Spartans Home

Purchasing a shotgun soon, any advice?

One of the most important things is, find out if calif has a self protection law in affect. Some states don't have that law. Florida where I live diden't untill a couple of years ago. With out the self protection law, if a intruder breaks into you home late at night, you just can't shoot him unless he threatens you, You have to prove the use of deadly force to protect your self and your famliy, you can only hold him at gun point untill the cops arrive. Now if he attemts to injure you with any kind of object, then its justifyed and BOOM! Now they have changed the law, and in my state, if a robber breaks in my home i can shoot him dead, and that goes to the old dragg him back in if he makes it back outside before he crokes. You need to check the law. As far as the reprocusions of the poor dead robber. Well if he wasen't breaking and entering he would still be alive, and if being a law abideing citizen wouldent be dead. If hes doing that crap then he needs to 6 foot under anyway. More room for us on the planet.

I have a 5 camra video security system installed with motion detection recording in the 5 zones with night vision camras that records on hard drives, with a monitor next to my bed. If any motion occures in any of the zones the monitor lights up with a beep to aleart me. I also have a hard wire/wireless alarm system as well. I just push the police botton and they are on the way. If I feel that I need to be involved I grabb my .45 and night vision gogles and go get them. If something goes on at my place the lights go off, and the fun begins. I have pepper,tear,stunn stuff to stay amused on the poor robber untill the cops arrive.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 5 camra video securtiy system installed with motion detection recording in the 5 zones with night vision camras that records on hard drives, with a monitor next to my bed. If any motion occures in any of the zones the monitor lights up with a beep to aleart me. I also have a hard wire/wireless alarm system as well. I just push the police botton and they are on the way. If I feel that I need to be involved I grabb my .45 and night vision gogles and go get them. If something goes on at my place the lights go off, and the fun begins.

Jezus, where do you live, a war zone? Miami?

No, a small town out side of daytona beach. I had break ins and been cleaned out in the past. It was so upsetting to me that I decided thats not going to happen very easy anymore. I had to pay to get all the good stuff I have, so im going to make them pay for trying to steal the good stuff I have and worked hard for years to get. Whats the old saying, "There just dieing to steal my stuff".

My budget is limiting my options. This rules out most handguns, which I don't think I would want right now anyways. The gun laws in LA are more severe for handgun ownership. From what I understand, purchasing a Shotgun won't require anything more than a background check. I am finishing up a graduate program but I don't believe that will be a hinderance - I've heard only if you live in student housing will you be denied.

EDIT: This is my first purchase of a firearm, so my questions are more about the process. Anything I should be aware of or know in advance, other than what I can read online about the laws? I am not new to shooting, firearm safety, or the difference between munitions and gauge size.

Thanks,

Phisher

If your budget is limited then hold off and save until it is not. The last thing you want is a cheap fire arm (CZ, HI-Point, Bursa etc.) if it ever does come down to actually having to use it. If you shop around at a reputable firearms dealer, you can buy a used, but well maintained Glock, Springfield, etc, for a couple hundred dollars and you can have them check the weapon before you buy it, in some cases you can fire it if they have an indoor range.

Also what experience do you have with firearms? Don't take offence, but a few weekends hunting or plinking on occasion, does not equate to knowing firearm safety, or being familiar with firearms.

I would strongly recommend checking out a firearms safety course. Just about every Firearms store or range either has classes or can steer you in the right direction. Also the NRA website has links that can guide you to an instructor.

Training is paramount, there will be nothing in your home that can kill you or your loved ones faster then a firearm, be that a shotgun or pistol. You will also have to decide where will you keep your firearm? Having a shotgun leaning against the bed or a handgun under your mattress is not the answer. There are all kinds of handy gadgets that will let you safely store your weapon while still be able to access it in an emergency.

I appreciate the advice guys. I thing getting a folding stock and a top rail will be best.

Right now, I live in a fairly nice but smaller apartment complex, 6 units, shared courtyard. A handgun being discharged inside will likely go through the walls into the next unit. I think getting buckshot is just the smartest idea, hard to miss, doesn't have the penetration of a .45.

It's funny about the CA gun laws - I've never had an inherent fear or fascination with firearms. I was raised by moderate parents who viewed firearms as a tool rather than a weapon to commit crimes. Which seems to be how many out here think. I don't bash on these views, but I've had to curtail some of my opinions on the matter on more than one occasion.

The shotgun to me seems like a no-brainer. It's simple, reliable, and is really only effective when you absolutely need it.

EDIT: Just saw your post Durka, that was my first thought as well - I don't mind what it does to the drywall, if I need penetration I will keep a few slugs on standby.

Well I'll keep you guys updated on the process.

Thanks

I'd stay away from a folding stock. If you are planning on or envisioning shoot at someone from the hip you are wrong as hell. You are better off getting a 20" Police choke, or other tightly choked barrel and actually aiming at what you are shooting at.

A 12guage 00 round even non-magnum, will cleanly go through an aluminum sided external wall with lap board and plaster interior and still kill the person inside, it will go through several walls worth of 3/4 drywall and still be deadly. A shotgun is inherently more dangerous then a handgun, it is more powerful and if you are using shot, has multiple projectiles that do not follow a straight line. That says nothing about the dispersal of the shot, even if you hit what you are shooting at. You always have the possibility of a stray shot missing the intended target and killing or seriously wounding some passerby.

If you do go the shotgun route, a rail system and holo dot or other type of point and shoot system is ok, but really just covers up a lack of training. You need to be proficient in the weapon first, because fate dictates that that Eotech or Aimpoint will not function when you need it. I love my trijicon, and my Eotech, but I know I can take both off and snap shoot a man sized target at 75 yards and hit center mass.

Law wise, your best bet is to either just Google the California gun/ self protection laws and/or call your local Sheriff?s office or Police station and ask them. The last year I was a Police Officer I used to teach a public firearms safety course, and some municipalities have these as an option, or at the very least steer you in the right direction. I can not speak for California LEO?s but typically LEO?s would rather give you correct firearm information then have some Darwin award candidate running around. There is of course the NRA website, whether you like them or not they do have great info.

As far as actually having to use that weapon against another human being, there is not a training course, or speech that will prepare you for that. You can go out and buy some cool looking folding stock with a Aimpoint, surefire flashlight, pistol grip and a freaking bayonet, it will not take someone?s life any faster or slower then a snubnose .38 special and it sure as hell will not prepare you to make the decision to pull the trigger.

I could on for days on what kind of pistol to buy, the best answer is to check you local area for a pistol range that has rental firearms. Go and fire a few. A 1911 may sound cool but you may not like how it shoots before you shoot it, it may not fit in your hand or the dovetail pinches you hand etc. You may like the look and feel of a Glock but are not comfortable with the fact it has no external safety, etc.

Personally I would go with anything 9mm and up, .40, .45 etc. A 9mm with the correct ammunition can be as deadly if not more then either a .40 or a .45. A 9mm and a .40 also are much easier to get a female to shoot (generalization, my wife is small framed and a European, but is comfortable shooting either, some may gladly snatch up a .50). I recommend Glock, Springfield Armory or Kimber.

Wow this got long, sorry.

Thanks for the advice guys, seems this thread is making a resurgence.

None of my firearm experience comes from hunting. All of it is classroom and field course training. I go to the range, but I wouldn't consider that training - just practice. In total, I've spent about 2 years of practical time learning to properly use an assortment of firearms indoors and out, as well as a variety of exercises including starting a course with a disassembled weapon.

My knowledge of firearms is the result of family and friends who mostly live in Montana, where the only gun law is that you own one. In Nebraska we kept a firearm for home safety but never anything more. All of this being said, I'm by no means proclaiming to know more than your average enthusiast. I understand the ramifications and slew of dangers that come about by owning a firearm - and have thought about them for some time.

My reasons for wanting to purchase a shotgun over a handgun is not purely budget related. I do know that handgun ownership in Los Angeles is a whole different ball game when compared to a shotgun. The shotgun I mentioned didn't have a stock, so when I said "Fire-by-the-hip" I meant more that I will not be resting it anywhere near my shoulder (for obvious reasons). I will purchase a stock which negates the whole subject. I've used folding stocks before and haven't noticed much of a difference other than comfort - If I have to shoot more than few times than I have bigger problems to worry about.

I appreciate all the advice.

If you do go the shotgun route, a rail system and holo dot or other type of point and shoot system is ok, but really just covers up a lack of training.

Thanks.

Iron sights also cover up a lack of training as well, when you get down to it.

As I pointed out, it's the going hog wild gun.

Oh I talked to a friend of mine that bought the Hipoint .40 cal pistol, Its made in the usa and the barrel is made one piece to the frame, like the walther ppk and is very accuarate, and feeds well with round nose fmj rounds. He likes it, and says it shoot very well. Just thought ide let you in on that. If you don't want to worrie about the shot going thru your walls, use 7 1/2 bird shot in it, it will chew up the intruder and not go into the house next to you. Or the none leathel bean bag rounds, they are heavy and will knock them down.

The good old rem 870 is a good one like the winchester 1897 is even better.

the spas 12 is semi or pump buy clicking a button in the pump grip.

User posted image

The spas 15

User posted image

The jack hammer

IPB Image

Koren usas 12

User posted image

And speaking of ak47, heres the russian ak scatter gun, this one ia a VEPER12 not a saiga.

User posted image

South africa mag 7 12 ga. I like this one

IPB Image

If you do go the shotgun route, a rail system and holo dot or other type of point and shoot system is ok, but really just covers up a lack of training. You need to be proficient in the weapon first, because fate dictates that that Eotech or Aimpoint will not function when you need it. I love my trijicon, and my Eotech, but I know I can take both off and snap shoot a man sized target at 75 yards and hit center mass.

Thanks.

[removed to make a point]

As I pointed out, it's the going hog wild gun.

You are welcome.

It was not directed at you, but in general, you also took it completely out of context and did not quote the rest of the statement, which of course changed its meaning and intent.

There is nothing wrong with going hog-wild on a gun, hell I have a Streamlight on one of my Glocks which will honestly probably never get used again as it is not my "home defense" gun. It looks great at the range though.

Cheers!

I have to agree with the model 870 mentioned by the others. That is a dead reliable shotgun. I am not sure if it is still in use but the military SF units used to have a thing called the ""... It was a modifiied model 870 fitted under the barrel of a M16 or M4.

pic

Wiki

In anycase I think that 00 buck is overkill. I use bird shot. one blast to the face and the intruder will definatly have a differant outlook on life. I have seen what a shotgun blast will do to a mans face at close range... believe me you will not look at a pepperoni pizza the same after that.

That kinda brings me to the next thing... The taking of life. I will state for the record that I am blessed not to have ever had to do it but I have talked with those that have. They all say the same thing. That it is the worst feeling you will ever have in your life. They also say that nothing prepares you for it.

As far as the legal implications of taking a life.... Personally the ONLY statement that I would make to the police is "I was in fear for my life." but that is my 2 cents... spend how you like.

Never pull a weapon unless you are fully intent on useing it (you hopefully know that) and Lastly.... ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS if you must shoot... shoot to stop - centermass.

Wouldn't it be great if everyone had a gun

Edited by IC-Steel

All that needs to be said, Road blocker 10.ga auto is my little baby with 18 .30cal 00buck pellets or 24 1 buck pellets@1100 fps----in one round------BOOM! One properly placed shot from this thing is known to seperate things into to 2 pieces at the widest place. Police have used these to stop cars in their tracks at, gess what? Road blocks. One round from this thing will take out the windsheild, radatior, headlights,front tires, and open the hood if fired at the right distance on a moveing vehicle. So I had to get one.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Personally the ONLY statement that I would make to the police is "I was in fear for my life."

Not relevant. I'm in fear every time I drive on the highway, or see my in-laws. It doesn't give me the right to kill people. You need objective facts, not subjective emotions, in order to legally justify your actions.

People legally kill people all the time without being in fear.

And a Remington 870 is a fine way of doing that.