Spartans Home

ArmA II Tactical Mission Night

DaiSan

Weekday  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok people, due to interest being shown in the forums we have decided to stage a regular weekly Tactical Mission night.

This poll and the planned mission night is for GMT timezone and is provisionally planned around 20:00 GMT

We will post another thread if anyone comes forward (within SPARTA) to admin different timezones.

This is not a Domination gametype and certain rules and restrictions will apply.

I will attempt to explain how this will work below but nothing is set in stone so it will be a learning curve for us as well as you.

What is the Tactical Mission Night?

Basically the SPARTA Tactical Server will be used which will be in Veteran mode and will be running Community written MISSIONS.

What are the rules for taking part?

The rules for taking part are as follows (and again this is subject to change).

1: Every player Must be on our TS server with a working mic and be willing to communicate.

2: All players must be willing to follow the orders of whoever is commanding the mission even if this means just staying in one spot and observing for ages.

3: All players must be polite and tactical once the mission starts (Both on TS and in game chat). This is not to the detriment to fun, missions can be a barrel of laughs, but it is definitely a time to put the game heads on.

4: Run and gun, or lonewolfing will not be tolerated. Causing a mission fail or a teammates death because you got bored or because you wanted to kill something is NOT tactical and not wanted.

5: Punctuality. This is a pretty big one. All of the missions we will be playing will be 'No JIP' (Join In Progress). This means if you aren't around at the mission start time, then until the mission ends (win or lose) you will not be able to join in. It's a bit harsh if your a few minutes late but to be honest it's necessary. There have been nights when the actual start time has been delayed by upto an hour because people kept turning up a few minutes into a mission. This is not going to happen, it's unfair on the people that did make it on time.

These are the basic rules for playing and if you don't agree with them or think you may have problems with them then that is entirely your choice and no one will think any the worse of you but maybe this night isn't for you.

Below are a few question that you may think of (obviously you will think of many more and feel free to ask them).

What kind of missions will we play?

This is only limited by the kind of missions we can find to put on the server (within reason).

Personally I prefer Infantry based missions using no friendly vehicles or aircraft (except maybe a Humvee or Truck for transport if the distance is great, though from experience in ArmA I, using vehicle in most missions draws unwanted attention and gets you dead <_< ) so to begin with this is what we will start with.

We will try and use missions that require thought and planning rather than brute force and ignorance.

Will there be any pre mission planning?

I will try and post up (in our forum) which mission we will be playing a few days in advance along with a link to the mission so people can download and try it and discuss any tactics and thoughts.

How long will these games last?

How long is a piece of string? I would allow at least 2 hours for this game night. Any less and you are probably going to be leaving before it's ended and put your team mates in jeopardy.

Who will lead the mission?

This will be decided in the pre mission planning stage but expect to have to lead a mission at some point. After all, war is fluid and the chain of command can change with a single bullet so everyone needs at least some knowledge of formulating plans on the fly and issuing orders.

Can we make suggestions/recommendations of missions?

Of course, if you have found, or even better written a good mission that you think we will enjoy, then by all means let one of us know and we will upload it to the server.

OK, this is getting to be an essay now so I will wrap it up here. Please post any question you may have and don't forget to do the poll so we can work out what is the best night for everyone.

I hope this will be the start of something good and that you enjoy playing with us on the Sparta Tactical Server.

Dai-San out!

Edited by Dai-San~SPARTA~

I voted Friday as it's the only weekend option. With time zone conflicts I would prefer not to be up too late on a weeknight, for me I'd like to be done & dusted by 10pm GMT, Monday to Thursday. If that was possible, then I'd probably go with Tuesday.

This is a really good idea to implement here! The game's interest is growing and the enjoyment of being on with you guys is as well! I can try to make it to these events as well. Sounds like a blast!

At the moment Friday is a runaway choice. Now for me this is not a problem as I'm on most nights anyway and prefer to play Tactical Missions than domination.

Is this a problem for the Public Dom server or can the Tactical Domination nights be moved easily enough?

What I don't want is to draw too many of the regulars away and cause friction.

I will see if I can get some Alpha Squad members over here for this.

This is the way we should be playing Arma2 every day!!!

woohoo!!

Alpha Squad are always welcome (seeing as I know em all) as are TEK, 9MS etc B)

Can we not do both, we are still getting a lot of new people every week and most join the Friday Tac Dom after the time Dia-San would normally want to start (guessing here bud please correct if wrong). If I need to help with the Tac Mission please grab me otherwise I will continue with Tac Dom :D

Can we not do both, we are still getting a lot of new people every week and most join the Friday Tac Dom after the time Dia-San would normally want to start (guessing here bud please correct if wrong). If I need to help with the Tac Mission please grab me otherwise I will continue with Tac Dom :D

Of course we can do both bud, I just thought if quite a few of your regulars decide to give Tac Missions a go I didn't want Tac Dom to suffer as It's the regular good players that help the new players along.

The offer of help is also much appreciated and I may well take you up on it if needed.

How about a Saturday option.

Weekends are fine but they are also the most likely to be a pain due to family commitments, evenings out etc. I have always found in the past that it is far easier to schedule in a weekday evening than weekends.

How about switching it up every other friday Tactical then Domination the following friday we should try to have some training during the days mon, wed if possible I'm happy with whatever goes down

Look I know this is a big step and Im not sure how adminning works on these servers but -

at Alpha Squad they used to give players who used servers and obeyed rules access to the password so they could change the missions which allowed players to jump in anytime.

not saying you open it as a free for all - but having the server open at anytime for tactical players with password access to jump in, choose a mission, and play when they like was a great success and it worked at Alpha for years.

the fact that you cant JIP means ppl who rock up can just ask how long the mission should last and be ready in the lobby for the next mission.

thoughts?

Edited by Lightspeed

Just a thought, but ether the UK & US server are not under any stress at the moment, you could in fact run up another instance of arma 2 on ether the servers. And run a possible of 6 servers, maybe not full time. But only when required it would not affect performance. The only thing I am worried about is total domination of Arma servers in the future when other games come out. But as long as you guys understand that, then I don't see a problem in the meantime.

Just a thought ?

ah yes - ill have to see how that works - so i could change to new missions?

Vote yourself admin and you can start any mission on server :D

Hi guys, been playing on the server and wanted to say hi first off since first time visiting the forums.

May I make a suggestion? I would have posted in the ArmA 2 forums but was unable to and possibly this maybe the better place to post it anyhow.

Can you bring the MV-22 back. I was really digging it and it seems no one really is utilizing for what it could be used as.

I've had some experience with Mando's lift script and its a bummer in its current format you can't segregate a third lift group in which it could possibly be used to lift only Utility type vehicles (repair, MHQ, Salvage, etc) or even track vehicles (eventhough not very realistic but for faster game play then driving Armor for 20min to coast).

Just a suggestion.

Enjoy the times on the server and if anyone is interested, made some cluster bombs I may release soon that work fairly nasty ;)

-=GA=- SirSmok@lot

(p.s. MajBurninDischarge is one of my local buddies in which we link up regularly and find ourselves on your server alot lately. If anyone has a problem with him let me know, he means no foul and is fairly new to the game and is a great team player)

OK, so Friday night seems to be the favourite so let's roll with it for now.

So what I'm proposing is we give it a bash THIS Friday evening (that's the 25th of September) at 20:00 BST (British Summer Time).

What I need from you guy's is some suggestions of missions you might have played or fancy playing (so I can upload them to the server) or if not then I will choose something.

Also Someone to step forward and Lead the Mission.

Once we decide on a mission I will post up a briefing and we can open a discussion on tactics etc.

Also we can talk about TS etiquette etc.

Comments/suggestions?