Spartans Home

KalXen's Dom 1.17 Massive AO

KalXen~SPARTA~

I am toying with Xeno's latest Domination, 1.17T and trying to find a mix of play that will allow for land dom as well as air so that we can all play well together in the same sandbox. We seem to have 4 'groups' of players on the servers (Tactical Land, Air Dom, Side Mission junkies, and Rambo's). What make this mix of individuals on the same server hard is that the AO's are wiped out by a handful of rambo's or air dom guys. Might of found a solution:

Whats new:

1. The AO's are HUGE. 1100 m radius on most compared to original 300m. Those LZ's you are used to are defunct now as they are within the redzone. New battle plans necessary.
  2. There are now only 10 possible AO's, not 24. This is so we don't overlap AO's or get too close to base (Vybor would of been a nightmare). But due to the size of the AO's, some include multiple townships. Stary and Novy Sabor are within the same AO for example.
  3. Side Mission rewards are under review to keep balance.
  4. Higher AI - they flank, they snipe
  5. More AI - @ 3 times the normal to fit the AO. More armor, more sniper teams, etc. Lots more reloading your ammo on this map.
  6. Camps - new to 1.17T, taking AO is more than just blowing the radiotower and maybe a secondary main objecteive, 3 camps are spawned within the AO and must be conquered. But be aware the Russians will retake them.
  7. Z3no's vehicle repair sites, additional land dom vehicles, and ammo boxes.

We have had 2 beta tests of this and so far it has worked well. As the AO circle is so large, flanking enemies are always a concern since we typically attack from one LZ. This map, by having a larger sandbox with more targets, lends itself to allowing multiple attack groups of either land or air.

At the moment, it is playing on my test server, KalXen's Sandbox. I will be making some final tweaks on it tonight and sending to Z3no to post on the US server.

EDIT: Side missions have a static spawn timer of 10 minutes after completion.

Edited by KalXen~SPARTA~

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds fun, can't wait to try it out. Although, I still have a feeling the fighter jocks are going to be the rambo's in this one, flying about on their own killing stuff. I hope they can be used as real close air support as well as against other air assets.

It sounds really cool to have a much larger AO, so that we can have larger planned operations behind enemy lines with more objectives. The red circle is going to be hard to see the map with, but on the other hand our commanders will concentrate on it more. Good work Kal!

EDIT: Is there a way for you to turn the key verification thing off?

I could, but I am at work. :). The server only has keys for VOpsound at moment.

And as we have been playing, due to the sheer size of the AO, it's nice to hve aircraft to give some update where people are. But due to the camps, radiotower, and tons of infantry, land forces are a must. Eventually you have to land or give eyeball support.

You know, I'm really missing mine and Halli's days, as well as yours, of going out and finding random convoys to strike. That hunting aspect of the game was the most fun. Does this map still have random convoys running around the map?

(Not trying to make a wishlist, i know how those can get out of hand.)

Yes, in the script it's called "island defense". Is definatelty on and the AI has small groups whose goal is to attack the main airfield and destroy bonus vehicles. There are a handful of spawn points where ground or air appear. Hence how we have seen 3 MI-24's flying in unison in the past.

As for more convoys, it can be arranged. It's all scripted in there for each side mission type and we can add or replace side missions. I'd also love to add in a side mission for blowing bridges or dams. Just not sure I've ever seen a bridge in anything but Sahrani.

I have not double checked the side mission overlaps with the main AO, but it is possible that we could have some overlap.

My goal right now is to focus on more content, not bigger toys so I'm up for any tweak ideas here.

Edited by KalXen~SPARTA~

We asked briefly while testing yesterday, but I don't think you were sure at the time.

When a new AO becomes the active target and the associated AI, camps, and radiotower are placed in the game, does it follow a certain logic or is it completely random how each is distributed?

I ask because the central defense location and the camps are the logical places to have the greatest # of defences, no matter the size of the AO. I'd hate to see a trend of radiotowers in the middle of fields 900m from the town, camps all stuck within 100m of eachother, or all the infantry clumped well outside of the city.

Yes, there is some concern there and I need to see what I can do to tweak it. I am not as concerned where in the red zone the radiotower or camps are spawned (there is some code to keep them a bit away from each other) but I am reviewing placement of guard troops/armor. Instead of guards randomly being in the AO I will look into how to get them to spawn at or near the targets. Patrols will continue to be randomly placed. And snipers or arty spotters I am going to see if I can get to spawn near the highest points in the AO.

We can throw it up on the server and stress test it.

I would get rid of the Osprey as they just give the admins more work to do.

It will be tough when there are few but it will be challenging

Osprey removed. I also found the arrays that control how often air assets are given vs land and tweaked it to be harder for air assets as reward, but the reward list is not changed.

This is great news Guys

"IF" the air assets are used properly, it brings a whole new dimension and prospective to the operation...not too mention, it looks dam cool seeing a couple of A-10's (flown correctly like A-10's and not X-Wings), roll in on a target, pick up the Laser support and blast something armored. When done right Air Assets become an asset and not an annoyance.

Is there a means to "lock out" unqualified pilots? Either by name or rank or whatever. We typically try to get a good helo guys to taxi us around and that makes it realistic and fun. I know this requires extra work from the Admins monitoring who's in the choppers and why and this work would increase with more Air Asserts however...if there was simple way to control it via rank or in-game privilege or even a dedicated Pilot Group, managed by an admin, it could be a great addition.

I'm all for this and the larger - harder AO's. It makes for more intense team work and a involved environment and gets people actually working together.

If I can help in anyway with testing, I'd love too...just say the word

Great Works Guys...Keep it up!

...and when do we get Block 52 F-16's for SEAD/DEAD work with the South Carolina 169th Tail splashes :P

Edited by Stang

This is great news Guys

"IF" the air assets are used properly, it brings a whole new dimension and prospective to the operation...not too mention, it looks dam cool seeing a couple of A-10's (flown correctly like A-10's and not X-Wings), roll in on a target, pick up the Laser support and blast something armored. When done right Air Assets become an asset and not an annoyance.

Is there a means to "lock out" unqualified pilots? Either by name or rank or whatever. We typically try to get a good helo guys to taxi us around and that makes it realistic and fun. I know this requires extra work from the Admins monitoring who's in the choppers and why and this work would increase with more Air Asserts however...if there was simple way to control it via rank or in-game privilege or even a dedicated Pilot Group, managed by an admin, it could be a great addition.

Stang, I agree in spirit about air support, but it's proven over the past few months to be unmanageable on the public server. Even with the 1/2 hr wait, planes are still wrecked in short order, flown over the AO early, bombs dropped on friendly units, just a fiasco. The tacdom server may use a plane, but its focus is ground tactics, perhaps some armor support every so often.

We posted recently about some other way to control air assets. More elaborate ranking systems are pretty tough to assemble was the response. As it stands now, and I think I speak for most of us, is that offensive air assets will be permitted to extremely limited use only, if at all, in pub. The airdom server is the perfect place to bring a gaggle to coordinate laser work and air attacks, albeit in a less-than-ideal tactical gaming environment (but that's not the point of airdom anyway). Another option are user missions incorporating air and ground work. Lots available, there must be some with coordinated air and ground.

Thanks Guys

Please let us know the name for this new Server when it goes up.

I can't wait to try it out

Woot