Spartans Home

Announcing: Sparta Tactical Domination Nights: UPDATED

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

I just want to say one thing:

Maybe it was a desaster for Blufor yesterday (what in addition means good jop opfor) but also it was really great fun yesterday.

And for me the biggest indicator for that is to do not can tell how fast time passes by. And when I looked at my watch yesterday after only finishing one Ao i really was impressed and shocked.

I don´t know exactly how long we played but maybe we broke the record for completing just one AO???

It took quite some time, and I was surprised that I was able to stay on so long. I'm thinking that we should've given up at least a few minutes after all our AI were killed, just to progress things on a bit. If I ever do OPFOR again, I'll note that.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we held bluefor out for just over 2 hours yesterday - and Durka although it looked to you like there were no AI left besides the 3 human players, there were in fact about another 5 AI units moving around the AO.

i think 2 things would sort out the balance of what i believe is an incredible coop gaming experience is to limit arty and also to remove the blue icon showing recent position of bluefor or have it flash onscreen periodically not stay onscreen. do bluefor have red icons show up onscreen? if not, then to be fair opfor shouldnt have that ability either and should rely on the spotters to find and mark bluefor on map.

simple tweaks which i believe will make this mode perfectly balanced.

we held bluefor out for just over 2 hours yesterday - and Durka although it looked to you like there were no AI left besides the 3 human players, there were in fact about another 5 AI units moving around the AO.

i think 2 things would sort out the balance of what i believe is an incredible coop gaming experience is to limit arty and also to remove the blue icon showing recent position of bluefor or have it flash onscreen periodically not stay onscreen. do bluefor have red icons show up onscreen? if not, then to be fair opfor shouldnt have that ability either and should rely on the spotters to find and mark bluefor on map.

simple tweaks which i believe will make this mode perfectly balanced.

I agree removing the blue icon for opfor would balance things a bit .

the 2 opfor snipers will have more important roll than what is now.

Also, tonight's "theme" will introduce a couple changes, and I'm testing out now as I type.

1. We will be going up against troop towns only. No need for everyone to grab a SMAW. We tried this for a few nights and the game is much more condusive to actual tactics Armor tends to pull individual players away from the group, opening a line. Plus, the enem fire is wicked.

2. Get out your compass and remember your navigation skills! We're hiding the enemy camps and radio towers. :)

Great AOs tonight, guys. We had about 30min of frustraition trying to get the server working, but once we got going to Kelm, it was great. From insertion to completion, things worked great. I think we had one squad get decimated once, which in this game isn't so bad. (I should've placed you guys a little differently, sry!) All team leaders had great commo back and forth. Delta did a great job of eliminating the major threats first, distracting the enemy while allowing Bravo/Alpha to move fairly freely. I really liked how Alpha/Bravo worked together, covering each other as they moved.

Polana:

That one just sucked for me. I take full responsibility for the cluster that was. (and for the crash - phone rang in myear lol) I was distracted with RL for most of that AO, and couldn't get my bearings. In all-infantry AOs, those arty pieces are deadly, and I was surprised the tanks couldn't take them out fully.

I really enjoyed the all-infantry AO, and wish I could've been on the ground listenig to the volume of fire being placed downrange. Also, I'm glad we hid the camps/radio tower, as it (hopefully) got you guys into navigating better. Delta was instrumental.

How did you guys like the all-infantry? I think it helped because people tend to leave their squads and they aren't as cohesive when armor is roaming around, plus it eliminates the need for people in the air. Whad did you think about the non-marked camps?

ah i dint know about that durka as i could see all of my assets - gr8 idea though.

Yep, Opfor gets to see their stuff - they need to know where to defend. :) I think the hidden camps/radiotower works well in tactical as people have roles to scout, share info, etc. On the public server, this doesn't work as well.

Well the last AO I did was interesting, I think it took six hours to finish. It was a huge AO an d the forces had thinned somewhat on top of which there was a counterattack, we killed all of the armour with the attack choppers but had to finish the map off on foot, by then only 2 remained. I went to bed at 0600. I am officially feeling like crap now. But I hate to abandon a tac dom AO.

Great AOs tonight, guys. We had about 30min of frustraition trying to get the server working, but once we got going to Kelm, it was great. From insertion to completion, things worked great. I think we had one squad get decimated once, which in this game isn't so bad. (I should've placed you guys a little differently, sry!) All team leaders had great commo back and forth. Delta did a great job of eliminating the major threats first, distracting the enemy while allowing Bravo/Alpha to move fairly freely. I really liked how Alpha/Bravo worked together, covering each other as they moved.

i think A/B did work pretty good together, bravo set off from the LZ a little late so alpha took first contact, but we (bravo) moved through well as we were covered. we made it into the town no problem but alpha got stuck, the d30's were a pain in the ass again, but noone seemed to want to take it out. i dont know what what going on in alpha but our medic spent most of the time reviving their squad while the remainder of bravo - 2 people - tried to push through the town.

we were told to help out alpha and trying to pull back everyone ended up dying. was really frustrating to see everyone being revived but not moving foward or back and getting pounded by the arty. but as i said i dont know what was being said in the alpha channel.

once everyone stopped fannying about on the front side of the hill then the town clearence was really good, adders gave us good comms with durka and alpha squad so we knew where to go and what side to cover or base to capture. i noobed up by running out of ammo and noone had any spare :/ DMR not the flavour of the month anymore? also apologies to Phisher for the tk, i didnt know delta moved into town and there were enemy troops between the teams.

actually things got a little messy with in the last 10 mins, we were supposed to cover south east but we were flanked both sides by alpha team.

was a fun AO though, Roach was a good point man, never kept still and always pushing us forward - like this a lot ;) , Wolf was awesome medic, and adders was great on the comms.

In all-infantry AOs, those arty pieces are deadly, and I was surprised the tanks couldn't take them out fully.

this was very tough, and i can adding 'sucking at tank usuage' as part of my skill list (just above helo pilot, comms, map reading, teamspeak key setup and identifying friendly troops) ;) what is the best round to use against them? i shot a few vehicles no probs but used all the remaining SABOT and 15 HE rounds on the 2 D30 nests that we were taking fire from, the supply vehicle blows up instantly so i dont think i was being too retarded with the aiming but only 2 of the 6 d30 cannons seemed to blow up.

fired a SABOT at an infantry soldier by accident and he blew right up into the sky, must have been a direct hit poor guy :D

Also, I'm glad we hid the camps/radio tower, as it (hopefully) got you guys into navigating better. Delta was instrumental.

Whad did you think about the non-marked camps?

i could see the camps marked on the map :exclaim: if they were fake camp markers (little square markers that change from black to blue ?? ) then i apologise but whoever was marking the maps was quite a way off, in one case a few hundred meters far off. it makes little difference as you can see them easily anyway but that's not the point of the excersice i guess. i mentioned this on ts, so either all bravo could see the camp markers also, or they though i was talking sh1t as usual and just ignored me.

Edited by PANiC

That was undoubtedly the BEST Tac Dom night by far from my point of view.

It was a return to what I like best about this game, minimal Armour and Air usage, and heavy emphasis on the ground pounding.

Hiding enemy assets was a stroke of genius and really made us (Delta Recon) feel we were useful for a change. I love the recon role and this is what I have always played in any FPS games. One note on this though, Like Panic said, at some point the Enemy Camp Markers did reappear on the map though they definitely were not there at the start of the AO. Do they appear again when there is direct line of site?

Great comms and movement in Delta, considering the volume of fire and the amount of personnel thrown against us we managed with very few casualties and if I recall correctly, only once did we all get wiped out (damned artillery).

All in all a fantastic evening of gaming and a couple of serious requests.

1: More of the Infantry only AO's with no enemy assets on map.

2: Permenant assignment as Recon Medic.

Great job everyone, and great MC'ing Durka.

Dai out.

Legion of Sparta - Tactical Domination OPFOR
After Action Report
Friday, February 5th, 2010

Delta Team:
- Tholozor: Team Leader
- Dai-San: Corpsman
- Phisher: Marksman
- Behemoth: MG Gunner
- Custard: Machinegunner (Sortie 2)

Designated Assets:
- 1x MH-6 LittleBird scout helicopter
- 1x HMMWV (Mk19)

Sortie 1: Khelm
- Primary Objective: Reconnaissance and observation of OPFOR assets
- Secondary Objective: Distraction team
- Tertiary Objective: Elimination of OPFOR assets

Delta's insert was pretty smooth with the MH-6, we split into two teams, Dai-San and myself, Team 1, Phisher and Behemoth, Team 2. Team 2 was dropped of at Mt. Klen just on the Northwest edge of the AO to provide high-altitude reconnaissance and suppressive fire with the M107 and heavy MG (should the need arise). Team 1 took the LittleBird down to the lumber mill in the Southeast. As we descended we here hit with an AA missile, which (luckily) only took out our engine and tail rotor a few meters off the ground. We touched down, bailed, healed up, and moved on.

Team 1 took positions on top of the smokestack at the refinery north of our insertion. Team 2 was able to confirm the locations of the radio-tower, D-30 batteries, and all 3 camps. Team 1 confirmed the location of the radio-tower, and continued to provide reconnaissance on the southeastern side of the AO.

A Tunguska and a UAZ came within danger close of Team 1's position at the smokestack during our observation. Dai-San eliminated the Tunguska with a SMAW, and I took out the crew of the UAZ. Team 1 then came under heavy small arms fire from a massive Spetsnaz force (20+), and proceeded to abandon that location. Team 2 came under fire after constructing an MG Nest on the hill, which resulted in casualties from both Team 2 and Command.

Team 1 proceeded north along the railway tracks, under fire from the advancing Spetsnaz, continuing north along the beach. Team 2 inserted via para-drop north and south of Team 1's position as we continued to draw the enemy away from the AO. Delta team proceeded to hole up in a small section of woods that provided an open common ground any enemy would have to traverse to get us. As time progressed we came under consistently heavier attacks. Eventually we made the call to pull out to the north for extraction and re-tasking, unfortunately our position came under artillery attack, and Delta was a complete casualty.

After respawning at the main base, we para-dropped to the Vehicle Service station farther out to the west of the AO. Once regrouped, we took a HMMWV and proceeded east into the AO. We exchanged fire with straggling infantry and Spetsnaz as we proceeded. Delta eventually came into contact with an OPFOR player controlling a D-30 gun, and Dai-San took it out with another SMAW, as well as the OPFOR commander. Delta proceeded quickly to the radio-tower and eliminated it. As Alpha and Bravo swept through the town, Delta captured the western camp, and proceeded to dig in.

As the AO thinned out, Delta assisted in securing the west end of the AO and watching Alpha and Bravo's right flank. With the AO cleared, Delta proceeded back to our HMMWV to return to the Vehicle Service station for tasking. Behemoth took off, and we bid him adieu.

Sortie 2: Polana
- Primary Objective: Reconnaissance and observation of OPFOR assets.
- Secondary Objective: Elimination of OPFOR

After the success of capturing Khelm, we realized we would need some extra firepower if things got bad. We loaded our HMMWV up with extra SMAW round and a few rifles. Delta proceeded south on the road to get eyes on the AO and see if our desired OP was within safety limits. We regrouped with custard and continued on. With eyes on the AO, we could make our that our desired position was too close to enemy forces to warrant its use, so we proceeded northwest in the HMMWV around towards Gorka. While driving through Gorka, our HMMWV came under a rocket attack. Luckily we weren't hit, and we quickly dismounted and decided to proceed on foot.

En route to our next OP, we came into danger close contact with a UAZ with an SPG-9 mounted on the back, most likely our earlier attacker. With a quick M203 and some small arms fire we took it out. At this point things were becoming too dark to see. After a quick time check, Delta switched to NV gear and changed ROE to night-ops.

Proceeding south along the west side of the AO, we came into observation of a small squad-sized Spetsnaz force accompanying a Vodnik. Once moving into firing positions, we eliminated the Vodnik and the infantry in the immediate area.

Still working counter-clockwise around the AO, we observed one our birds come under SAM fire from our southeast. Believing the threat to be a vehicle, we decided to check it out on foot. After some searching, the threat turned out to be no more than a single AA soldier, easily dispatched.

With the majority of hostile forces seemingly grouped up together in the central area of the AO, we decided to proceeded to Durka's fake insertion markers and take that hill as an OP. However, the server crapped out on us, and at that time most of us decided to call it a night.

End of Report

My thanks to all of Delta team for a job well done! Durka for his coordination of friendly forces! And of course the OPFOR players for presenting a challenge! Good job everyone! Edited by Tholozor