Spartans Home

It's all about me, folks.

Howdy Folks,

I go by Fatal_Papercut (or some minor variation thereof) in every game I play, online or otherwise, so if you've seen that name somewhere before, yeah, I'm sure it was me.

I'm 40-years-old, and I've been gaming ever since I convinced my parents that an Atari VCS (aka 2600) was absolutely critical to my development as a functioning member of society (by this, I mean that the VCS allowed me to spend more time at home playing games and less time at seedy arcades blowing my lunch money.) I eventually graduated to an Atari 800 computer (with the Indus GT floppy drive, no less), and by the time I was able to get my hands on an Apple ][e (HS freshman year), it was obvious to everyone that computers and gaming were going to be an important part of my life. This fact was probably most obvious to the girl that I'd bugged for three weeks to go out with me--after I stood her up to go to what was essentially a precursor to LAN parties (a bunch of my buddies and I gathering in one location to play games on our Atari 800 computers all night long).

I'm particularly attached to my collection of games--original packaging included in most cases--that dates back to the Atari days. I somehow managed to store the boxes in the most out-of-the-way places so that my mom wouldn't throw them away until I got my own place. I'm especially fond of my collection of Infocom text adventures, because the packaging for most of those games was half the fun of having them. I'm sure there a quite a few of you reading this that are nodding your heads in agreement without my need to describe anything further.

My eventual goal is to travel backwards in time with my current computer system (a fairly high-end rig hooked up to a 42-inch 1080p LCD) and completely blow the minds of everyone at the Atari Users Group meetings I attended (circa 1983) by demonstrating Arma2, Crysis, World In Conflict, and a few other games, before disappearing like a mysterious stranger, never to be seen or heard from again. The plan then is to take my machine to Intel and sell it to them for a billion dollars so that they can reverse-engineer it. So everybody wins: I'll be a billionaire, and by the time we get to 2009 in this new alternate time-line, computer technology will be sufficiently advanced so that the Arma2 of today would be comparable to the games I played on my Atari VCS thirty years ago. As an added bonus, my CPU is made by AMD, so I'll be playing a good joke on Intel without them even knowing it.

However, until my Flux Capacitor arrives (I knew I should have ordered it from NewEgg!), I figured it would be fun to hang out here and terrorize the virtual citizens of Chernarus with the rest of y'all. Please be patient with me until I finish building my new system; it will be done by Friday, and my Steam Games should all be reinstalled by the week's end.

In addition to my enthusiasm for the game, I also bring what I consider to be decent video-editing skills to the table. Since the addition of HD content to YouTube, I've deleted my old low-def videos and started fresh, but I do have a few new ones available for viewing at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dcalpha007

Looking forward to working with you on the virtual battlefield...

I reserve the right to read your major post after a good nights sleep (0230AM here in the UK). But I did watch your YT review video method and I was impressed, I don't know you but you come across as mature, professional, competent & confident... and like a good guy.

Look forward to bumping into you on the forums or teamspeak ;)

Enjoy Legion of Sparta and remember it's about the people and not the game, we play a fair few games and try to host where possible the ones our community like. We also play some games that we can not host like MMO's (well some of us) and so make arrangements to bump into each other if required.

Alot of folks come from all around the world, mainly USA, Europe & Australia to name a few, the only thing we ask is respect & an understanding for some tired bod's that are burning the oil......

viii

john.

p.s. I beat you (46)

p.p.s. I bumped your status to full forum access (9) because your post was so good, normally we'd talk to you in teamspeak. :) log out & login to auto change to dark green.

g'day

that was my Australia plug - seriously, nice to hear your story and look forward to seeing you ingame.

i will look out for soldier wielding paper.

FP love the video work - quality and humourous at times - v nice.

yep - that need for speed review was brilliant - not sure if you do this professionally but if theres a market for it and money to be made then step up - you are the man for the job.

Edited by Lightspeed

I think we all started on consoles at one point, I started with a coleco vision pong. Back in the late 70s Before alot of folks saw light. I still have most of my old consoles that are vintage now. I just sold a early sega master system 3-d in perfect condition for $150. I still have a 1980s sega gensis with a 32x adaptor with 15 or so games in perfect mint condition for sale. Got them for birthdays and xmass and the like thru out the years. I don't play them anymore and want to sell them off. You know some colectors that want this stuff let me know. Of corse you can buy remakes of this stuff, but these are orginal mint condition. I also have a early sega game gear wth the tv module and magafier and soft case as well.

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Howdy!

Oh joy of joys, my new system is complete! Everything has been re-installed, and after one more evening of defragmenting and backing-upping of data, I'll be ready to join in the fray once more!

In case you might be wondering what re-installing everything involves, this should give you some idea...

User posted image

Keep in mind that A) not everything is fitting in this picture, B) this doesn't account for the 10 or so games that I don't have boxes for because they were purchased thru Steam or Impulse, and C) there's all the other stuff that isn't a game of some sort.

"ooooh, look at the pretty boxes!"

It's good to know, at nearly-30, I'm on the younger side of the crowd here. My wife still doesn't get it.

They never do, having to divorce the first one just to get some peace & quiet (and gaming time). No.2 seems far more happy with the thought of gaming..... even wants to get involved!

We have a LAN planned in November, with a bunch of guys she works with. It will be her first gaming experience, so i guess it could be downhill from there!!! :lol:

They never do, having to divorce the first one just to get some peace & quiet (and gaming time). No.2 seems far more happy with the thought of gaming..... even wants to get involved!

We have a LAN planned in November, with a bunch of guys she works with. It will be her first gaming experience, so i guess it could be downhill from there!!! :lol:

If you want to hook her, try Plants v. Zombies, and go from there. Make sure you have a seperate machine for her to use otherwise we'll never see you in ARMA2!

If you want to hook her, try Plants v. Zombies, and go from there. Make sure you have a seperate machine for her to use otherwise we'll never see you in ARMA2!

Two other games you can get through Steam that I would recommend: Audiosurf and Osmos. Both are simple and addictive, and through this weekend, Audiosurf is only $5, so you could get BOTH games for only $15.

Audiosurf would be my recommendation if you wanted only one of the above. Besides being cheaper (for the next 2 days at least), it features a two-player mode where one player uses the mouse and the other uses the keyboard, giving you the opportunity to "get a little closer" to your significant other. And the greatest feature is that the game is completely customizable, because you'll be using your own music library to create the tracks you'll play on, a feature that also determines the overall difficulty of the game.

For what it's worth, I think the fact that I've purchased this game FOUR times says something: once for myself, and three more times as gifts to friends and family.