Spartans Home

Simple Squad Movement

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

Hi everyone. I thought I would follow up on Dai's very well thought out and extensive presentations on squad movement. Those are very close, if not exactly like, what today's modern military uses when doing movement exercises. In my experience with moving in squads in the Army, it was difficult at first to get the formations down just right. I actually had to be out in the field to translate what I saw on paper diagrams into what I would be seeing in first-person. So, that's what I'm going to try to do here. It's even more difficult in video games due to the lack of peripheral vision and situational awareness limited by our monitors.

Below are a few screenshots along with diagrams on what these formations look like in a 3D perspective. They aren't perfect, but they can be used as guides in how to properly move.

Staggered Column

We'll start out easy with a staggered column. This is by far the easiest formation to master, as you are moving in a straight line and almost everyone can see each other. It is used mostly on roads. You stagger yourselves to make incoming fire harder to hit, plus it keeps fratracide down when returning fire.

User posted image

Wedge Formation

This is the most standard formation used in basic movement in the Army. We'll start out with this and move on to more complex movements in future posts.

You basically have a group, it doesn't really matter how big, but I kept it to 4-5 for demonstration purposes.

One man, on "point" is out front as the eyes and ears of the squad. Just like in a formation of flying ducks, he's also the guiding force in the formation.

Behind him and to his left is the compass man. This person relays info back to the point man if he's off course and concentrates on the pace and how far they've moved. It's broken up like this so the Point Man can concentrate more on threats, rather than where he's going.

To the left and right of these men are the regular soldiers that make up the squad. The leader usually stays back and keeps himself in the middle, typically keeping the compass man and point man in view.

This is what the view looks like from the squad leader's position

User posted image

This is what the formation looks like as the right flank position

User posted image

And this is what it looks like from the regular soldiers (right of point) position

User posted image

This is just a simple type of formation for you guys to try when you're playing in game. Here are a couple things to keep in mind when you're moving...

1. The point man is the central figure in the whole formation. The people directly behind him mirror his movements. Then the people behind them mirror their movements, and so-on.

2. If you are set to the right side of point, always keep the person directly ahead of you to the front and on the far left side of the screen. Vice-versa for soldiers on the right. Don't let the person ahead of you to stray from that position on your monitor and you'll be good to go every time.

I'll be putting out more soon, but just wanted you all to get a simple grasp and try it during our domination nights, or even tactical nights. Please feel free to pass this info along and teach the folks in TS these same principles. It'll be quick to pick up. I'll be glad to show anyone if they just pull me aside in TS.

lol, I used to have a whole thing about urban movement tactics. We used to hold practices during the GRAW days. One day, I might do that again with Arma2, but at the moment I'm completely covered up with other stuff. Remind me in 2 weeks and we'll see where I'm at. I have a lot of topics I'm going to be doing posts on in the near future. I can hold training sessions for these topics at any time when requested....

Squad movement: Formations, reaction to direct fire, reaction to indirect fire, flanking movements, proper deployment of smoke

Vehicle movement, air and ground: Formation movement, fast-landing, slow-landing, convoy deployment

Communication: Organizing a squad, crew-chief to pilot communication, marking an LZ

Navigation: Map markers, Terrain identification and orienteering, judging distance via comass.

Anyways, has anyone used this particular method of keeping formation in-game??? How did it work for you?

I still have a copy of the stuff you put together for GRAW

It's spacing that I believe is the biggest prob, in a squad some leave different sized spacing. I feel In almost all situations that I want to move slower then others and I struggle to keep the pace set and cover what I believe is my arc. But all of that will get better with practice and I have noticed that the 3rd and 4th time I play with somebody it gets better.

lol, I used to have a whole thing about urban movement tactics. We used to hold practices during the GRAW days. One day, I might do that again with Arma2, but at the moment I'm completely covered up with other stuff. Remind me in 2 weeks and we'll see where I'm at. I have a lot of topics I'm going to be doing posts on in the near future. I can hold training sessions for these topics at any time when requested....

Squad movement: Formations, reaction to direct fire, reaction to indirect fire, flanking movements, proper deployment of smoke

Vehicle movement, air and ground: Formation movement, fast-landing, slow-landing, convoy deployment

Communication: Organizing a squad, crew-chief to pilot communication, marking an LZ

Navigation: Map markers, Terrain identification and orienteering, judging distance via comass.

Anyways, has anyone used this particular method of keeping formation in-game??? How did it work for you?

That is a pretty good write up. I have a few points that could be considered.

One is the ?expand and contract? principle. When crossing an open area, the distance between each Soldier should be as far as hand signals can allow. This is somewhat difficult to replicate in game but just remember to spread out in the open. This protects the entire team from getting hosed by one grenade or artillery fire.

On the opposite end you want to collapse the formation when entering a wooded or brush filled area. You must be able to see the Soldier to your sides (wedge, line, echelons, etc) and your front and rear (line, Ranger file).

The best method of maintaining formation in game is just to have everybody on comms and to have them slow down. Yes it is easier and quicker to have everyone running when they move. However if everyone is not running you can react quicker as a team to what ever threat is presented. Even if someone does not have a mic, they should be on TS to at least be able to listen to commands, SITREPS etc.

Also standard commands should be used when identifying a threat while in formation.

ENEMY (TROOPS, TANK, TRUCK, etc)

DIRECTION IN RELATION TO THE FORMATION, NOT YOU. (THREE O'CLOCK)

-> a general description can be used also (THREE O'CLOCK NEAR THAT BARN)

So, BMP 2'0CLOCK TREELINE.

Once the threat is identified, the formation is brought on line to engage the target. That is the beauty of the Wedge, be it a team, squad wedge, Platoon in column squads in wedge etc, the entire element can be brought on line and the firepower directed en mass on the target, with just a slight shift of personnel. You can then begin bounding towards the enemy, or lay suppressive fire while another team bounds to and sweeps through the enemy line. Although suppression in regards to the AI is questionable.

If you are going to take the time to move as a formation, you need to fight as one, this means no Rambo's who take off on a whim to pet the rabbits or see what is over the next hill.

Also if a group is going to actively move as and work as a team, weapon load out does matter. How that load out is set up will be mission dependant, a good cross section of weapons would be best, at least one AT (SMAW, etc), a couple 203's, some demo, etc.

The wedge and left/right echelon formations are effectively used with a Platoon of tanks or PC's the same principles apply.

I have not played AMRA2 enough to have tried this, however team and squad tactics against the AI and other players in ARMA did work well.

A great source of Infantry tactics can be found in FM7-8 Infantry Rifle Platoon and Squad and FM 7-7J Mechanized Infantry Platoon and Squad which can be found here.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/lib.../7-8/index.html

They are the slightly outdated versions, but the basics stay the same.

Good reads are....

FM 7-8

Ch 1 Sec 2

Ch 2 Sec 3,4,5,9

Ch 4Battledrills.

One is the ?expand and contract? principle. When crossing an open area, the distance between each Soldier should be as far as hand signals can allow. This is somewhat difficult to replicate in game but just remember to spread out in the open. This protects the entire team from getting hosed by one grenade or artillery fire.

On the opposite end you want to collapse the formation when entering a wooded or brush filled area. You must be able to see the Soldier to your sides (wedge, line, echelons, etc) and your front and rear (line, Ranger file).

Marshall and I learned a bit yesterday about effective spacing. Unlike your scenario w/hand signals, it seems like we want to imitate a greater spacing in-game. Marshall and I were assaulting Berzino from the hill/rock outcropping SW of town (assorted others in and out as well), and we found the blast radius of the T72 much greater than expected. I think we both went down from the same shot, but 30m apart.

Would a 40m spacing be appropriate for general tactics?

Marshall and I learned a bit yesterday about effective spacing. Unlike your scenario w/hand signals, it seems like we want to imitate a greater spacing in-game. Marshall and I were assaulting Berzino from the hill/rock outcropping SW of town (assorted others in and out as well), and we found the blast radius of the T72 much greater than expected. I think we both went down from the same shot, but 30m apart.

Would a 40m spacing be appropriate for general tactics?

I doubt the blast radius from the main gun is 30m. What more than likely occurred was the main gun got one of you and the LMG mount got the other. But I wasn't there so that's my guess.

I doubt the blast radius from the main gun is 30m. What more than likely occurred was the main gun got one of you and the LMG mount got the other. But I wasn't there so that's my guess.

Marshall--chime in? We both remember dying at the same time, after making adjustments to our spacing, and I remember the signature ringing from a tank round as well. Perhaps something to test are the blast radii of exploding/heavy rounds?

I don't know depends on how accurately they portrayed the blast radius, or if the AI knew to shoot at you with a HE/MP round. The kill radius of a hand grenade is 5 meters and a 120mm (4.2) mortar right around 50 meters. So I'd be willing to bet the T-72's 125mm HE/MP round would fall near 30m kill radius against troops in the open.

I don't know depends on how accurately they portrayed the blast radius, or if the AI knew to shoot at you with a HE/MP round. The kill radius of a hand grenade is 5 meters and a 120mm (4.2) mortar right around 50 meters. So I'd be willing to bet the T-72's 125mm HE/MP round would fall near 30m kill radius against troops in the open.

Durka -

I think these instructional posts of yours are great. I myself have no military experience whatsoever so it's all new to me and very helpful, especially with the ingame illustrations.

I just wanted to add another source I'd read before that helped me when I first started playing Arma - I'm not sure if someone already linked to it or not...

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

Durka -

I think these instructional posts of yours are great. I myself have no military experience whatsoever so it's all new to me and very helpful, especially with the ingame illustrations.

I just wanted to add another source I'd read before that helped me when I first started playing Arma - I'm not sure if someone already linked to it or not...

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

Dslyecxi's guide is great, it fills a huge gap. Most guides include just the basic stats on weapons/characters, but not how to utilize them properly. The guide doesn't provide any stats, so our filling in here is good when needed.