Spartans Home

Just played it

Griff

Well i was mostly trying to get information about star wars the old republic, so i just dropped a quick note here in case anyone wanted to ask a dev something. My impression of the game is it is beautiful, but the controls don't seam as intuitive as they do in ARMA 2. I was playing on a fairly high end machine and the frame rates were a bit choppy. I really disliked the squad command menu, but i never like any command menu that i have ever used, i guess i will just have to get used to that. The bloom from the sunlight was overwhelming on the small screen, but on the 42 inch TV they were also showing it it was much better. I used the M4, and it was as accurate as ARMA 2. There wern't any vehicles in the level.

To wrap up, it was fun, and if i had the time to adjust alot of the setting, it would have been much more fun. I am sure now that i am going to buy this game, i just don't think that it will be replacing my ARMA 2. The previous post was from my iphone (which was working poorly) so i hope this small amount of information helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

cheers - i think most ppl will end up buying this - loads of potential here - worth the spend. and as you say - you still have Arma2 as well - you cant lose

Finally a person who sees the value of having BOTH games!

Respect! :)

• 2 weeks later...

of course there is value in both games and those who don't see are plain idiots (no exceptions).

what is the best way to make a game developer like BIS work harder on its game?

add competition - real competition - a large island tactical fps game like OFP:DR.

and what will make the OFP crew work harder?

knowing they have to compete with BIS.

who loses? noone.

Who wins? the gamers everytime.

of course there is value in both games and those who don't see are plain idiots (no exceptions).

what is the best way to make a game developer like BIS work harder on its game?

add competition - real competition - a large island tactical fps game like OFP:DR.

and what will make the OFP crew work harder?

knowing they have to compete with BIS.

who loses? noone.

Who wins? the gamers everytime.

Some would say that the only competition they see is that of sales. If you buy both games you have basically voted for both presidential candidates. In reality, not much competition there. If you have purchased both, you've just invalidated your slot in the 'competition.'

There is, however, a flip side to this issue. Both developers (ArmA2 and DR) have made numerous statements about providing key differences in their games and focusing on different aspects.

To see these differences you need only to watch the videos posted by RViiiper, X-Wind, and many others here on the forums or on their respective websites. Also take in to consideration that ArmA2 is based on ArmA1 which is based on a real-world combat SIMULATOR. The DR team have talked more about graphics than even GRIN about GRAW and GRAW2. While a lot of people prefer pretty game play there are very few of us who don't sacrifice the uber-shiney-ness for those extra few fps. That being said, DR offers some things that ArmA2 does not, just as ArmA2 has things that DR does not. But comparing the two and forgetting about the core differences and the purpose of each game would be fundamentally flawed. The old apples-to-oranges adage applies here. So before we delve further in to a pissing contest about which is better and why (which most of the time is based on personal opinion anyway) don't forget to first, look at what makes them different and special, and second, look for the similarities which places them in the same class.

Personally, I am excited for SPARTA at the chance to play and learn a new game. Between both games, the possibilities here are LOSC are endless. I for one, will be placing competition in the null status by seeing both boxes proudly displayed on my game box shelf.

So before we delve further in to a pissing contest about which is better and why (which most of the time is based on personal opinion anyway)

not sure where you thought the pissing contest was occurring, certainly wasn't in this thread.

there have been many other ppl on other forums in other threads who have said OFP:DR will be crap compared to Arma2 - but I just don't see how these ppl can think a new game will be krap particularly when it hasn't even been played yet.

i'm also hoping that while the games are somewhat different at present, that over time through modding and ongoing development for the sequel which im sure will follow, that the gap between the 2 games will close - OFP:DR will become far more tactical and implement more of the Arma2 features, hence, driving BIS to press forward in development.

This may not be the case of course, but I'm optimistic about the future of tactical FPS with the addition of this game.

Also, buying this game once doesnt mean that you have outright voted your full support for them - it is a vote of confidence for the candidate but if the game is rubbish it may not get the sales again in the future. BIS currently has the benefit of guaranteed sales and if OPF:DR was to develop into an amazing tactical fps with the amazing graffix then BIS would have to reconsider its position in the market (maybe look at developing that new engine after all - if they aren't already working on one).

Either way - its the gamers who win in the long run.

Edited by Lightspeed

No No No. not at all a pissing contest yet Lightspeed, but the conversations around here tend to do so turn to them sometimes. I was mainly saying that:

A. buying both games nullifies a sale for each. Which, while you have purchased the game, it does not really count for a sale over the other. Publishers look at sales and almost sales alone as a measure of success. Much the same way the recording industry and film industry do. Sales means all. I think people should buy both because of what each brings to the table.

B. Both games have their strong points and weak points. There is no point in arguing the differences because they are targeting different audiences in the same FPS genre.

C. I agree with you on the gamers winning.

Sorry that you took this as a rebuttal. It was not intended as an argument. Sorry you took it that way.

All in all I was agreeing with you and then adding my 2 cents.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

• 3 weeks later...

So I have bought opf2 on steam, and the more I play it the less I am enjoying it. It dosn't have all the bells and whistles I have come to expect from the orignal operation flashpoint, arma, and arma2. The p2p thing is really bad for lag issues. I hate that there is no lean ( I thought the keyboard was just setup incorrectly at PAX). a ranking system is siilly without rewards. I could go on......

On the up side I do think the AI is a tad better than arma2, and the game is stuning looking.