Spartans Home

No dedicated server??

PANiC

just trying to catch up on DR news and i'm reading a lot of ppl cancelling orders because of no dedi server being shipped with the game.

i'm guessing a dedi .exe will be available sometime soon? anyone know?

the p2p mutiplayer sounds like it would be a problem.

What people dont realize is that with games these days (ArmA, Far Cry, even Crysis) the ability for a player to host the game has become more stable and reliable. Of course I do not agree with releasing a game that honestly isn't complete without this function, it would be like selling a car that didnt have but three of four wheels. Yeah it will run for a bit, but to really get it going you need that fourth wheel.

I think, and this is merely conjecture, that developers purposely retain the dedicated server files in an attempt to make everyone play the single player and tutorials if there are any. It makes sense. They work very hard and most people jump straight into MP games if able.

...i'm reading a lot of ppl cancelling orders because of no dedi server being shipped with the game.

the p2p mutiplayer sounds like it would be a problem.

Based upon some previews I've read about the game--and in regards to multiplayer specifically--it sounds as if the game wasn't designed with dedicated server functionality in mind.

I can only guess for the time being that the console and PC versions will be nearly identical when it comes to features (mouse/keyboard being the major exception), and if that holds true, well, the console versions only support 4-player co-op and 4v4 multiplayer games. Anyone with a decent upstream speed should be able to host a game. Heck, I only average a 4mbps upstream (it's supposed to be 8), and yet that has been more than sufficient for me to host practice games of Battlefield 2142 with 16 people (they all had a ping around 90).

Of course, I understand your concerns. There are still major advantages to having a dedicated server, and if no official version is ever released, you just know someone will find a way to make one work using installed games files.