Spartans Home

Headset recommendations

MH6~SPARTA~

My trusty Logitech headset (cost about $40) is beginning to die on me. The right speaker is no longer functional, and the left side of the headband is split so the left speaker rotates freely (bad). This has made it difficult to understand you guys on teamspeak by the way (some harder than others), so sorry if I ignored or otherwise seemed disinterested towards someone.

So, it's time to replace it!

So far the Logitech G35 is the only one I'm interested in, but if anyone knows of other high-quality headsets for ~$100 (Dolby Surround Sound support preferred, either hardware or software), please let me know. I can really only use USB headsets because onboard audio sucks and I can't shell out the cash for both a nice headset and a nice sound card (~$300 total for quality parts).

Logitech G35

I can definitely see me using those three programmable buttons on the side to speak with individual squads/channels in Teamspeak.

The fact that the G35 is one number away from being one of my favorite weapons helps too. :lol:

Still, if anyone has a particular headset they absolutely love or one they would love to have, let me know about it.

Edited by MH6

I wouldn't touch a USB surround sound headset as the codec used pretty much ubiquitously is crap and many users have had no end of issues with game or VOIP compatability.

Take a look at the medusa series from speedlink...

http://www.speed-link.com/?p=2&cat=183...0640&paus=1

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/medusa51home/

I have the medusa 5.1's they are great.

Watch out for the sub setting though, it actually vibrates the headset, which shit the life outta me the first time an explosion went off. :D

Edited by Dai-San~SPARTA~

MH6 get this one you won't regret it.... oh cept for the cost!

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphon...iser-hd-800.php

:lol: Four digits for a headset? No thanks.

Thanks for the input guys!

I went and bought a G35, and it's damn nice. I love the distant boom of artillery rounds even more now. :D

Edited by MH6

I have this one

http://www.plantronics.com/europe_union/en...ets/gamecom-777

The sound is really good and the quality is a lot better than Medusa...Sorry but broke 2 so far and i think they are a little too cheaply build. Havent seen the new one though so i don´t know if they are any better.

The earcups encloses your ears fully so they are really comfy to wear.

They come for both USB and jack

• 1 month later...

i have to disagree with you forrester about the creative software, i think their software enhaced sounds are horrible. i found the 3d thing just sounds like you are in a very small room, it just added an echo for me. the only good thing i found was that the crystalizer let me hear footsteps easier in cod4 :D

i tried quite hard to tweak the settings but i never found anything that produced any useful difference in the game mode and similarly none of the 'enhancements' improved my film watching or music listening :(

all in all, gaming headsets just dont cut the mustard, it's great having the microphone attached, but buy a good pair of stereo headhones if you want good quality sound :) i can tell where the sound in game is comming from just as well as anyone with a surround headset.

i have to disagree with you forrester about the creative software, i think their software enhaced sounds are horrible. i found the 3d thing just sounds like you are in a very small room, it just added an echo for me. the only good thing i found was that the crystalizer let me hear footsteps easier in cod4 :D

i tried quite hard to tweak the settings but i never found anything that produced any useful difference in the game mode and similarly none of the 'enhancements' improved my film watching or music listening :(

all in all, gaming headsets just dont cut the mustard, it's great having the microphone attached, but buy a good pair of stereo headhones if you want good quality sound :) i can tell where the sound in game is comming from just as well as anyone with a surround headset.

Eh but the sound in COD4 is bolloks, try GRAW/GRAW2 I could pinpoint nades by sound only (due to the nice cracling uniforms off course) but in that game sound is so much better, and I must say I played COD4 with my drivers not installed and I couldn't tell jack from ....

The other erason I'm happy with my soundblaster x-fi is teh recording old LP's so its not just gaming I use it for.

and surround headsets do nothing for my old records....lol :D

I have nothing but praise for the G35's performance.

Only thing I wish they would improve is the functionality of the three macro keys. Unless I missed a memo, you can only use the default macros that are programmed into the driver software. Which has good functions, but I wish I could use them more to my uses and not how the programmers think I should be using those keys.

Arma 2 with VopSound sounds great. Counter-Strike footsteps are spot on. Movies also sound great. I prefer my 2.1 speakers for music, however.

I have no complaints from any of my voice programs about the mic sound quality. (TS, Ventrilo, Arma 2 in-game, Counter-Strike in-game, Skype, and MSN all used)

Extended wear does not cause headache or discomfort around the ears. Slightly ashamed to put this out there, but I've worn them for nearly 10 hours straight (brief breaks for rest room and visits to the kitchen) with no discomfort at all.

They are still relatively new, but I have not heard of any issues with durability. I cannot say I've noticed any "weak" spots in the construction, either.

Any other more specific questions, let me know.

- JHunter

I've just put an order in for my Christmas present.

I nice new shiny set of Roccat Kave surroundsound headphones.

About the same priceas Medusas, but they are supposed to be the beees knees

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/11054667/ROC...cat:Peripherals

or

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?...&tid=frooct