Spartans Home

Teamspeak Comm "Chatter"

KalXen~SPARTA~

We had a terrible time tonight with Teamspeak communication and it brought much frustration to Durka and the rest of us when trying to organize and command. So be advised of a few simple tips on TS etiquette:

1) Silence is Golden - we all get frustrated when shot, or when someone steps into our line of fire, but if you have nothing to actually say that's pertinent to the moment, please keep comms quiet, especially when we are in midst of an assault.

2) DO NOT USE VOICE ACTIVATED CHAT. Bind a key, chat when needed. We don't want to talk to your mom or wife or kids, and if that football game in the background was that damn exciting to share I'd be at your house watching it with you drinking your beer and not on TS in the first place.

3) Use the separate comm channels if you can. If you are doing side mission with a few others, jump to that channel or ask someone to move you to it. If you and a buddy are running around in a tank halfway across the map from everyone else, jump into the vehicle channel.

4) Let commanders have the comms. We rely on our regulars to help keep all the new players up to date on server rules and etiquette. We appreciate it and encourage people to help each other as much as possible. But if someone is trying to command, let them have the comms and take the discussion to a side channel in Teamspeak or utilize the chat system for quick question/answers.

5) Brevity - Keep it short and sweet. "Less is more".

Good post. One more thing to add,

It really helps everyone out if you state your name before you speak. Follow our examples, and you can't go wrong. With the influx of new regulars in the server, mixed with my terrible memory, it's pretty confusing trying to learn voices. Plus, a simple

"LeRy_Jkns, this is Durka....."

"GO ahead Durka..."

Will go a long way in cutting down chatter, because that way most know to hold comms and wait for that conversation to end.

And just to restate, we DO NOT mind at all for regular chatter on comms, we just have plenty of other channels where it can happen and not disrupt the game. "Do unto others...."

-d

I must try to say my name first, I'm so used to playing with the same guys for two years that I forget not many will recognise my voice especially when there is 20+ in channel.

Good post KalXen

I Have dual monitors. The right window has Teamspeak up so I can see who is speaking in the channel and who is in the other channels. That's why you will find me quickly answering the questions of "is so-and-so on Teamspeak?". And it sound like Teamspeak overlay won't be supported for Vista or Windows 7.. Too bad.

I was calling Punisher "Gunny" last week. I did it for about a half hour and then someone finally said something. My sincere apologies. There are however far worse things than to be called GySgt! :lol:

lol +Medic+ ahhaha So True ..good Post I like..some ppl ar confused on how to say my name Gunny for

short..GySgt=GunnySargent for LOng. just dont call me gaysargent or guysargent

• 1 year later...

... And it sound like Teamspeak overlay won't be supported for Vista or Windows 7.. Too bad.

What TS overlay are you referring to? So far i have tested TINT and Playclaw, both work with win7 x64.

Excellent post. I agree with the comment that the very basic rule of "Hey you, this is me" in itself would reduce a lot of chaos. It really should be the opening statement of ANY comms use.

Example:

Hajimoto <Durka this Hajimoto, over>

Durka <Hajimoto this is Durka, go ahead>

Hajimoto <Bearing 130 degrees, approximately 300 meters, 4 tangos crossing street from left to right, over>

Durka <Hajimoto, that is Custard, Zeno, Dai-San and Andrewman, it seems to be a common misidentification lately, over>

Hajimoto <copy that, out>

thumbsup_anim.gif

Edited by Hajimoto

• 4 months later...

We are all mature people,some of us like certain people more than others and that isnt a bad thing :) im asking you guys to try and tone down the chatter on ts when it concerns politics,religion,race and difference's between nations and comparable.....as interesting as it is to discuss such subjects it might end up in people saying the wrong things and going over the edge.

Also please try not to provoke people into such discussions as it may lead to outbursts that will get one or more people in alot of trouble.

Lets keep the chatter fun and friendly in between AO's and "on topic" when we are in AO's.

Thats why i use in game CHAT ..

the good thing about it is (if you don't want to read it)

its personal (adres somebody)

and if you don't answer (you don't wanne be bothered)

it ENDS (no disturbence (in the force..))

Sometimes u want to get a message a cross but you can't cause off chatter nobody likes this ..

mind_over_chatter_lg.jpg

i like you guys :cheers:

Edited by EBE

We are all mature people,some of us like certain people more than others and that isnt a bad thing smile.gif im asking you guys to try and tone down the chatter on ts when it concerns politics,religion,race and difference's between nations and comparable.....as interesting as it is to discuss such subjects it might end up in people saying the wrong things and going over the edge.

Also please try not to provoke people into such discussions as it may lead to outbursts that will get one or more people in alot of trouble.

Lets keep the chatter fun and friendly in between AO's and "on topic" when we are in AO's.

If there are any Questions to the above post remember SPARTA's Rule Number One.... http://www.legionofs...t=0

SPARTA reserves the right to Perm Ban any person whom Uses racial or religious intolerance on our forums or TS and that any such abuse would incur sanctions up to and including a permanent ban from all of our services

SPARTA SENATE

If there are any Questions to the above post remember SPARTA's Rule Number One.... http://www.legionofs...t=0

SPARTA reserves the right to Perm Ban any person whom Uses racial or religious intolerance on our forums or TS and that any such abuse would incur sanctions up to and including a permanent ban from all of our services

SPARTA SENATE

Luckly Halli we have not seen any of that in TS.

So the subjects of politics, national interactions, religion, or national problems are off limits because they may offend someone and cause problems is that pretty much the point being made? That and we can only talk about the current game "exclusively" while playing arma 2, or another game, due to the possibility that others may not want to talk about another subject.

Im only asking what i asked,and i think i formulated it in fairly respectable English knowing im not a native English speaking person,im not an authority of any kind.....do with my request as you please.

Guys, come on. We're all grown adults here. You all know how to act and when. It's as simple as that. We shouldn't have to break down every scenario of when and what is acceptable.

If you're in the Arma TS channel while people are trying to communicate stuff happening in game, its not time to socialize.

Respect each other. Respect how others want to play the game. We have 40+ TS channels. There's room for everyone.

- JHunter

Kinda thought this was already happening. However if issues arise you should speak to the individual causing them and deal with it on a case by case basis, not bring up a post that is months old that basically threatens everyone who doesn't comply with a kick or ban. Just saying agressive wording can have very negitive effects.

Kinda thought this was already happening. However if issues arise you should speak to the individual causing them and deal with it on a case by case basis, not bring up a post that is months old that basically threatens everyone who doesn't comply with a kick or ban. Just saying agressive wording can have very negitive effects.

It has not been happening already,we as community should have pulled on the break handle weeks ago....and now here we are where the main channel is used as a private vehicle-channel,people are being drowned on comms with information that does not apply to anyone else on the channel. There is no coordination between people on the ground and in the air resulting in 2 or 3 jets and a cobra\apache wiping out entire ao's and the occasional tk.

The flooding of the ts channel really has to stop.

Provoking people into discussions about politics and such only to drown others in the channel and hoping a person goes over the edge has got to stop.

Ridiculing people that are not your "friends" in jest knowing that person will not take it as a joke,and shooting down that person in a friendly chopper is imo going too far.

I was not under the impression that the age of these rules are of any importance,i think they still stand and i bumped them up as a reminder; if they do not than i'd like to know.

Again,i'm only requesting atleast some basic rulings on ts to prevent people getting themselves into trouble.....hell i often laugh my ass off and enjoy playing here so im not asking for some sort of clinical soulless gameplay........just be fair to each other even if you dont like that person.

Oh well,there's a Dutch saying that translates to "who ever fits the shoe will wear it".

Cant you guys learn Dutch so i can express myself better?! :thumbsup_anim:

It has not been happening already,we as community should have pulled on the break handle weeks ago....and now here we are where the main channel is used as a private vehicle-channel,people are being drowned on comms with information that does not apply to anyone else on the channel. There is no coordination between people on the ground and in the air resulting in 2 or 3 jets and a cobra\apache wiping out entire ao's and the occasional tk.

The flooding of the ts channel really has to stop.

Provoking people into discussions about politics and such only to drown others in the channel and hoping a person goes over the edge has got to stop.

Ridiculing people that are not your "friends" in jest knowing that person will not take it as a joke,and shooting down that person in a friendly chopper is imo going too far.

I was not under the impression that the age of these rules are of any importance,i think they still stand and i bumped them up as a reminder; if they do not than i'd like to know.

Again,i'm only requesting atleast some basic rulings on ts to prevent people getting themselves into trouble.....hell i often laugh my ass off and enjoy playing here so im not asking for some sort of clinical soulless gameplay........just be fair to each other even if you dont like that person.

Oh well,there's a Dutch saying that translates to "who ever fits the shoe will wear it".

Cant you guys learn Dutch so i can express myself better?! :thumbsup_anim:

I would respond to this, and I had it typed out, but I will let it die before it goes any further.