Spartans Home

OFP2 on Steam

Despite the fact that Steam is not advertising or promoting the game, OFP2 will be available on Steam at 12:00pm MST. I don't know if they're adjusting this release time so that it's available at noon for everyone, but at least at some point today (Oct 6th) you'll be able to download it from them.

The caveat? Well, I've checked around, and two of my local retailers that will be carrying the game have the retail price listed at $39.99 USD. Steam, for whatever reason, will be charging $10 more. So it looks like you can save yourself 20% just by waiting an extra day or two while the game ships to retail outlets.

I'm not sure why Steam is handling the release this way. I just searched for the game on Steam on Oct 5th, and the only things that came up were the Arma games. Perhaps it was a last-minute deal with the publisher? It's not even listed under the "New Releases" section; you have to use the Search tool to access it. I'll check the price when it becomes officially available, and if it's still an extra $10, I'll just wait it out. In this economy, a 20% discount is worth a 24-to-48 hour delay.

Either way, I'll be getting the game, and I'm pretty sure I'll do a review of it if I can get my hands on it by tomorrow evening.

Wow, Steam is getting crazy on us now.

So, at the T-minus 1 hour-to-availability moment on Steam, everything was still looking good for those itching to get the game ASAP. I came back inside after doing a bit of yard work and refreshed the page; now the game won't be available until tomorrow, Oct 7th, and it's STILL listed at $49.99. So unless Steam is your only option for getting this game, wait until retail.

(This is a response to the above post) -- Fatal_Papercut

I find it disturbing to see a forum moderator advocating piracy, particularly since the forum rules explicitly prohibit such posts.

In any event, even assuming that the above hack works, it seems unlikely that it would work for long. Undoubtedly, some of the updates to the Steam client are made to address such issues, even if the Update News makes no mention of such changes. An associate of mine told me that he had been running an illegal copy of Audiosurf through Steam, but it only worked for 3 days before Steam sent him some sort of notification and killed the game; that was the only action taken, and his Steam account and his other games still work.

Please tell me that this is the exception rather than the norm around here.

The forums are on fire over there for PC users. This one jumped out at me:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/sho...ad.php?t=383840

ARMA 2 Still shows static bushes and shrubbery at all distances and settings - it seems like - in OFP2 it is an option. Im sure trees don't disappear, but bushes seem to be a bit much.

Again, the difference is that in ARMA 2 the "grass" setting is just grass and midsized weeds. The Bushes in ARMA 2 are rendered separately, providing concealment against AI. It appears this is not the case in OFP2.

The forums are on fire over there [Codemasters forums] for PC users.

And unfortunately, most of the "fire" is from the flame war that practically every post devolves into. Based upon the "quality" of posted content, one would be led to believe that every 12-year-old Halo fanboy has migrated to OFP2 and the Codemasters Forums.

However, the best "bad post" that I've read so far is on the Steam forums. You can see it here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...ad.php?t=982648

Follow the thread and read the next couple of replies from the original poster; I swear, we're all going to see this guy in the news today or tomorrow because I'm pretty sure he's going to go postal and kill his entire family and a few other people, and all because of how the launch of the game was handled on Steam.

This same guy, Serph, also started a couple of additional threads because the Steam moderators locked the first one. My favorite part is how he describes his utter despair that a delayed launch caused, and all because he took a vacation day so that he could play the game all day. I mean, it gets to the point where you have to wonder if he's just making everything up. Unfortunately, since I know someone like that (a friend who threw his new 24" monitor through a his 2nd story window when he died in Prototype), it's probably all too real.

Edited by Fatal_Papercut