Spartans Home

TAC DOM - Setting TS Bindings

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

Hey all, this is an attempt to get anyone/everyone who wants to play in the roles listed below on the same page as it concerns communicating in our TAC DOM server and on Friday Nights. A few minutes going through this now will save you, and everyone else, an hour of time getting things set up properly on Fridays. Please test it out and offer your suggestions on how to make it: 1-More simple 2-Less painful. If it's less painful, but more complicated, then it's not much help.

The keybindings listed below are not perfect by a long shot, it's just what I have mine set up to. Use your own judgement when it comes to this, but it's best to have all these binded somewhere.

Step 1: Here's a graphical diagram of the path of communication as it should work out during tactical operations.

User posted image

Step 2: Here's a graphical diagram of how a good binding system would work in TS to accomplish the above goal. Keep in mind that the only time you need to set yourself to "channel commander" is if you have the need to talk to all other channel commanders at once. This could be useful if you want your squad leaders to be CC's, and not have the whole channel hear your commands, although it's not necessary.

User posted image

Step 3: Go into Settings and hit "Options" down at the bottom

User posted image

Step 4: Go t the "Whisper Lists" menu to the left, and it will look something like the picture below. To add a keybinding, just hit "New List" down at the bottom. A tab at the top, just under "whisper lists" will come up labled as "Whisper List 1." You will want to rename this to whichever channel you want to whisper to. For starters, we'll go with Alpha. So, hit the button next to New List labled "Rename Lists" and name it to "Alpha." press ok. A tab should come up as "Alpha at the top.

User posted image

Step 5: Now, we have to bind a key to that whisper command. Go up to the top where it says "Hotkey" and press the button. A grey box should come up telling you to push whichever button you want to bind. For Alpha, I'm going to use the F1 key, so I simply press F1 and it's binded.

User posted image

Step 6: Once this is done, we have to tell it which channel to go to. Really easy, just simply drag and drop the channel into the window below the "Alpha" tab, and you're set.

User posted image

Step 7: Below is what I have setup, and what it should look like if you follow the above steps. Keep in mind that these are just examples, and you will have to use your own judgement on assigning keys. As it is now, when in game, I have to press Backspace after every communication, but it still works best for me.

IPB Image

The current structure we are looking for is:

Mission Commander: Speaks to Team Leaders + 2IC

2IC: Speaks to JIP'rs + Mission Commander + Pilots, coordinates between them. Texts Alpha-Delta when placing JIP'rs

Alpha-Delta: Speaks directly to Mission Commander, speaks to each other via TS Chan Commander if desired.

Currently, we are keeping the 2IC and MC (Mission Commander) inside the same channel, so only one key should be binded to that.

You are one bored SOB. The problem is getting people set up in between cities which slows the game down and detracts from the overall event. Maybe a list of approved commanders for the evening before the game actually begins. This way they are all familiar and have this RTG. (Still take volunteers from the regulars, but before the game begins and stick with them for the night. If someone else wants to give it a go, then all they need to do is ask.)

Great work with the pictures and the diagram!

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

The problem is getting people set up in between cities which slows the game down and detracts from the overall event.

I PM'd durka about this without realising that there was a thread.

One option is that we set up all the keybindings and export them to a Teamspeak .kbn file which is available in a link in TS.

Prospective commanders would only have to download the file, assign their own keys, or keep the recommended one, and they should be good to go.

They would have to export their own keybindngs first, as importing over writes your own whispers etc. I don't think their is a way to merge the bindings.

I PM'd durka about this without realising that there was a thread.

One option is that we set up all the keybindings and export them to a Teamspeak .kbn file which is available in a link in TS.

Prospective commanders would only have to download the file, assign their own keys, or keep the recommended one, and they should be good to go.

They would have to export their own keybindngs first, as importing over writes your own whispers etc. I don't think their is a way to merge the bindings.

There are lots of good ideas on the communications front, and I decided to not add to the previous thread that was ongoing as it was becoming 70 different views, none wrong and we weren't going to get anywhere! Now that we have a personage with some gravitas, (that's you Durka) providing a thought through process I would like to to try this, and tweak it as necessary to see whether it can move us forward.

I know that there are some advocates of the use of ingame voice, but I found this difficult to work with as you ended up with sounds coming from two sources, with transmissions cutting across. Sticking with a simplex system is far safer than two simplex systems. You just end up needlessly having to repeat and that wastes airtime (just my opinion)

Secondly I would like to throw in another possible key consideration. Do we need an 'All Stations' key for the commander to utilise for this stirring speeches, or more probably for the go-commands to all teams or just to advise that an evac zone has been setup.

Lastly, if we can get 'key-setups' scripted is it better for the squad leader to whisper to both the commander and the own team? This means that his team don't go from hearing the squad leader in 90% of traffic, to suddenly hearing the commander and not hearing the squad leader responses.....

or have I mis-understood....

again....

.......I'll get me coat

You are one bored SOB.

lol, I would like to think I'm Motivated, Dedicated, and down-right....yeah I'm bored

The problem is getting people set up in between cities which slows the game down and detracts from the overall event.

That's the reason for this thread, so people who want to play any of these positions (command, TL, 2IC, Pilot) will have it ready to go.

Now that we have a personage with some gravitas, (that's you Durka)

LMAO! The only gravitas I have is currently residing in my belly

Lastly, if we can get 'key-setups' scripted is it better for the squad leader to whisper to both the commander and the own team? This means that his team don't go from hearing the squad leader in 90% of traffic, to suddenly hearing the commander and not hearing the squad leader responses.....

That is a good suggestion, and could work by having the team leaders bind their F5 key to speak to Mission Command and their squad.

I agree with T1 on this element. I played in several MP A2 and PR tournaments with a group that had sorted a successful approach to keybinds (their discussion on how to use TS is remarkably similar to the coms discussions on this forum). They provided a cheat-sheet (similar to D2s), and a downloadable .kbn file to ensure consistency with com practice for all players. The catch that made it work, one file for download, is that the .kbn included all keybinds that either a squad member or commander might need, you just had to press the right button (without chancom some of the keybinds didn't work, saving squad members from any mis-press comms).

On a related note, when we went through my hurried reassignment of keybinds for commanding last round, I found, when looking at the TS window and using whisper, the numpad buttons produced an irascible beeping that only I could hear (I didn't hear the same beeping when in A2 and using the binds). To get the assault moving the other day I didn't complain, but meant to ask how to avoid it next time.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

FYI:

I've set my bindings I LOVE tac night and wish it were more than once a week.

I really appreciate all you guys are doing - especially the pilot certification. I'm honing my skills now! Looking forward to training events. If there is a mailing list, I want to be on it!

-Maestro

See you on the servers!

FYI:

I've set my bindings I LOVE tac night and wish it were more than once a week.

I really appreciate all you guys are doing - especially the pilot certification. I'm honing my skills now! Looking forward to training events. If there is a mailing list, I want to be on it!

-Maestro

See you on the servers!

It is more than once a week it's allways up just waiting for you to join just it's not so formal rofl

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...