Spartans Home

Domination Fixes and Updates

MH6~SPARTA~

Quite the discussion going on in here. :D

Would anyone be against me adding a few C-130s and UAVs (either armed or not - mostly for recon) to the airfield? I'd also like to see if I can give C-130s the ability to load a vehicle and unload mid-flight so it'd be like a player-operated air drop.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think an unarmed UAV would be brilliant, not sure about the C130 because when you are trying to admin the server its assets like this that cause agro on a public server.

If there was a way to keep everyone out of the C-130 but qualified pilots it could work.

Could have it setup like the attack aircraft: Have to wait 30min upon joining a server before you can fly it. That rule seems to fend off the impatient pubbers.

Personally I think the invasions on the base need to stop. Its stupid...our military would never let that happen let alone that many times on one of our air bases. Either post out some more defense such as tanks and AA on the base controlled by AI to take care of it or get rid of them all together. Its more of a PITA to spawn and instantly die from some aimbot PC at the base.

The fixes sound awesome MH6, ad thank you for taking the time to improve all of our gaming experience.

At the risk of highjacking this further... I might have to agree a bit with Morgan it sounds like we have out grown Domination. It seems like we yearn for a more tactical enviroment and not matter how many AI you have on the other side its still AI. I think doing a night of tactical PVP with a domination flavor might be a thing to look at. Something that might be even more interesting if possible would be Domination as it stands now but is it possible to with the AI as opfor while most people are still BLUFOR? If so maybe a 20/10 split would give the BLUFOR more pause before they just rush into a town. (MH6 is this possible? (maybe not as much of a highjack as I thought)) So you can still have your 20 BLUFOR all you tanks and planes... but if you can have 10 opfor who are players mixed in with the normal AI it would neutralize alot of that advantage I believe.

The fixes sound awesome MH6, ad thank you for taking the time to improve all of our gaming experience.

At the risk of highjacking this further... I might have to agree a bit with Morgan it sounds like we have out grown Domination. It seems like we yearn for a more tactical enviroment and not matter how many AI you have on the other side its still AI. I think doing a night of tactical PVP with a domination flavor might be a thing to look at. Something that might be even more interesting if possible would be Domination as it stands now but is it possible to with the AI as opfor while most people are still BLUFOR? If so maybe a 20/10 split would give the BLUFOR more pause before they just rush into a town. (MH6 is this possible? (maybe not as much of a highjack as I thought)) So you can still have your 20 BLUFOR all you tanks and planes... but if you can have 10 opfor who are players mixed in with the normal AI it would neutralize alot of that advantage I believe.

Well Domination has a built in mode called Two Teams (TT), where instead of AI defending towns the players do. So it's certainly possible. Just need to add some of the regular AI code to the TT code.

No one has said Domination is wrong for Sparta, I believe everyone is trying to have a constructive discussion on how to make it better and more fair.

If a town can be taken out by one jet or tank in less than 5 min, by 1-3 people, then that spoils the gameplay for the other 27-28 people on the server. People love the jets, but they're not really good for gameplay, unless they're gimped to only have dumb bombs, that could be a compromise.

It wouldn't make sense to take out choppers. They don't travel that fast and work best for transportation. Teleporting works well because it serves as a "reinforcement" option.

If the world were perfect and Durka was President, I would take out the Cobra, leave the huey, leave the air assets but only give them unguided bombs, and add only manual artillery. I would also add the option of a C-130 because it's only useful for transport and it would be fun to do airborne operations.

Cy had a great idea in having some nights where we do tank battles and it's worth exploring further.

If there is a different game mode that offers this, I'll be up for it. I have an open mind.

I really like the idea about the Hercules. I don't know if it it could fly above clouds, but it would be cool to have like 20 guys just run out the back, parachute close to mission. Or could you drive lets say a humv out the back with a parachute rigged to it.

I really like the idea about the Hercules. I don't know if it it could fly above clouds, but it would be cool to have like 20 guys just run out the back, parachute close to mission. Or could you drive lets say a humv out the back with a parachute rigged to it.

Yep, it's pretty sweet. I've done some mass para-drops out of a C-130 before (in-game, not real life :P), it's fun.

I've added the ability to load cargo into the C-130 and airdrop it mid-flight, by the way. Or the cargo can be unloaded on the ground (say if you want to fly something from one airfield to another).

This gives us a way to realistically transport tanks without exploiting!

Edit: Pictures! It's fun airdropping vehicles around the map.

User posted image

User posted image

Edited by MH6

Awesome work MH! Those C-130s do have weight limits in real life though, so dropping a 68 ton M1A1 may not jive. Whatever makes for a good game, though :)

I see ammo drops, MHQ drops, Humvee drops, and mass troop drops being the norm with this. I can't wait to do an all out airborne assault on a town!

Awesome work MH! Those C-130s do have weight limits in real life though, so dropping a 68 ton M1A1 may not jive. Whatever makes for a good game, though :)

I see ammo drops, MHQ drops, Humvee drops, and mass troop drops being the norm with this. I can't wait to do an all out airborne assault on a town!

True, but there aren't any C-17s in-game, so we have to make do with what we got. :P

True true. I think that would still work. Will troops be able to still fit inside while a tank is in? Man, you're conjuring up old memories. I once spent the night in Kirkuk on a helipad and heard this faint noise over head...pulled up my NVGs and a freakin monster C-17 was taking off directly above me. I almost fell back on my butt lol. I don't have much love for them, haha, but I do love watching c-130s fly. They're beautifully ugly machines.

True true. I think that would still work. Will troops be able to still fit inside while a tank is in? Man, you're conjuring up old memories. I once spent the night in Kirkuk on a helipad and heard this faint noise over head...pulled up my NVGs and a freakin monster C-17 was taking off directly above me. I almost fell back on my butt lol. I don't have much love for them, haha, but I do love watching c-130s fly. They're beautifully ugly machines.

Heh, bet that was a sight. I haven't yet seen either plane in person, unfortunately. I have gotten to sit in the pilot seat of a Blackhawk though (the very same Blackhawk in my avatar). I would love to fly one of those beauties.

And yes, troops will still be able to ride in the C-130 while cargo is loaded. They won't see the actual cargo in the plane, unfortunately; it'll just look like an empty C-130 to them. I may see if I can change that, but I doubt it.

One big advantage with this though is that you can load multiple vehicles into a single C-130, so for instance you could airdrop both a MHQ and a M1A2 simultaneously to the battle zone.

Edit: Er, avatar isn't showing up. Would have to view my profile.

Edited by MH6

And now you can see the vehicle in the cargo bay (and the vehicle crew can ride in it, like when getting transported by a chopper)

User posted image

I'm pretty sure it won't interfere with the troops either since i think the troops are in the front portion of the airframe, but I can't test it to be sure. It just puts me in the co-pilot seat when I try to ride in back. <_>

MH6 the current SM fx Has been crashing Today so Get us another one or the one you have been working on.

Why would it start crashing all of a sudden? All I did was remove a few elements from an array; I'm guessing it's either the server or just Domination.

Oh, and the map was changed to an older Domination map last night. Has it been switched back?

Edit: Also, the Sparta Veteran server (which is using SMFix map) looks like it's been up for quite some time.

Edited by MH6

Yeah I guess we will have to Figure it out..... :D

Is you new Stuff ready yet?

Yes and no. At the moment I'm trying to figure out a work around to fix the C-130's horrible turning radius. I don't know what BIS was thinking when they made it, but it can't turn for shit (and is nowhere near realistic). Can't even taxi onto the runway. It can easily be fixed with an addon but I'm trying to fix it in the map (and the addon fix won't work if I try it in the map code).

Welp' made some progress. I gave the C-130 pilot the ability to rotate the C-130 in small increments to compensate for the fact that it can't really be steered manually. I also added HALO support to the cargo drops, and will soon add it to the players as well. The pilot can set the altitude he'd like the cargo parachutes to open at; this way the C-130 can stay up high, out of range of the AA guns, but still be able to get the payload to the ground quickly. There are some restrictions to what you can load into the C-130 though; you can load a single vehicle and up to five additional static weapon emplacements (howitzers, mortars, etc). The vehicle will be visible in the cargo bay but the static weapons will not.

So, with a single C-130 we could quite easily deploy an entire Forward Operating Base wherever we need it.

The cargo can also be dropped selectively, one at a time (you choose what to drop), or rapidly, where the game picks for you. The latter option is for deploying your entire payload over the intended target without having to click a bunch of times.

I think I'm addicted to modding ArmA now.

Edited by MH6

Ammo box note

Last night playing just the side missions for fun with small group. Frank places charges on a ammo box and blows it. He says ammo box destroyed, I say no it is still there. Toni says, yes it is still there, Frank cannot see. He jumps in MHQ and no ammo box nearby to load. I jump in and load ammo box.

:o