Spartans Home

Comms and Tactical Play

T_1

I've been reading with my interest the issues that you guys are having with using TS for tactical play with ArmA, and I've had a thought. Bear with me here, I don't have that many anymore, and the ones I do are usually suspect.

Anyway, there are as I see it, two requirements for communicating tactically.

1. To be able to use a command channel

2. To be able to a squad channel

The first one is quite easy, you use TS. Tried and trusted, familar and faultless (?).

The second one is a bit of a problem when you're using TS to try and do 1 & 2.

Everyone will have experienced the situation, where the "commanders" need to talk to squad commanders, and squad members need to talk to other squad members for conact reports, directions, etc etc. Now the commanders aren't really interested in who needs a mag in Squad A, or that Squad B are moving position, but their formation needs tightening up.

"Squad channels" are essentially used to replicate the ability to talk face to face with some one in your team or nearby.

Solution?

We'll maybe not a solution, but a suggestion anyway.

A few times on the Domination server, I have used the in game Voice over Net comms in Direct Communication mode. This allowed me to speak to players who were beside me, when the TS channel was busy. Granted they would hear the TS chat AND me, but what I wasn't doing was transmitting over TS at the same time as someone else.

What I did I had seperate key binds for TS and VoN comms. When I wanted to speak to someone nearby, I used VoN, when I wanted to talk to Zeno or someone farther away, then I used TS.

The principle could be used on the VoN comms for Direct Comms, Group Channel and vehicle Channel.

Keybinds could be used to mute TS if required (I'm not sure if you can do it with VON) then I would only hear my Group/Vehicle/Buddy (Using Direct Comms), and not tie up TS for the commanders.

The commanders would hear all the TS comms, and the Squad etc comms, so they might have to balance their comms. 2ICs or Commanders promoted in the field (i.e. the first commander is dead) just un-mute TS and they have both.

Anyway, just a thought. Apologies for sticking my noise in where Eejits* fear to tread.

Please dont apologise, we welcome all input on the thorny subject of comms. This is an elegant solution using the 2 technologies, which a couple of players already use to their advantage.

I predict that very shortly an all TS solution will be presented, this will not be my doing, so you can rest assured it will more than likely work.

Thanks for chipping in T1.

This is a format that I have used in the past with other Squads in other games.

User posted image

If anyone needs help setting up TS Whispers or Keybinds then don't hesitate to post here or grab me on TS.

Edited by Dai-San~SPARTA~

Luggage shared a similar idea with me that you and he discussed.

Commander has 1 whisper key per squad (where he can whisper to the squad)

squad leaders have normal PTT to channel and whisper to commander

Squaddies have normal PTT for their squad.

When the commander talk to a squad they know to hold comms so the squad leader can hear

This should reduce the simultaneous cross talk that happens when too many people use whisper (ie they dontknow someone else is talking)

As you have said before Dai the solution is in the whispers.

Luggage shared a similar idea with me that you and he discussed.

Commander has 1 whisper key per squad (where he can whisper to the squad)

squad leaders have normal PTT to channel and whisper to commander

Squaddies have normal PTT for their squad.

When the commander talk to a squad they know to hold comms so the squad leader can hear

This should reduce the simultaneous cross talk that happens when too many people use whisper (ie they dontknow someone else is talking)

As you have said before Dai the solution is in the whispers.

Unfortunately that solution would only work within a Squad or Clan that work together regularly and already have good comms etiquette.

If the Squad leader remains in the same channel as his squad then you will always get cross talk when on a public server with less than perfect comms etiquette.

The only way of enabling the Command element to actually plan and command is to remove the squad chatter totally and have them in a separate channel.

To be honest I think the separate channels was working at least when I used it - as long as the Team Leader says "Clear Comms" when the Commander is communicating then shouldnt be a big issue.

Worked well with me - team just needs to know when to shut up and leader can raise voice if necessary to stop the chatter. If necessary, he says to Commander plz repeast last messg. Then he relays this to team and chat is clear to go again.

I would like to try the solution you and Luggage discussed, if that fails we'll move to your last proposal, if thats ok.

I think we are very close with this, then its just a question of discipline.

The channel commander solution was a fail for me, between squad leaders and commanders I was overloaded. I have set up TS with a commander channel, this way we can whisper to squads, everyone in ArmA II tactical Domination (for when the commander wants to talk to everyone) and to the mission commander.

I would like to try the solution you and Luggage discussed, if that fails we'll move to your last proposal, if thats ok.

I think we are very close with this, then its just a question of discipline.

The channel commander solution was a fail for me, between squad leaders and commanders I was overloaded. I have set up TS with a commander channel, this way we can whisper to squads, everyone in ArmA II tactical Domination (for when the commander wants to talk to everyone) and to the mission commander.

In the AGW tournament, we have keybinds set up for all squads and centcom. It's a little overcomplicated, but similified it may be effective. Again a realism v. game issue, is with multiple radios or channels. A soldier, if he has more than one radio, knows which radio does what, or on one radio an incoming comm is indicated on a particular channel.

With TS keybinds, other than for a few distinct voices (commander, SL), there's no way to know which channel is calling you, so you don't know which one to call back. A2's in-game notification is well-organized with group-specific colors, and text or voice is indicated clearly from one or another channel. Switching channels is a pain with the default settings, but using TS keybinds even further complicates key-assignments.

Has anyone considered Mumble for specific tactical missions? I tried it briefly on Proj.Reality before A2 came out, and I was impressed with the sound quality and transfer rate.

Example:

Scenario:

What about all leaders/SLs/special teams in one TS channel for tactical, Mumble for everyone, and in-game for vehicle (unless Mumble is good enough)? Mumble is voice-activated, so no need for keybinds with a disciplined squad. Mumble would pick up any nearby TS transmits, as any soldier would overhear the guy next to them, but mumble wouldn't relay the response. Remove all the grunts from TS and leave them in Mumble and in-game chat only.

A little complicated at the outset, but overall a simple way to keep things organized?

Now that would be a pretty cool addon. An ingame radio that was linked to TS.

So you could pull up the ingame radio and change the TS channels from in game.

As far as TS and tactical comms go, whispers are hugely important, but even more important is(are) the Channel Commander(s).

The CO and arguably the SL's should be channel commanders. When they are giving commands they should preface with who they are and who they are calling, i.e. "Alpha Sqaud this is Command, SITREP", and they should reply back in turn, "Command this is Alpha Sqaud, in position, setting up MG nest".

Given that it is difficult to distinguish voices, especially for people you do not know, and every is not using a TS overlay or a G15, knowing who is talking is detrimental to good Comms.

Also unless you are Command or the SL you really should only be listening. Unless calling a target "BMP in the open" or reporting a RL issue "Game crashed, door, phone, etc", even then it should be interjected with BREAK BREAK BREAK. That is regardless of what channel you are in. You shouldn?t be chit chatting about whatever game is TV or what you had for dinner, the channel should be open so that the SL can hear the Co and Co can hear his SL's.

Maybe an SOP for TAC-Nights(Server) should be written with a Short scripted "Pre-Mission Brief" with Basic Comms rules that the CO can read so everyone is on the same page, it should be part of the FRAGO/WARNO anyways. Or make it a requirement to take a Leadership position during the tactical mission you have to have your TS setup for whisper and being a Channel Commander. The issue with the latter is that it takes a admin to do so.

This is doable even with a public server. Given that SPARTA's TAC-Nights and Tac Server are passworded invite only this makes it even more so. Just keep the same mentality as with the vehicles and TS. If they want to be an asshat and ramble on about how their day was, or bitch because their wife made them clean the garage, give them a warning or two to keep the Comms clear if they can not comply, boot 'em.

However, it is my experience that the folks who want to take the time to run around a Tactical server, typically have that mindset already.

Sorry I am rambling at this point.

Edited by Whiskey