Spartans Home

Sparta Domination SOP Suggestions

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

Hello all,

In an effort to make the Domination server a little more cohesive, as well as coherent, I've thought of making an S.O.P. (Standard Operating Procedures) I will be taking suggestions on how to make the server better by way of changing how we play the game. Keep the suggestions polite and constructive and I'll pin a post up with a final draft after everything has been discussed in full. Here are a few examples...

1. Require those who drive/fly to be on TS. - It doesn't take very long to get into a vehicle and get it destroyed, espically choppers and MHQs. For this, the best remedy would be swift communication via voice comms so as to eliminate confusion.

2. Choppers are only meant for ferrying troops/vehicles, and should be returned to base after every drop-off. - All too often, chopper pilots drop off their paks, then land at the main target. Before long, you have 3 choppers parked in various parts of the map with the pilots missing in action. Meanwhile, the folks at base wanting to be picked up for transport are left stranded. If a player is going to volunteer to fly the chopper, he/she needs to stick with that chopper until his job is done. Once you drop off your paks, fly back to base or other parts of the map where troops need transport.

3. Keep transports on schedule. - To keep transportation to/from base as smooth as possible, I've used this method which has a lot of success. Once a pilot unloads his troops at the target, he flies back to base to pick up more, signalling in TS that he is "RTB" (Returning To Base) Once the pilot lands back at base, he sends a text out saying "Durka is back at base, ready to transport to main target. Liftoff in 60sec...." The pilot then presses the "O" key to bring up the watch. Once one minute has passed, the pilot lifts off for the main target. Easy as pie.

4. While the pilot is waiting for troops to enter his chopper, he can work at plotting out his waypoints on the map, so as to make the trip easier. If he is ferrying to the same area, he only has to do it once. Pilots, make sure you're in the vehicle channel when plotting out these waypionts, so as not to clutter the map with markers.

As there are 3 transport choppers I find it a good idea to leave one at the FOB/LZ at both the main and side targets it makes for a much quicker and ordered EVAC.

Not trying to be a pain mate.

scrap the Paradrops perhaps - i am guilty of this too now bcoz im tired of getting to the next red zone and finding that several guys before have cleared the area - so im trying to get their first now.

no paradrops then we all wait for chopper and go in as one team

That's definately a good idea, since this has been happening more and more lately. Thanks for the suggestion, we may/may not be able to use it. We're trying to work with MH6 to edit the Dom map to foster more and more teamwork, not just between a couple people, but between the whole company. The admins will have to make the decision on the parajumps, though, since it's such a big part of the game. We'll see..

For now, we'll just keep this thread to standard procedures that affect the current game type and how we play that current game type.

That's definately a good idea, since this has been happening more and more lately. Thanks for the suggestion, we may/may not be able to use it. We're trying to work with MH6 to edit the Dom map to foster more and more teamwork, not just between a couple people, but between the whole company. The admins will have to make the decision on the parajumps, though, since it's such a big part of the game. We'll see..

For now, we'll just keep this thread to standard procedures that affect the current game type and how we play that current game type.

To be quite honest I would get rid of parajumping and MHQs in a heartbeat. I prefer how it was in ArmA1 playing Evolution , where you have to constantly transport troops from the main base to the battlezone in large groups. That actually gives transport pilots something to constantly do, unlike now in Arma2 Domination where you transport three or five guys and an MHQ then wait around, bored, until they clear it and move on to the next town.

Of course, I understand MHQs pretty much make Domination what it is, but eh--just makes people more reckless in my opinion, knowing that they can instantly respawn at the battle zone.

Edit: Whoops, sorry, missed that last sentence.

Edited by MH6

Hi there,

we have atleast one ex-paratrooper here with us, I bet that him and I will be dissapointed without any ability to do some special forces stuff ;)

Can one set longer time-out for parajumps?

or disable them away and give us more civilian vehicles to the towns? It hasn´t been once or twice when I have been left to the cleared out town with few fellow fighters.

or how about using 1-2 Ospreys as an paratrooper transports?

I´m a huge fan of WW2 flightsims and there was also the problem of too brave action :)

In IL-2 simulator some servers had a maximum deaths allowed when they wanted the players to be more carefull. In that game guite common setting was 3-5 deaths and you´re out of the game for next 15 mins. In ArmA 2 one could use 8-10 deaths and chill out break if that is possible.

Br,

-KILLE-

Ok, to keep this from spiraling down further, I'm going to reiterate that we're looking for suggestions on standard procedures during the gametype that we have already. Not meant as offense or anything, so please don't take it that way.

Keep it on track please :) (some more examples)

1. When pilots are flying, before he takes off, the commander of the ground squad inside the chopper tells him where he would like to be dropped off. From that point, the only communication that needs to be happening is between the pilot and the crew. That way, comms won't be cluttered and flying will be a lot safer.

2. When waiting for extract, smoke should always be popped upon hearing the rotors of the chopper. Coordination needs to happen between someone on the ground (commander?) and the pilot/crew chief. Crew chief will then talk the pilot down safely.

3. Smoke Color: Green = safe LZ, Red = Hot LZ White = I don't have any green/red smoke so this'll do.

MHQ Evac from cleared town to next target a priority. similar to the above where paradrop is mentioned, but for a different reason -> seems like if there is some attack choppers and other nice aircraft in the base, then pilots (understandably?) prefer to fly the new vehicles instead of the transport choppers.

it's a bit frustrating being sat at an Evac point with the MHQ for 10 or 15 mins or longer when you notice the other vehicles buzzing about. have noticed public asking for evac repeatedly (peeps on TS are often more reserved), and ok they can use the paradrop, but still the MHQ should be at the main target :) joe public just leaves if there is no decent attack / respawn or revive at the main target.

IMHO Chopper 1 should be parked near the original entry point for MHQ1, same for chopper 2.

MHQ1 should always be used for main target

MHQ2 should be used for side missions and when neccesary secondary approach to main target.

Chopper 3 should be left at base and used to ferry stuff, this is the one that should be always flown back to base.

This will allow priority and prompt extraction of MHQ1 to the next main target.

Wreck chopper should be used exclusively for wreck recovery and always RTB and left in its spot.

I never carry smoke but if a zone is hot we should secure it or create another one

It would be good to establish a clear set of guidelines so we always know what we are doing and when we are to do it.

when I join the server there are only a few of us, we cannot spare anyone for exclusive chopper work, however later in the evening, there are a couple of players that will fly transport all night long.

Great suggestions all. We're on our way to making an SOP that will work and keep the server running smoothly all night long. Keep 'em coming!

I'm liking where this is going, a lot. It's what makes gaming with you guys enjoyable, must be old age but this stuff is just what I enjoy now-a-days.

However, I'm not sure how this is going to work without hiccup as long as you keep it an open server. The admins are always going to have one eye on mischief and flouting of the SOP. Hope I'm wrong but there's always the frustration of people coming in and throwing the proverbial spanner.

Anywho.... my 2 cents: Clear guidelines for captured armour, too often we've worked to secure and re-use T-90's etc only to get someone take us out without listening to TS / reading the chats or just plain looking at the map.

Can we wrap this up in the SOP somehow or do we veto recovering opfor armour?

Recovering OPFOR armor is certianly doable, it just takes people who have the patience to look/think for a split second before they shoot.

And this SOP is a guideline on how to play better in the Dom server. You're not going to get kicked out because you flew without a crewchief or something, but half the people on the server run by those guidelines, then most everyone will follow suite, at least that's whats hoped.

White = I don't have any green/red smoke so this'll do.

:lol:

is it possible to restrict use of choppers to certain people or classes so you dont have fools rushing in flying off with the choppers as happens in the public?

if these fools occupy the pilot class admins can ask them to move out of them to make way for the intelligent and approved pilots or get booted.

Good thread excellent ideas made by many

Re parajump

Most of the small missions I took part in playing Arma were Halo entry they were also NO respawn or revive and were difficult but a helluva lotta fun. We have a locked tactical server and as new missions are made they will be added and you will not have to be a Sparta member to play but it will by invitation, just be a regular on teamspeak :D .

I'm beginning to like the idea of a delay in the flagpole appearing (or not being available at all)

I think we should add to the SOP

At the EVAC point ASAP build a Med Tent and drop Ammo crate bring all vehicles to the EVAC and repair them

It might be an idea for some body to choose and mark an EVAC point before the town is even captured.

I like the idea of removing the MHQ or instead of getting rid of them ( for when there are only a few people on the server) just stop using them ESPECIALLY on the Tactical Fri nights. I like the chopper ferry system, because I know some nights when I get home I want to blow things up and other nights I just want to relax and fly low. That said i thinking leaving parajumps as they are is okay every 30 mins is not too bad especially when there is no MHQ you cvan para into friends or all jump together instead of waiting for the chopper but you can't do that too often.

I agree completely with the chopper pilot calling out when he is at base and will be leaving in 1 min then again at 20- 10 secs.

As has been mentioned before by Lightspeed I've seen other servers utilize a "Pilot" class, only that class can fly choppers/planes. I'd say it'd be easier to restrict individuals from using this class than it would be to restrict anyone not on TS from flying (obviously what we're currently doing). This may also make those who love flying and like to be dedicated pilots happy.

As for the procedure part of flying, I'd definitely like to see a protocol being adhered to when possible by chopper pilots/chopper crews.

I'll throw it out there that I'm also not a fan of the flags that allow parajumping. If I had a say in it, I'd say we do it all ourselves, don't just click a spot on the map and be dropped there, add the C-130 and allow HALO jumps from this plane. MH6 has already added the ability of HALO jumping in his version of Domination via the C-130 so once again, we don't really need those paradrop flags anymore. I would hope this would keep our former paratroopers happy as well. Now all we need is a pilot for that C-130.

If the problem isn't with the paradrop itself and more with the ability to get to the next target from the former target then I suppose pilots will just have to step it up. The Pilot class, if added, may also help in this case. For example if we fill the Pilot Class slots up with dedicated pilots utilizing TS we won't have the problem of choppers in the middle of nowhere or any of the other issues that have arisen in the past because of the non-TS players on the server. Also the pilot class itself helps to ensure that "dedicated" pilots stay dedicated, because I don't think you'd see many people in the pilot class suddenly switching to an infantry role.

Really though the only way this could work is if we worked on becoming more organized as a whole, although I guess that's what Durka had in mind when he opened up this discussion?

Anywho, just my two cents.

*Edited for clarity*

Edited by DeltaSierra

I never carry smoke but if a zone is hot we should secure it or create another one

Well,

if the para poles are going to be there, can´t we do so that 2-5 guys or a team A (next city for team B... and so on) jump into the next target area and their mission is not to move towards the enemy but to scout one or two possible landing zones (these possible LZ´s should be marked before those scouts make the jump).

If the zones are hot their mission is to mark it hot, one could use a map marker with different colour and text? And their jobs would be to secure the LZ.

Back at my army times we always used "forward" scouts who were always sent to the next target or station area to recon and to make the preparations in forehand (signals etc.).

These scouts are not supposed to engage the enemy unless they´re shot at. Their job is to lay low, recon and secure the area wich they were told to do.

If the area is really too hot, then their job is to pull out to the safe area (second possible LZ) recon and secure it for the rest of the troops come with the chopper lift.

Just my two cents

-KILLE-

The only problem I see with that KILLE is we don't know the next target town, unless you mean the Recon element para in to next town when it pops up whilst everyone else is getting ready at the EVAC point.

I think thats a great idea Kille - add another element to the game - closer to realism...as long as we all agree that the scouts may only mark a safe LZ, pop smoke and provide recon.

I really think this is a good idea and again it's pushing us closer to realism.

@ Custard - thats what he means - when we have the next red zone on map - we send in several scouts via paradrop as the rest of the team prepares for the chopper ride to the red zone.

Edited by Lightspeed

Pathfinders - I like :)

That's a really great suggestion Kille, something that we can implement in the future. When we're talking about playing in a public server, it would be difficult to get everyone on the same page, although I think after some time doing it, it should work. The only thing I'm worried about is having 10 pathfinders parajump and secure an LZ for only 3 people flying in. A more realistic scenario would be 2-5 parajump in to secure the area for the rest of the team, but I'm not sure how we could fix it for just those 2-5. I'm sure it would be more of a command decision, but it's certianly something we'll try, maybe even tonight. I'd like you to command a town or two tonight if you can.

Right now I think I have a good idea of the Sparta Domination SOP, listed with some basic rules and guidelines to keep the server running smoothly. I'll have something for our admins next week, then they can put it out officially. Thanks all for the suggestions.