this is of any interest, I could dig out some of the training information I have from my OH58 days and put together a simple course for the Admins to look at and approve.

Things like Spartan Pilot standards:

MUST be on Team Speak "Pilot Channel"

Demonstrate proper radio procedures (proper calls, announcements, etc)

Flying standards (take offs, MHQ procedures, navigations, approach, equipment/wrecks lifts, suppressive fire, target acquisition, FAC, SEAD, DEAD, CAS, etc)

Demonstration of flying capabilities

etc, etc

just a thought and I'd love to help...

Edited by Stang

To those new people. This is a huge area of operations, period. Great fun if you like longer games.

If you get rated like its a normal game, forget it, this is totally new and much better play for longer games. Be prepared for games lasting at least thirty minutes....usually more...and then some.

I love the format, please listen to people that have/are playing it, it will make it better for all.

Thank You.

GREAT WORKS GUYS!!

Since we have initiated the 24 hour clock in the Large AO's build, many people are having terrible problems with the NVG's working correctly. Basically, you turn them on and in a 3-5 seconds, they dim so much that they're basically useless. I know you can look up or at a bright light source to "recharge" them however, they dim right back down in a couple of seconds. This really is an issue at night when you're trying to fly a chopper full of Troops into a new LZ and your NVG's go tits-up.

If there is not a simple work around, can we please set the clock back to a Day only cycle until there is?

Also too on the Pilot issue. If we chose to go forward with a Pilot Class or password, I would suggest creating a simple certification course and test. Answer the questions and perform a set of flight maneuvers in the aircraft with a instructor. When the instructor certifies you, he sends your info to the proper Admin. I would then suggest each pilot be given a "unique" password so that if he bails on us or gives out the PW, we simply delete "it" and him from the list. This would also allow us to control who fly's what aircraft, as some guys do fine in jets and suck in rotor wing. This would keep the administration of the Pilots to a minimum for Admins. It would also provide a "bucket" of certified pilots that can fly. This way we encourage the newbie's and semi-skilled to get better on the "Air Dom" server before practicing on us in real time.

If something like this is of any interest, I could dig out some of the training information I have from my OH58 days and put together a simple course for the Admins to look at and approve.

Flying standards (take offs, MHQ procedures, navigations, approach, equipment/wrecks lifts, suppressive fire, target acquisition, FAC, SEAD, DEAD, CAS, etc)

etc, etc

the nvg is a knowen problem but when you're in town the terrain is pretty luminate so it's not a problem.

practice a few rounds of night combat ,you will see that it much more realistic than day.

GREAT WORKS GUYS!!

etc, etc

[/quote

the nvg is a knowen problem but when you're in town the terrain is pretty luminate so it's not a problem.

practice a few rounds of night combat ,you will see that it much more realistic than day.

Yes, please. Even if the other ideas aren't implemented, please do this.

OK

I'll start putting together a "Spartan Aviation Standards" guide that will include a simple certification program consisting of a academic testing phase, a flying demonstration phase and a radio demonstration phase.

Once its done, (couple of days), I'll make it available for the "powers to be" to review and determine if something like this is useful or not.

I think it will go along way in continuing to show the professionalism of how Sparta runs it's servers and encourages a fun and professional environment, for our use online. If we can get air power working as a asset instead of an annoyance, then us "propeller heads" can compliment the missions "instead of (sometimes) ruining them and in doing so, making more work for the Admins.

Question... Who on the Sparta side should I get the draft "test-guide" to? If its something that gets implemented, then I think it should be kept away from the main community, to keep from "nullifying" the actual testing and certification process.

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions here....just let me know

Yes, please. Even if the other ideas aren't implemented, please do this.
Edited by Stang

OK

I'll start putting together a "Spartan Aviation Standards" guide that will include a simple certification program consisting of a academic testing phase, a flying demonstration phase and a radio demonstration phase.

Once its done, (couple of days), I'll make it available for the "powers to be" to review and determine if something like this is useful or not.

I think it will go along way in continuing to show the professionalism of how Sparta runs it's servers and encourages a fun and professional environment, for our use online. If we can get air power working as a asset instead of an annoyance, then us "propeller heads" can compliment the missions "instead of (sometimes) ruining them and in doing so, making more work for the Admins.

Question... Who on the Sparta side should I get the draft "test-guide" to? If its something that gets implemented, then I think it should be kept away from the main community, to keep from "nullifying" the actual testing and certification process.

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions here....just let me know

Sounds good. Zeno is the guy I go to for anything ArmA2 related (and he does an excellent job might I add), but some of the other admins have server access too I think--and I mean to the actual server box itself, not the ArmA2 ded. server.

As for the radio demonstration phase--since I'm not sure how in-depth you'd be getting--I'd say not to bother with controlled airfield procedures, even though the main ArmA airport has a (unmanned) tower. :)

Also, any further discussion about this should probably go into a separate thread, 'lest we get too off-topic.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

Zeno...

Are you OK with this and me sending it your way for perusal?

If so I'll start a separate thread.

Sounds good. Zeno is the guy I go to for anything ArmA2 related (and he does an excellent job might I add), but some of the other admins have server access too I think--and I mean to the actual server box itself, not the ArmA2 ded. server.

As for the radio demonstration phase--since I'm not sure how in-depth you'd be getting--I'd say not to bother with controlled airfield procedures, even though the main ArmA airport has a (unmanned) tower. :)

Also, any further discussion about this should probably go into a separate thread, 'lest we get too off-topic.

Edited by Stang

Few questions from a SPARTA outsider:

1. What is the bias against Osprey's? I take it there has been a bad experience with these? It would be alot of fun to pack up a whole server worth of people in the back and do a HALO drop with a chopper following behind with the MHQ. I understand that if you do not know how to fly one, it's probably going to be crashed...often. But, maybe there is a way to put an actual flying timer on the Osprey? That is, you have to actually spend X amount of time in a chopper before you can fly the osprey. Just some thoughts on that aspect

2. Next, air assets. Can you modify the air assets to only allow machine gun fire and laser guided bombs? I ask this because it seems to be that the "rambo" mentality is highly feared. If you make it so that you have to coordinate with ground troops and only have 2-4 bombs to drop, the time spent flying back and forth to base will def. allow the ground troops ample time to get their share of the action.

Thanks and great job fella's keep it up!